Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
John McLelland was an awful centre forward - I can't agree with you about him showing a lot of promise I'm afraid. I can remember him scoring against Bristol Rovers in a relegation four pointer as it would have been in those days, but he didn't look ready for league football and I was not surprised at all when we released him.

I don't blame the club really about McLelland because he went from a long string of nothing to a really solid citizen during the years he spent at Bangor City I think it was - he looked a natural centreback then and did well in the old First Division with Watford as well as his spell with Rangers, but I'm sure we would have tried him as a centre half if he'd filled out a year or two before he did.
I remember that game too, he came off the bench and scored to put us 2-1 up if I recall correctly. Frankie Prince equalised fir Bristol Rovers and that was that, we were going down. I think half the squad was released that summer. McClelland cost £5000 from Portadown and went on a free after just one start and 3 sub appearences. After his spell at Bangor he played for Leeds too and won loads of caps for Northern Ireland. He'd filled out a bit by then and was a good centre half but with us he was a young, very lean centre forward.