+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Grant Leadbitter

Grant Leadbitter

I notice he's out of contract in the summer and he hasn't been getting much game time at Boro this season (though he started at Old Trafford last week). I've always thought he was an excellent player at championship level and would love to see us try to sign him.

The lad Isgrove only has 6 months left too.

Re: Grant Leadbitter

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I notice he's out of contract in the summer and he hasn't been getting much game time at Boro this season (though he started at Old Trafford last week). I've always thought he was an excellent player at championship level and would love to see us try to sign him.

The lad Isgrove only has 6 months left too.
    Isgrove (who I think might be signed by someone permanently this month) has to be the more realistic target for us unless Tan is planning to really push the boat out again when it comes to the football budget - can't see it happening myself and I'm not sure I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isgrove (who I think might be signed by someone permanently this month) has to be the more realistic target for us unless Tan is planning to really push the boat out again when it comes to the football budget - can't see it happening myself and I'm not sure I want it to.

I'm with you Bob. I don't want us to spend big again and repeat the mistakes of recent years.

We have got to find a way of being competitive without breaking the bank.

One way we can do this is by furthering the academy and another way is using Tan's other clubs in Belgium and Bosnia.

I wonder if there are any players in these clubs who could do a job here.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm with you Bob. I don't want us to spend big again and repeat the mistakes of recent years.

We have got to find a way of being competitive without breaking the bank.

One way we can do this is by furthering the academy and another way is using Tan's other clubs in Belgium and Bosnia.

I wonder if there are any players in these clubs who could do a job here.
    Idriss Saadi?

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Idriss Saadi?
    He's probably their best player but think of all the Belgian talent, it might be an idea for us to invest in their youth academy, at least some good scouts.

Regarding how to become competitive without breaking the bank, I don't think we're a million miles away. We've certainly got to stop wasting money on players like Huws etc and reduce the wage bill, but if we're smart we could build a fairly good squad pretty quickly. With a bit of pace in the side, and more goals from midfield, plus a striker and a keeper, we could have a real side on our hands. Warnock has lucked out with Bamba and Hoilett, if we can be smart and lucky with 3 players in Jan and 3 in the summer, with a few the other way, I'd be cautiously optimistic, provided Warnock was still here. Admittedly, finding a goalscorer on the cheap isn't exactly easy. However, as thehumblegringo has posted on another thread, Joe Ledley is available on a free in the summer, as is Fraizer Campbell. I'm not saying we should get both but they are semi-realistic and players like them are out there. For what it is worth, I'd love to see both back, especially Joe. Also, Wayne Hennessey is available on a free, again, ambitious but they are out there!