+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do you trust Warnock?

Do you trust Warnock?

Probably a bit of a misleading title but i didn't know what title to give!

I've been browsing the forums the last few days and I've noticed the recent clamour for Tan to "back" Warnock in this window.

This only highlights to me how bizarre sections of our fan base are.

We moan when we're not self sufficient and we moan when we're trying to be self sufficient.

Not only that but i believe bringing in a "proven" striker could block the pathway and hinder the progress of players like Zohore, Fred and Mark Harris.

I believe when Warnock said that Zohore has saved him 1.5 million he is basically saying there are other positions that are far more pressing at the moment.

I think creativity and pace are far more important for us at present given that i don't think we'll go down and it will give Colin til the end of the season to assess whether the 3 strikers i have mentioned can push on to the next level.

I have seen enough potential in Zohore to show me that he can play an of 3 roles;

Up top on his own

As a target man in a 4-4-2

Or as the forward running in behind

Warnock has said that he hopes to sign a couple of players as building blocks ready for next season. I trust him that knows exactly what he's doing and i don't think he'll be pissing away 250k on a Connor Mcaleny on loan when we've got nothing to play just to keep himself in a job like Slade did.

Re: Do you trust Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

I've been browsing the forums the last few days and I've noticed the recent clamour for Tan to "back" Warnock in this window.

We moan when we're not self sufficient and we moan when we're trying to be self sufficient.

Not only that but i believe bringing in a "proven" striker could block the pathway and hinder the progress of players like Zohore, Fred and Mark Harris.

I believe when Warnock said that Zohore has saved him 1.5 million he is basically saying there are other positions that are far more pressing at the moment.

I think creativity and pace are far more important for us at present given that i don't think we'll go down and it will give Colin til the end of the season to assess whether the 3 strikers i have mentioned can push on to the next level.

I have seen enough potential in Zohore to show me that he can play an of 3 roles;

Up top on his own

Warnock has said that he hopes to sign a couple of players as building blocks ready for next season. I trust him that knows exactly what he's doing and i don't think he'll be pissing away 250k on a Connor Mcaleny on loan when we've got nothing to play just to keep himself in a job like Slade did.
    You dont have to trust him just believe in him, he's a football man , down to earth, got time for folks , says as it is, knows the game

Up top on his own

Did Slade really spend that money to loan McAleny?

Also, whatever you say about Warnock, he's a proper football man and I'd back him to make the right calls to keep us up this season, and push us towards a playoff challenge next year. I think we could see his squad taking shape next summer as opposed to in Jan where people are more reluctant to sell.

Zahore seemed to be bought as one to develop and Fred as a very similar player to take starting spot until he did. I don't think Fred has much developing left to do, though could always improve by settling into this league better and working on the 1%'s.

I think one of the main problems previous managers have had in recent times is that the squad seems so unbalanced. For example, there was a time under Slade where we started with Mason and KJ in front of a midfield so the entire middle and final third was one paced and that pace was slow-just above slow. You could also look to see how we've seemingly had 5-6 good choice CB's but no striker who could both score and run around a bit for the team. I trust that under Warnock we can bring greater balance to the squad and increase our threat, but we can also do that by shipping out 4-5 and bringing in 3-4 and being somewhat financially sensible.

We need to be more self-sufficient. Reduce the size of the pitch and plant veg.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Zahore seemed to be bought as one to develop and Fred as a very similar player to take starting spot until he did. I don't think Fred has much developing left to do, though could always improve by settling into this league better and working on the 1%'s.

I think one of the main problems previous managers have had in recent times is that the squad seems so unbalanced. For example, there was a time under Slade where we started with Mason and KJ in front of a midfield so the entire middle and final third was one paced and that pace was slow-just above slow. You could also look to see how we've seemingly had 5-6 good choice CB's but no striker who could both score and run around a bit for the team. I trust that under Warnock we can bring greater balance to the squad and increase our threat, but we can also do that by shipping out 4-5 and bringing in 3-4 and being somewhat financially sensible.
    I totally agree with this. I can't remember a time where we've had a good balalnce to the team let alone the squad.

Even under Dave Jones we suffered with a lack of pace. The only time i thought 'we've got it right' was the brief period when Routledge was here and Ledley was playing box to box midfielder.

Malky's teams were very efficient in grinding out results but i always thought creativity was sparce and our midfiled was always far too deep.

It's not even worth commenting on what we've had since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Did Slade really spend that money to loan McAleny?

Also, whatever you say about Warnock, he's a proper football man and I'd back him to make the right calls to keep us up this season, and push us towards a playoff challenge next year. I think we could see his squad taking shape next summer as opposed to in Jan where people are more reluctant to sell.
    I believe it was about 250k. Fair enough if we were challenging at the top, but considering we were in very little danger of being dragged into a fight that's a huge fee for someone like Mcaleny with his injury record and i can only assume that he done it to finish as high up the table as possible that season to keep his job which was under threat at the time.

I believe it was about 250k. Fair enough if we were challenging at the top, but considering we were in very little danger of being dragged into a fight that's a huge fee for someone like Mcaleny with his injury record and i can only assume that he done it to finish as high up the table as possible that season to keep his job which was under threat at the time.
    That ties in with Slade's reluctance to use those last couple of meaningless months of the 14/15 seasonal, when we had no chance of finishing in the top six or being relegated, to try out a few youngsters. We finished that season quite well to finish a few places higher up the table than had seemed likely for much of the time - as far as I'm concerned, it made little difference where we finished in that group that were destined to occupy positions nine to sixteen, but Slade probably felt that it made a difference to his job security.

That's shocking, he rarely played him as well, even if I thought he looked half decent. If it includes his wages (I'm guessing it doesn't) then it's not quite so bad but still, we had a few wide options at the time as well.