+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ToBW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ToBW

Reminds me of the character in Dream Academys Life in a Northern Town.
    "He sat on the stoney ground, and he took a cigarette out, and everyone else, came round, to listen".
    Whilst I enjoy most of his blogs, the majority of responses from fellow posters, seem almost "desciple' like.
    The latest one didn't strike any chords with me.
    A fighting performance against a piss poor Villa side, is not gonna get my juices flowing.
    His references about Malky, and the so called gory days, with just a fleeting reference of the dates, and no mention of Jones seems typical.
    We played some of the best football ever seen from a City team under DJ, and were a whisker away from winning the FA cup, and promotion to the premier league, with a lesser budget, and IN BLUE.
    I do like most of Bobs Write ups and blogs, but this one seems as premature as a schoolboy looking through the window of a strip club.

Re: ToBW

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    "He sat on the stoney ground, and he took a cigarette out, and everyone else, came round, to listen".
    Whilst I enjoy most of his blogs, the majority of responses from fellow posters, seem almost "desciple' like.
    A fighting performance against a piss poor Villa side, is not gonna get my juices flowing.
    His references about Malky, and the so called gory days, with just a fleeting reference of the dates, and no mention of Jones seems typical.
    We played some of the best football ever seen from a City team under DJ, and were a whisker away from winning the FA cup, and promotion to the premier league, with a lesser budget, and IN BLUE.
    I do like most of Bobs Write ups and blogs, but this one seems as premature as a schoolboy looking through the window of a strip club.
    Do one yourself then, and we can compare your talent with his.

Please learn to spell before you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Do one yourself then, and we can compare your talent with his.

Please learn to spell before you do it.

Disciple no 1. Straight in with the boot!. It's an opinion, and only an opinion. Are we not allowed those on here? Sorry I missed the "L" out of glory. I will try harder in future.

Disciple no 1. Straight in with the boot!. It's an opinion, and only an opinion. Are we not allowed those on here? Sorry I missed the "L" out of glory. I will try harder in future.
    You need to.

Not sure why you couldn't have debated this in the thread concerned.

I actually think leaving the 'L' out works just as well...those 10 consecutive wins weren't great viewing

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Not sure why you couldn't have debated this in the thread concerned.
    The more football threads on here the better ?. Your right though. I probably should have.

desciple - That's wrong as well.

The more football threads on here the better ?. Your right though. I probably should have.
    ''You're right though'' - sorry!

Would you also agree that we were also capable of playing utter horseshit under Jones and had we been able to use the term 'fighting performance' under his stewardship we would have gone up under Jones? For every great result under DJ there was a shocking, spineless effort that Trollope's time succeeded in emulating.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Would you also agree that we were also capable of playing utter horseshit under Jones and had we been able to use the term 'fighting performance' under his stewardship we would have gone up under Jones? For every great result under DJ there was a shocking, spineless effort that Trollope's time succeeded in emulating.
    I was a big fan of D.J But a fighting spirit was the missing factor in his sides.

I can't agree with that I'm sorry.

Where I agree about the shocking and almost unbelievable capitulations that we witnessed under DJ that saw the team miss out on promotion, they were far, FAR outweighed by the number of games when the team played well, otherwise surely the team would have been at the other end of the table?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I can't agree with that I'm sorry.

Where I agree about the shocking and almost unbelievable capitulations that we witnessed under DJ that saw the team miss out on promotion, they were far, FAR outweighed by the number of games when the team played well, otherwise surely the team would have been at the other end of the table?!
    Eric was a Jones hater, way above and beyond the call of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Well that is just daft.

Each manager and player should be judged on their merits, performances and results.

Jones was at the club a while and delivered some good times and good football (importantly) as well as the occasional toe-curlingly bad ones.

Trollope on the other hand.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Well that is just daft.

Each manager and player should be judged on their merits, performances and results.

Jones was at the club a while and delivered some good times and good football (importantly) as well as the occasional toe-curlingly bad ones.

