Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
Doesn't particularly rate Jordan Rhodes?

I can't argue with his goal scoring record but i think personally that he brings absolutely NOTHING ELSE to the table.

He not fast, strong, can't beat a man, not good at linking the play etc.

I'd be disappointed if we signed him.
No you're not, to me Rhodes is the type of player who provokes arguments about whether it is enough for a striker to merely score goals in this day and age.

I mentioned in my blog piece for the Villa match that Ross McCormack has never does much against City since he left us - I should really have said that he never scores against us (I've not checked this, but, from memory, I don't think he's scored a single goal against City since he moved to Leeds), because he has still been effective against us with his all round play, but, that's not the case with Rhodes.

I recall him scoring what was possibly his first goal for Ipswich against us in a match played not long before the 2008 FA Cup Final and he scored a couple against us for Huddersfield in that 5-3 League Cup game, but I can't remember another league goal by him against City - for whatever reason, we've been able to stop him scoring in recent years and, as long as you do that, seeing Rhodes' name in the opposition line up is a good thing, because he'll never harm you in the way McCormack can when he isn't scoring.