+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Halford - Signing confirmed

Greg Halford - Signing confirmed

Re: greg halford

Played under Warnock last season presumably. Certainly fits the versatile criteria.

Please no

Done, according to this - 100K.

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk...ender-reports/

Bit of a hard-knock in his day but certainly a solid pro and the kind you appreciate when a fight is on. He's 32 now and 5 or 6 years ago would have been a good acquisition but at least Warnock knows what he's getting and presumably is not looking beyond guaranteeing Championship football next season. Chosen to stiffen up a few backbones at CCS.

I'll trust Warnock on this one. He worked with him last season so will know his attitude and his ability. I'm thinking Warnock is bringing in one or two players that won't cost much but will be chasing one or two with bigger fee's to

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I'll trust Warnock on this one. He worked with him last season so will know his attitude and his ability. I'm thinking Warnock is bringing in one or two players that won't cost much but will be chasing one or two with bigger fee's to

That's how i feel about it. With Slade i always felt he was taking a punt built on guess work more than anything else but Warnock has tried and tested methods and he spoke very highly of Halford in his Q&A night in Ponty. I think Warnock will want Halford to be his eyes and ears like a shaun derry, clint hill type.

F uck me, he's had more clubs than Arnold Palmer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Halford

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Not a bad goal scoring record for a defender.

40 years of touring with Judas Priest as well.

Ridiculous signing and further demonstrates the direction the club continues it journey on .......

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    100 K is nothing money, would think he will not e on massive wages either

a player to have on the bench to cover a few positions

its a low risk purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    That photo must've been taken yesterday too.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    100 K is nothing money, would think he will not e on massive wages either

a player to have on the bench to cover a few positions

its a low risk purchase
    People were saying they'd be happy for noone to go for 300k.

The firesale has made people lose there heads on what players are worth. They'll accept anything as if it's monopoly money.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Ridiculous signing and further demonstrates the direction the club continues it journey on .......
    Agree. I can't understand why we signed him. He plays right back and we've already gig Peltier and Richards as cover. He's old and past his best , and he plays fir Rotherham. Unless he's just for squad depth I think it's pretty disappointing.

Although the player must be delighted to be leaving Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Agree. I can't understand why we signed him. He plays right back and we've already gig Peltier and Richards as cover. He's old and past his best , and he plays fir Rotherham. Unless he's just for squad depth I think it's pretty disappointing.

From what I understand, he can play pretty much anywhere on the pitch which makes him a handy guy to have on the bench as cover, but I'm not expecting to see him start many games tbh.

Re: Greg Halford - Signing confirmed

Longer throw than Gunnar as well

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Happy with this. He looks really good.

I suspect that Halford has been brought in to play as a defensive midfielder as this is where he played for Warnock at Rotherham last season. Makes sense as it will allow Bamba to revert to his normal centre half position alongside Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    From what I understand, he can play pretty much anywhere on the pitch which makes him a handy guy to have on the bench as cover, but I'm not expecting to see him start many games tbh.
    Looks like he's played everywhere on the pitch except left back and left midfield during his career - he's even trained part time as a goalkeeper during his time at Portsmouth and Sheffield United.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

He can play anywhere and NW speaks very highly of him. He doesn't trust Richards to stay fit, and with him on the bench if there are any injuries, he can slot in easily in any position. Halford isn't going to be a first team regular but Warnock has spoken about how unbalanced the squad is and how he wanted a utility player. I think we'll see a few types of signings to address this the squad balance with a bigger shake up in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He can play anywhere and NW speaks very highly of him. He doesn't trust Richards to stay fit, and with him on the bench if there are any injuries, he can slot in easily in any position. Halford isn't going to be a first team regular but Warnock has spoken about how unbalanced the squad is and how he wanted a utility player. I think we'll see a few types of signings to address this the squad balance with a bigger shake up in the summer.
    Halford's had his own problems with injuries in recent years.

However, as a low cost utility player on an 18 month contract and (I assume) trusted by the manager to be a leader on the pitch and a positive voice in the dressing room, it isn't a risky signing and could turn out to be very astute.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Happy with this. He looks really good.
    That's the kiss of death for him then.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Halford's had his own problems with injuries in recent years.

However, as a low cost utility player on an 18 month contract and (I assume) trusted by the manager to be a leader on the pitch and a positive voice in the dressing room, it isn't a risky signing and could turn out to be very astute.
    He's only got a year left on his contract and if Rotherham can afford his wages, I doubt he's breaking the bank here. I think he's a nice option to have on the bench and is pretty risk free, as you say. He's mainly played as a centre half for Rotherham so he might be Manga's replacement. Let's face it, we don't need Manga, Bamba, Morrison and Connolly, and we really can't afford to keep all 4.