Trollope on the other hand.......
    If Trollope had cut it , we would have been playing some great football .
    He didn't .
    That said I do enjoy Warnocks blood and thunder style .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I got utterly fed up of the way we could look brilliant under Jones' management and look invincible, then be completely rubbish for weeks on end. His squad was arguably the best the club has had in many a year yet Jones' failings in terms of man management (at times), tactically and in terms of getting his teams to battle and scrap for points (you have agreed with these things btw) when things weren't going our way cost a good side promotion. If he is given credit for the good results and performances, he also gets the opposite when things were dreadful. We should have been the first Welsh team in the Premier League and, if we had, we'd have been on a better footing than the side that eventually went up in 2013. Who knows where it would have led?

I got utterly fed up of the way we could look brilliant under Jones' management and look invincible, then be completely rubbish for weeks on end. His squad was arguably the best the club has had in many a year yet Jones' failings in terms of man management (at times), tactically and in terms of getting his teams to battle and scrap for points (you have agreed with these things btw) when things weren't going our way cost a good side promotion. If he is given credit for the good results and performances, he also gets the opposite when things were dreadful. We should have been the first Welsh team in the Premier League and, if we had, we'd have been on a better footing than the side that eventually went up in 2013. Who knows where it would have led?
    I have agreed we had a soft belly. but I was enjoying the football in the whole and felt Jones was being slated in certain quarters because he wasn't pretending to be the fans best pal.
    At the time I just didn't quite understand why you disliked him so much.
    Couple of interesting things I have learned since.
    I had a pint with Nathan Blake at a Wales game and asked him about Jones,s managerial style. He reckoned Jones got a couple of leaders in the dressing room and pretty much left it up to them. Obviously there was more to him than just that as he had a good eye for a footballer that would play to the style he wanted them too.

I disliked Slade so much I couldn't see any good in him, I cant explain why he made me feel like that, was it because he looked disinterested during the game, his press conferences were full of cliches , I dunno but I didn't like him and was super critical of him. I guess it made me realise if you dont like someone, you dont like em.

That's a fair point, but surely Jones name should never be uttered in the same sentence as Trollope?

That's a fair point, but surely Jones name should never be uttered in the same sentence as Trollope?
    Did DJ shag a trollop ?

Come to think about it, we've played utter horseshite at times under any manager I can remember.

Your reaction to someone who disagreed with you is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'll say the same to you - I was aware of the possibility that it could look as if I was jumping to conclusions too early, so covered myself, or thought I did, with the use of the word "seem" in the title of the piece and with the analogy that a frost could still kill off those "green shoots of recovery" I mentioned. Still, if you disagree with me, then fine - unlike some I can think of, all comments really are welcome.

That said, I can't help thinking that you misunderstood my intention in using Malky Mackay's 2011/12 team as a foundation to build the piece on. Any notion that I was intending to be critical of Dave Jones somehow exists in your head rather than mine - that was never the reasoning behind what I wrote. My point was that five years ago to the day since the Villa match there was an occasion when the club we support felt like "our Cardiff City" and there were a few more before the end of the 11/12 season when it felt like that. Since then though there have been a series of events, starting with the rebrand, which have dictated that it has barely ever felt like "our Cardiff City".

Recent home matches have seen an increase in excitement and entertainment and, for me, the atmosphere has improved in proportion to this. So many people and players have come and gone from the club in the last few years who never got to see what I'd call a genuine City atmosphere was like, but, if Monday does turn out to be Bruno Manga's last match for us, at least he can leave now having experienced what it feels like on occasions when it is "our Cardiff City" performing out there on the pitch.

