+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signings from non-league football

Signings from non-league football

The signing of Meite set me thinking about past non-league signings. It was something we did quite often and with some success in the 60's and70's. For example Peter King, Gary Bell, George Andrews, Gary Stevens, Jim Eadie and Bill Irwin all came from outside the Football League. There are two others I vaguely remember from slightly later in the Century. A tall skinny Irishman called John something who played with a lot of promise for us up front and in midfield, was stupidly given a free transfer and went on to have an excellent career as a centre half with Rangers and (Nothern?) Ireland. Also an extremely quick striker who played successfully alongside Jimmy Gilligan. A black lad whose surname began with B I think.Anybody remember those two better than I do or others I have no doubt completely forgotten?

With the exception of Ralls, I don't recall any successful non- league signings in recent years. Is that beacause it's more difficult make the jump now or because our scouting system is rubbish? I suspect it's the latter.

Re: Signings from non-league football

Cohen Griffiths from Kettering

Kevin Bartlett is the one you are thinking of

We're far better at turning good footballers into non-league players.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Kevin Bartlett is the one you are thinking of
    Thanks Gringo.

Not ours but people must forget how rapidly chris smalling rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    The signing of Meite set me thinking about past non-league signings. It was something we did quite often and with some success in the 60's and70's. For example Peter King, Gary Bell, George Andrews, Gary Stevens, Jim Eadie and Bill Irwin all came from outside the Football League. There are two others I vaguely remember from slightly later in the Century. A tall skinny Irishman called John something who played with a lot of promise for us up front and in midfield, was stupidly given a free transfer and went on to have an excellent career as a centre half with Rangers and (Nothern?) Ireland. Also an extremely quick striker who played successfully alongside Jimmy Gilligan. A black lad whose surname began with B I think.Anybody remember those two better than I do or others I have no doubt completely forgotten?

With the exception of Ralls, I don't recall any successful non- league signings in recent years. Is that beacause it's more difficult make the jump now or because our scouting system is rubbish? I suspect it's the latter.
    John McLelland was an awful centre forward - I can't agree with you about him showing a lot of promise I'm afraid. I can remember him scoring against Bristol Rovers in a relegation four pointer as it would have been in those days, but he didn't look ready for league football and I was not surprised at all when we released him.

I don't blame the club really about McLelland because he went from a long string of nothing to a really solid citizen during the years he spent at Bangor City I think it was - he looked a natural centreback then and did well in the old First Division with Watford as well as his spell with Rangers, but I'm sure we would have tried him as a centre half if he'd filled out a year or two before he did.

What an interesting debate!

Personally I think the days of uncovering a previously undiscovered "diamond" are sadly gone.
    Why? Partly scouting, partly that anyone decent gets snapped up but mainly I think clubs want instant success and don't have the patience to take a punt on a player and develop him. Bizarrely of course, City seem to snap up experienced players who turn out to be shite, so personally I'd rather do that with a player who didn't cost a fortune.

Another thing about "modern football" that moves it further away from the common man.

It was interesting reading that thread yesterday about the old photos, with players having the FA cup in one hand and a beer and a fag in the other. Different times!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    John McLelland was an awful centre forward - I can't agree with you about him showing a lot of promise I'm afraid. I can remember him scoring against Bristol Rovers in a relegation four pointer as it would have been in those days, but he didn't look ready for league football and I was not surprised at all when we released him.

I don't blame the club really about McLelland because he went from a long string of nothing to a really solid citizen during the years he spent at Bangor City I think it was - he looked a natural centreback then and did well in the old First Division with Watford as well as his spell with Rangers, but I'm sure we would have tried him as a centre half if he'd filled out a year or two before he did.
    All about opinions Bob! I thought he showed potential and was disappointed when we let him go. He certainly scored against Rovers. Did he get two that day? Anyway I'm glad I didn't completely imagine him.

Things have reversed now. Instead of big clubs finding gems in non league, non league finds gems at big clubs.

Most young talent will go to academies nowadays. As they get released, clubs lower down get the chance to sign them. Quite sad but that's the way it goes.

Even Vardy, the obvious example, was at Wednesday as a kid - he might even have been there when they were Premier league.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    What an interesting debate!

Personally I think the days of uncovering a previously undiscovered "diamond" are sadly gone.
    Why? Partly scouting, partly that anyone decent gets snapped up but mainly I think clubs want instant success and don't have the patience to take a punt on a player and develop him. Bizarrely of course, City seem to snap up experienced players who turn out to be shite, so personally I'd rather do that with a player who didn't cost a fortune.

Another thing about "modern football" that moves it further away from the common man.

It was interesting reading that thread yesterday about the old photos, with players having the FA cup in one hand and a beer and a fag in the other. Different times!
    You may be right but there still seem to be players out there. Vardy, Andre Grey and Scot Hogan have all come from non-league in recent years. One thing they all have in common is pace. Meite is said to be quick. Let's hope he is the next one to make the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    You may be right but there still seem to be players out there. Vardy, Andre Grey and Scot Hogan have all come from non-league in recent years. One thing they all have in common is pace. Meite is said to be quick. Let's hope he is the next one to make the grade.
    I hope so, but the guys you mention seem to be the exception that proves the rule these days. Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I remember that game too, he came off the bench and scored to put us 2-1 up if I recall correctly. Frankie Prince equalised fir Bristol Rovers and that was that, we were going down. I think half the squad was released that summer. McClelland cost £5000 from Portadown and went on a free after just one start and 3 sub appearences. After his spell at Bangor he played for Leeds too and won loads of caps for Northern Ireland. He'd filled out a bit by then and was a good centre half but with us he was a young, very lean centre forward.

Ray Bishop also came from non league too. He cost £1000 from Cheltenham and did a good job.

Mark Delaney was a decent buy.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Ray Bishop also came from non league too. He cost £1000 from Cheltenham and did a good job.
    He did. I liked Ray. I think Tony Vilars also came from non-league and did very well for a short period.

Mark Delaney, yes indeed, Villa paid £319k for him

Wasn't Dai Thomas plucked from non-league somewhere?
    Chris Pike was another who, I think, played for Park Lawn in the Combination league

Paul Parry came to us from Hereford when they were in the Conference and didn't John Lewis come from one of the Welsh League sides?

Ddddddddddarren Addddddams

Doesn't involve City, but this is a nice story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38519179

Charlie Oatway wasn't a bad signing from non league.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I remember that game too, he came off the bench and scored to put us 2-1 up if I recall correctly. Frankie Prince equalised fir Bristol Rovers and that was that, we were going down. I think half the squad was released that summer. McClelland cost £5000 from Portadown and went on a free after just one start and 3 sub appearences. After his spell at Bangor he played for Leeds too and won loads of caps for Northern Ireland. He'd filled out a bit by then and was a good centre half but with us he was a young, very lean centre forward.
    I'd seen the name mentioned a few times when he was playing for Bangor and assumed it was the player who had been with us, but then when he came back into league football (I think with Mansfield, but I may be wrong), he looked twice as powerful as the John McClelland who had played for us so I thought it must be someone else with the same name for a while.

Where did Derek Showers sign from,and why haven't we got a room at the stadium named after him , or do we ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where did Derek Showers sign from,and why haven't we got a room at the stadium named after him , or do we ?
    Showers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We're far better at turning good footballers into non-league players.
    Pmsl. Very true.