+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Cardiff Changing ?

Is Cardiff Changing ?

According to everything I read on WalesOnline Cardiff is being pretty much transformed into an ultra-modern metropolis.

I've lived abroad for the last 7 years and haven't really spent a lot of time there during that time.

According to WO this is what it'll be like in 10 years.....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busines...ke-10-12311665

The bay/docks is going to be transformed. The land between Cardiff Central and the bay is going to be completely redeveloped. Grangetown is now middle-class. University. Metro System. New bridge where vulcan used to be.

Are all these things Definitely going to happen ? WO seems to sensationalise things a bit and run stories making out that the future is set in stone when they are just reporting on proposals and artists impressions.

Also, do you like how the city has changed or how it is expected to change according to the plans put forward?

Personally, I think it looks a bit cheap and will probably age badly and look like shite when companies close down and vacate the spaces. It's what I imagine the US to be like (or Plymouth). Cheapy builds for cheapy business that relies on novelty factor. Customers get bored, shops close down, demolish, rebuild more cheapy things. It's a sure way to keep the money flowing but also makes for an ugly souless city.
    Last edited by Divine Wright; 06-01-17 at 22:20.

Re: Is Cardiff Changing ?

I'd be surprised if Cardiff build even a fraction of that, basket case of a club with a megalomaniac at the helm imo

Let's see how this develops

When WO say "this is"...
    they should have said "Is this"..?
    And I believe the answer to be "NO!"

There is no doubt that the City of Cardiff is changing, indeed has changed over t he last 20-25 years or so, but in 10 years it will look nothing like their "artist's impression".
    It never does.
    I remember the metro (or St Mellons station, at least ) being touted in the early 90s, hasn't happened yet, - and it will take a lot more than 10 years to even get planning permission for all the developments they are raving about, let alone build to completion.

Look at the trains in central station

So, so far, what is actually going ahead is the BBC building and the bus station. Correcto ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    So, so far, what is actually going ahead is the BBC building and the bus station. Correcto ?
    At least three others definitely going ahead

BBC Building is going up, the building next to it is currently being demolished along with the multi story for the new bus station. Next will be the demolition of the big building on Wood street to make way for more new office blocks. Dumballs Road is busy with new developments. Capital quarter is going up with more to be added, including a large tower block. Also a new large tower block on Charles Street has just started.
    Quite a few due to start this year, large tower on Customhouse Street, the Capitol Centre due to be completely redeveloped with yet another large tower block.
    There is plenty more in the pipeline including stuff down the Bay. It's going to be an interesting few years for the City centre.

Richyrich

Last edited by Richyrich; 07-01-17 at 03:55.

Hallinans on Newport Road is going to be a 33 storey student living hi rise . The whole City is being taken over by bloody student living , apparently this will free up Cathays etc for old houses to be given to families .

From what I can see of existing developments, they seem to have Capital Quarter off Herbert St/Tyndall St about right.

Absolutely no cause for concern. Cardiff planners are a all qualified architects who have a Masters in Design and are totally committed to producing a uniform and beautiful city.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Absolutely no cause for concern. Cardiff planners are a all qualified architects who have a Masters in Design and are totally committed to producing a uniform and beautiful city.
    Yeah right!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    Look at the trains in central station
    Sam Vokes will not be playing for Wales in 10 years time.

International

How many "Quarters" can a place have FFS?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    How many "Quarters" can a place have FFS?
    I know this!

Four.

Demolishing the Bute town estate and linking the bay with the city centre will be a winner, is that still the master plan?? It would make an amazing central area for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Demolishing the Bute town estate and linking the bay with the city centre will be a winner, is that still the master plan?? It would make an amazing central area for the city.
    Ze final solution, ja?

Cardiff has changed a wee bit since I left it in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I know this!

Four.
    They're creating a golf course as well !?

I think they missed a zero off their "10 years" timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post

The people of butetown ain't going anywhere, they can build around us and hem us in, which they've been doing for decades.

Actually they've been spending quite a lot of money on Butetown in the last few years

It's still a shit hole though

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    The people of butetown ain't going anywhere, they can build around us and hem us in, which they've been doing for decades.

Actually they've been spending quite a lot of money on Butetown in the last few years

It's still a shit hole though
    Exactly, it's a dump, the houses are terrible. Gutted they knocked the old and amazing loundon square down just to build terrible houses in replacement. Lots of folks I know have moved away now, the community there isn't what it once was is it?? Some right ropey mo foes hang there these days, I know it was bad years ago but this lot have no morals and are from war torn places.
    They will demolish the lot one day mark my words. It's in the way of the super city plan

I noticed last year that they've demolished the maisonettes around Angelina street and built some tidy looking houses.