One last thing regarding Dave Jones. I feel that Neil Warnock and Malky Mackay possess a degree of charisma that Dave Jones doesn't, but you will see that I said

"So, as I've mentioned in one or two earlier pieces, home matches have become more enjoyable under Neil Warnock, but, five years to the day since that Reading game I mentioned at the start and with Joe Ralls again to the fore, the beating of this expensively assembled Villa team moved things on to a different level - this was what supporting Cardiff City used to feel like on one of those very good days that we had become used to experiencing on a fairly regular basis between the years of 2000 to 2012."

in my piece, the date range I mentioned covered the whole of the period when Dave Jones was manager. There were plenty of occasions during Dave Jones' time in charge when it felt like "our Cardiff City" - I'm just so pleased that it's beginning to feel like that again under Neil Warnock, because it never did under Ole, Russell Slade or Paul Trollope.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Your reaction to someone who disagreed with you is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'll say the same to you - I was aware of the possibility that it could look as if I was jumping to conclusions too early, so covered myself, or thought I did, with the use of the word "seem" in the title of the piece and with the analogy that a frost could still kill off those "green shoots of recovery" I mentioned. Still, if you disagree with me, then fine - unlike some I can think of, all comments really are welcome.

That said, I can't help thinking that you misunderstood my intention in using Malky Mackay's 2011/12 team as a foundation to build the piece on. Any notion that I was intending to be critical of Dave Jones somehow exists in your head rather than mine - that was never the reasoning behind what I wrote. My point was that five years ago to the day since the Villa match there was an occasion when the club we support felt like "our Cardiff City" and there were a few more before the end of the 11/12 season when it felt like that. Since then though there have been a series of events, starting with the rebrand, which have dictated that it has barely ever felt like "our Cardiff City".

Recent home matches have seen an increase in excitement and entertainment and, for me, the atmosphere has improved in proportion to this. So many people and players have come and gone from the club in the last few years who never got to see what I'd call a genuine City atmosphere was like, but, if Monday does turn out to be Bruno Manga's last match for us, at least he can leave now having experienced what it feels like on occasions when it is "our Cardiff City" performing out there on the pitch.

One last thing regarding Dave Jones. I feel that Neil Warnock and Malky Mackay possess a degree of charisma that Dave Jones doesn't, but you will see that I said

"So, as I've mentioned in one or two earlier pieces, home matches have become more enjoyable under Neil Warnock, but, five years to the day since that Reading game I mentioned at the start and with Joe Ralls again to the fore, the beating of this expensively assembled Villa team moved things on to a different level - this was what supporting Cardiff City used to feel like on one of those very good days that we had become used to experiencing on a fairly regular basis between the years of 2000 to 2012."

in my piece, the date range I mentioned covered the whole of the period when Dave Jones was manager. There were plenty of occasions during Dave Jones' time in charge when it felt like "our Cardiff City" - I'm just so pleased that it's beginning to feel like that again under Neil Warnock, because it never did under Ole, Russell Slade or Paul Trollope.
    Some fair points there. I do feel though, that Jones "lack of charisma" was almost certainly (in my opinion) due to the bitterness he must have felt over the false allegations and the traumatic time he and his family had faced.
    I'm amazed he carried on in the game at all.
    That said, he was earning a good living at the time from us, and rightly so, shouldn't have been, and wasn't, exempt from Critiscism, for some of the spineless displays from his teams.
    As for the feeling of "it's our Cardiff City again", then I agree with you about Warnock. I've always wanted him to manage us. He always gives 100%, what ever club he's at, and his teams usually reflect his siege mentality.
    As I said, I usually enjoy your contributions and blogs, but with all that's happened since the play off defeat against West Ham, I feel it's gonna take a lot more than a few battling performances before it feels like my Cardiff City again.
    By the way, my earliest memories of supporting the City, was following a sleeping giant, who regularly put in inept performances, and never seemed to be going in anywhere fast,in any direction for most of the time. Lol!

What a refreshing and guileless post. I like people who think for themselves. You are completely wrong, of course, but that doesn't matter because you are an independent thinker and not a member of the in-group of politically correct dullards and tinpot tyrants who are destroying this messageboard. You know the type : "You are a bad man and I'm going to put you in cornfield".

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    What a refreshing and guileless post. I like people who think for themselves. You are completely wrong, of course, but that doesn't matter because you are an independent thinker and not a member of the in-group of politically correct dullards and tinpot tyrants who are destroying this messageboard. You know the type : "You are a bad man and I'm going to put you in cornfield".
    Guileless. Now there's a word you don't see very often. I have to ask. Are you Organ in disguise?