+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil said he wanted a versatile player...

Neil said he wanted a versatile player...

After the Brentford game Warnock wasnt happy with the lack of options on the bench and wanted a squad player who could cover a load of positions... Seems like he's gone for one of the most versatile of the lot...

Re: Neil said he wanted a versatile player...

Paul Warhurst

Or maybe Roger Gibbons or Nicky Plataneur

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Paul Warhurst
    That was the first name that came to my mind too. Maybe a bit too mature these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    That was the first name that came to my mind too. Maybe a bit too mature these days?
    John Charles

Joe Ledley

Names been mentioned elsewhere now, so, Greg Halford.

Defender, Midfielder and Striker all in one and a long throw to rival Gunarsson.

No more than a squad player i'd imagine, but fits the bill of the versatile all-rounder that Warnock was after.
    Last edited by ccfcwelshlad; 05-01-17 at 23:04.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Names been mentioned elsewhere now, so, Greg Halford.

Defender, Midfielder and Striker all in one and a long throw to rival Gunarsson.

No more than a squad player i'd imagine, but fits the bill of the versatile all-rounder that Warnock was after.
    Leader

Fair play to him mind, he's been a Thorne in our side on many occasions and is the sort of physical feisty character Warnock loves.
    Another 6 footer too if I remember right

Halford done deal
    Welcome

I read a largely positive Q and A with a QPR fan at the time of Warnock's appointment by City in which it was said that we should expect "underwhelming" signings that often work. Well. for me. Halford, at 32 and having only played fourteen times this season for what is obviously the Championship's weakest team, falls into the underwhelming category and I dread to think what the reaction would have been on here if exactly the same signing had been made by Russell Slade - i suppose it all depends now on whether the QPR fan was right about the second part of what he said.

The cost I've seen is 100K which makes it quite a risk free signing.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The cost I've seen is 100K which makes it quite a risk free signing.
    He's a short stop gap to ensure we survive , I don't think we should buy big as it adds in risk ,with players like Halford you know your going to get a steady performer who will do a job in closing games down or carrying out a managers instructions .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He's a short stop gap to ensure we survive , I don't think we should buy big as it adds in risk ,with players like Halford you know your going to get a steady performer who will do a job in closing games down or carrying out a managers instructions .
    This.

He keeps talking about the squad being unbalanced and I think this window will just be getting the squad into a position where Warnock is more comfortable with it. I think the Summer is where we may see a greater overhaul, as he tries to increase the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    What a shock