+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Yellowstone

Yellowstone

BBC2. Anyone else been watching it. Tremendous viewing. Wildlife at its best. Never realised the size of the place. Larger in area than the whole of Scotland.

Re: Yellowstone

Supervolcano that's going to blow one day.
    hopefully not in our lifetimes.

Potentially fascinating but the constant interruptions by babbling presenters grinning hysterically turned it into Blue Peter Does Nature. The first series about Yellowstone which was made a few years back was far better. Despite this, I could have coped with Kate Humble on her own!

Fantastic place - lucky enough to have spent a few days there twice in the last few years.
    If you want to stay overnight in park-run accommodation then book as far in advance as you can; otherwise plenty of lodging immediately outside park gates especially the west gate. Choice of eateries there too but be sure to get IN and OUT the park gates v v early to avoid queues. So much wildlife and geological phenomena to see there, just wonderful. But PLAN your route and activities - the park is closed through Oct - May as climate is severe. Is the BBC series in 3 episodes (shown a few years back)? If so be sure to see the one on winter and how wildlife survives months of sub-zero temperatures and several feet of snow.

If I knew how to attach photos I'd attach a few to illustrate what you can get close to. And if anyone wants further tips, then feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Fantastic place - lucky enough to have spent a few days there twice in the last few years.
    If you want to stay overnight in park-run accommodation then book as far in advance as you can; otherwise plenty of lodging immediately outside park gates especially the west gate. Choice of eateries there too but be sure to get IN and OUT the park gates v v early to avoid queues. So much wildlife and geological phenomena to see there, just wonderful. But PLAN your route and activities - the park is closed through Oct - May as climate is severe. Is the BBC series in 3 episodes (shown a few years back)? If so be sure to see the one on winter and how wildlife survives months of sub-zero temperatures and several feet of snow.

If I knew how to attach photos I'd attach a few to illustrate what you can get close to. And if anyone wants further tips, then feel free to PM me.
    The one shown a few years back was superb but this is a new one and isn't a patch on the original (IMO of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

I must admit. My good lady and I are both up for a visit in the near future. I also hope to make a visit to the Grand Canyon and the remains of the Alamo.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I must admit. My good lady and I are both up for a visit in the near future. I also hope to make a visit to the Grand Canyon and the remains of the Alamo.
    I spent two weeks in Yellowstone two years ago Absolutely awesome The bloody ground level heaves by 18" when it feels like , A hill can vary in height from day to day, unbelievable. Wildlife was awesome Wolves Bears Buffalo. Bald eagles and amazing geysers all over the bloody place. You will remember it for the rest of your life I promise you. I went July/August. Bloody hot then. But only 3 month a year without snow evidently. Will try and attach some pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The Grand Canyon is great - check out this walkway, proper freaked me out I can tell you

https://goo.gl/images/BKkzIY

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The Grand Canyon is great - check out this walkway, proper freaked me out I can tell you

https://goo.gl/images/BKkzIY
    Didnt make the Grand Canyon, spent too much time at Yellowstone as has been said its like a Country in size.