+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rudy Gestede with the 50p head gets sold again.

Rudy Gestede with the 50p head gets sold again.

Off to Middlesborough for between 6 and 7 million pounds.

How did he manage that?

Always liked him but he is never a 6 million pounds striker (twice over)

Re: Rudy Gestede with the 50p head gets sold again.

30+ million between him and McCormack since they left us.
    And we got what for them? Less than 1 million put together?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Did you see McCormack the for Villa the other day? We did well to get anything for him on that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Did you see McCormack the for Villa the other day? We did well to get anything for him on that performance.
    Sounds absurd but I reckon he's still a soft spot for us judging by his performances against us... I can't remember him doing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Sounds absurd but I reckon he's still a soft spot for us judging by his performances against us... I can't remember him doing anything?
    He did the Ayatollah at Villa away ....

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Hit the bar (not the drinking type), with a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    thats because we had managers who did not want to develop promise, or work with players like Ross , Rudy had potential for all to see except Malky who looked afar for a 10 million plus solution .

A lot of our managers focus was on loans, buying off crafty agents with excessive wages linked to the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    thats because we had managers who did not want to develop promise, or work with players like Ross , Rudy had potential for all to see except Malky who looked afar for a 10 million plus solution .

A lot of our managers focus was on loans, buying off crafty agents with excessive wages linked to the deal.
    Ross was a piss head who went of the rails here.

He had to get away to sort his life out.

I always said that Rudy would make it

you could tell by the way he couldnt trap the ball, run with the ball or jump to head the ball

he was always going to be a star

I always said he was a premier league player and even won a bet for £50 with someone on here who never posted again after he lost

I also remember that big nose chino berk calling him a league one player non stop, shows how little some people know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I always said he was a premier league player and even won a bet for £50 with someone on here who never posted again after he lost

I also remember that big nose chino berk calling him a league one player non stop, shows how little some people know.
    I remember that but I don't remember the poster?

Perhaps a better people manager like Warnock would have done a better job then off just load, we had a few at the club at the time who all sorts of bad behaviors ,Ross was short changed in my view and off loaded way too quickly ,as an easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I remember that but I don't remember the poster?
    Mr bad guy, never posted under that name again after about 10 years of using it

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I hope that whatever muppet was in charge of contracts at the time we sold him put in a couple of sell on clauses - I somehow doubt it.

He is nowhere near a 6-7 million pound striker though
    You dont need to look far for the muppets....... He still owns and they still oversee the running of the club? So desperate were they to reduce the wage bill we accepted a pittance for him......... What a basket case of a club we are because this is not an isolated case. Take a look at the championship winning squad and how much we got for them???? And it continues and goes on and on since those times. We bought in goodness knows how many players in aug last year who it would appear we dont want anymore......... What do you think we will get for them??

I don't think any premier league club other than Boro (quite a defensive system and relegation candidates) would have made an offer for Rudy. He's a very decent striker at this level but on a bigger stage he had that one good game against Liverpool as a one off and a pretty nothing run at Villa. However, it is yet more evidence that 6-7 million can be quite easily spent on a striker which is unlikely to score many goals at premier league level.

Ross McCormack is another who is very good at this level and it always surprised me (from a football point of view) that Chopra was favoured so heavily over him. That may be built upon that one supreme season Ross had here but I couldn't ever image City being one nil down and Chopra scoring two goals in five minutes (one straight from kick-off) to turn it around. He's gone on to have very good seasons at Leeds and Fulham but the prices that have been paid for him could have got you a decent premier league player and I'm not sure he's quite that.

They have mentioned Rudis transfer on talksport on a couple of occasions this morning. Alan Brazil and another commentator questioned Rudis ability and how the figure of 6m was arrived at for him.

Apparently he was pissed about Chopra getting the central striker role and him having to play out wide.
    Having said that I think his best ever spell was here at the City. He has struggled to match that at both Fulham and Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Apparently he was pissed about Chopra getting the central striker role and him having to play out wide.
    Having said that I think his best ever spell was here at the City. He has struggled to match that at both Fulham and Villa.
    He had a better scoring record at both Leeds and Fulham (and a slow start at Leeds too):

Cardiff: 25 goals (74 appearances)

Leeds: 53 goals (140 appearances)

Fulham: 38 goals (89 appearances)

I accept that he was played 'out of position' a lot under Dave Jones and that could have kept him out of the goals, and that there is more to his game than just scoring, but it is still hard to argue that he was at his best with us.

He has indeed struggled to be the player he once was.
    We did OK business offloading Ross when we did. The unfortunate reasons have been mentioned often enough to avoid repeating, and clearly he has been OK rather than brilliant since.

Neither has Chops gone on to greater things. It's a cruel world if you let it get to you.

Off to Middlesborough for between 6 and 7 million pounds.

How did he manage that?

Always liked him but he is never a 6 million pounds striker (twice over)
    To be fair Jimmy, I am sure City recouped around 600K as 10% sell on clause ?????

To be fair Jimmy, I am sure City recouped around 600K as 10% sell on clause ?????
    Happy days , £600,000 would have been all his worth in my humble opinion.