+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Went

Paul Went

Just read that the former City defender has sadly passed away.

RIP Bluebird.

Re: Paul Went

Played under Jimmy Andrews, he was a decent centre half, no nonsense type. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    R I P Paul

We could do with some one like him now in defence, scored a few as well

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    R I P Paul

We could do with some one like him now in defence, scored a few as well
    Just had a look, he averaged a goal every seven games for us, for a centre half that's pretty good, fair play.

Just had a look, he averaged a goal every seven games for us, for a centre half that's pretty good, fair play.

Yeah he scored 11 out of 72 games (Wiki)

Didn't he play up front sometimes?

Echo this mate. Fond memories of him in my teenage years. Part of a good city team back in the day. Fairly quick for a big lump too. Sure he played one or two games up front for us as well as centre back

Paul's gone then?
    R I P Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Paul's gone then?
    R I P Bluebird

Well that's that elephant out of the room

RIP Bluebird

Remember him well - very strongly built player.

RIP Paul Went

Yes I saw him up front , imposing old type brave committed to the cause type of center half ,a good buy.

RIP Paul thanks for the effort and memories .

RIP Paul Went.

" Ironshins " my mate Wilf used to call him. Tough geezer.

Played as an emergency striker for us at times as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Just read that the former City defender has sadly passed away.

RIP Bluebird.
    Blimey. That IS so sad to hear. Only 67.

I remember when we signed him.

Condolence to his family.

I remember him playing in a relegation decider against Crystal Palace when he dislocated his shoulder, left the field with his arm in the air and returned 10 minutes later after receiving treatment. Nowadays a player would be out for at least a month with that. Tough guy and a decent centre half.

RIP - good player.

Paul was a great player for us, but for me will always be remembered for the help and support he gave to the Cardiff City Action Group in the late 70's.
    Despite not coming from the area he gave his time freely to help raise funds for the club when it was on its arse, we were in dire straits at the time and we had to sell Peter Sayer. He would turn up for barbecue and auction nights that sort of thing and was supported in all this by his wife Wendy, he said he needed to do this as Cardiff had become very dear to him and realised something had to be done to help the club.
    It is for all of this I will remember Paul, what a great servant he was at the time RIP Paul.

A mate and I have just been reminiscing about Paul Went and we think he may have gone in goals for us at one game, possibly when Ron Healy went off injured. There was another player around at the time that had the same profile as Paul Went - Steve Kindon of Burnley, big lump of a player too. R.I.P Paul Went.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    A mate and I have just been reminiscing about Paul Went and we think he may have gone in goals for us at one game, possibly when Ron Healy went off injured. There was another player around at the time that had the same profile as Paul Went - Steve Kindon of Burnley, big lump of a player too. R.I.P Paul Went.
    Spedger
    Spedger, do you mean Burnley centre half Colin Waldron? Steve Kindon was a winger I think.

Made my debut on the Bob bank the same season he joined us. Rest easy big fella.

Spedger, do you mean Burnley centre half Colin Waldron? Steve Kindon was a winger I think.
    Defo Steve Kindon IG. I was relating to his build rather than position he played at. I remember him playing at Ninian Park for Burnley and I am sure Paul Went was playing in same game.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Defo Steve Kindon IG. I was relating to his build rather than position he played at. I remember him playing at Ninian Park for Burnley and I am sure Paul Went was playing in same game.
    Spedger

Yes. The squads were a lot smaller back then and also if a player got injured with only one sub, centre back playing centre forward wasn't uncommon where the ball was often lumped into the box (unlike nowadays of course

Joe Dwyer did the same for Wales at NP I remember.

Paul Went... Thanks for the memories Bluebird.

I remember his debut against Bolton for us. Gave away a penalty and scored an own goal in the first half but we went on to win 3-2. Turned out to be a fantastic player for us. A very sad day. RIP Paul and thanks for the memories.

First Team

One of my favourite players of that era.
    Big and committed and certainly a player many fans liked.
    RIP