+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

  1. #1

    Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.


  2. #2

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    70s: Defo Nigel Rees. I had to look up who his first goal was against and I came up with Bangor City in Welsh cup.
    Spedger

  3. #3

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    90: Maybe John Robinson. Clive mendonca scored the hat trick.
    Spedger

  4. #4

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    70s: Defo Nigel Rees. I had to look up who his first goal was against and I came up with Bangor City in Welsh cup.
    Spedger
    Correct on all counts Spedger.

  5. #5

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    90: Maybe John Robinson. Clive mendonca scored the hat trick.
    Spedger
    Mendonca is right, but this guy only made one appearance for us and it was when he came on in an FA Cup tie in the 90s - he was here on loan.

  6. #6

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    00s Scott McCulloch scored against Plymouth. James Harper sent off?

  7. #7

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    80s is it Lee Smelt? No idea why but I have a feeling he was on trial, not signed, then we signed him years later.

  8. #8

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    10s Nat Jarvis. Dunno who he plays for now. The team in black and white was Bath City.

  9. #9

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    60's is doing my head in

    Help me PLEASE :xmashehe:

    Was he a left sided full back, first name Trevor ?
    Last edited by BLUETIT; 06-01-17 at 17:13.

  10. #10

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    60's looks like Trevor Edwards who i think played in Australia after leaving us - Sidney ?

    90's - Eddie Youds possibly although he actually made 3 appearances for us.

  11. #11

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Forget Eddie Youds - wrong decade - wrong answer. I shall go back to sleep !

  12. #12

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    00's Simon Walton - Chopra sent off

  13. #13

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    60's is doing my head in

    Help me PLEASE :xmashehe:

    Was he a left sided full back, first name Trevor ?
    Do you mean Trevor Peck?
    Oldie, loves my footy and the horses I do

  14. #14

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    80s is it Lee Smelt? No idea why but I have a feeling he was on trial, not signed, then we signed him years later.
    Exactly right, he joined the squad in 1979 for pre season training in Denmark, was not offered a contract and then signed for us in 1984.

  15. #15

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    10s Nat Jarvis. Dunno who he plays for now. The team in black and white was Bath City.
    Right about Jarvis and Bath, sadly whenever someone mentions the name of the place where the team Jarvis is playing for come from, I think of a shooting.

  16. #16

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    Forget Eddie Youds - wrong decade - wrong answer. I shall go back to sleep !
    It is Eddie Youds, the Cup tie he played in was in January 1990 - I did miss that he came on in a couple of league games for us though.

    You got both parts of the 60s question right - well done.

  17. #17

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    00's Simon Walton - Chopra sent off
    No, see Bluebirdman Of Alcathays' answer above,

  18. #18

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    60's is doing my head in

    Help me PLEASE :xmashehe:

    Was he a left sided full back, first name Trevor ?
    Binge Thinking got it right.

  19. #19

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Right about Jarvis and Bath, sadly whenever someone mentions the name of the place where the team Jarvis is playing for come from, I think of a shooting.
    FC Dallas?

  20. #20

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Do you mean Trevor Peck?
    No

  21. #21

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Right about Jarvis and Bath, sadly whenever someone mentions the name of the place where the team Jarvis is playing for come from, I think of a shooting.
    Hungerford Town. Me too, Michael Ryan comes straight to mind as well, even 30 years on. I'm not sure why but the Dunblane massacre doesn't bring the name to mind in the same way (I had to look it up, it's Thomas Hamilton).

    I know Andy Murray doesn't talk about it much but I wonder how the incident affected him in the long run (his class was the next one due in the gym at Dunblane that day). Jamie and Judy too. For all the pride they feel in their successes, there must be a certain degree of guilt too in that they were lucky enough to be able to move on when so many lives were lost or shattered.

    Anyway, good quiz, thanks.

  22. #22

    Re: Six decades of Third Round FA Cup matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Hungerford Town. Me too, Michael Ryan comes straight to mind as well, even 30 years on. I'm not sure why but the Dunblane massacre doesn't bring the name to mind in the same way (I had to look it up, it's Thomas Hamilton).

    I know Andy Murray doesn't talk about it much but I wonder how the incident affected him in the long run (his class was the next one due in the gym at Dunblane that day). Jamie and Judy too. For all the pride they feel in their successes, there must be a certain degree of guilt too in that they were lucky enough to be able to move on when so many lives were lost or shattered.

    Anyway, good quiz, thanks.
    I'm exactly the same, I recognise the name when it's pointed out that Thomas Hamilton was responsible for the Dunblane massacre, but, whenever I hear or see the name "Michael Ryan", I think Hungerford straight away - sometimes, things stick in your head when you hear about them as a kid, but I was thirty one when Ryan killed all of those people so that hardly applies here.

    As for Andy Murray, I think all truly successful sportsmen and women are "driven" to some degree, but he seems particularly so - could the Dunblane shooting have anything to do with that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •