+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Best manager we've ever had? Give me Jimmy Schoular and Eddie May, anyday. Much preferred the teams we had out under Dave Jones, than Malky's too. Good attacking sides in the main. Pity he couldn't get us over the line, and promotion to the premier league

If you were to ask my grandfather, in his lifetime, who City's best manager was he would state the manager of the FACup winning team of 1927, Fred Stewart

If you were to aks my dad who City's best manager was in his lifetime, and 81 he has seem them all, from the 46/47 season, he would say Billy McCandless. The man at the helm as we were crowned as champions of Division 3 South and who returned us to the old Second Division in 1946–47 season.

My take is that you have probably only been going down to watch the team since the Sam Hammam era, i.e from Bobby Gould onwards?
    1982 actually

Re: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    1982 actually
    So basically, most of the managers in your time of supporting City, have been in the "pretty dire and very grim" class

Also if I am being 100% honest, part of me won't accept Malky as the best manager in living memory, due to the money he had at his disposal (especially compared to very other manager in my lifetime), the fact that we played in red and had a horse dung of a badge, when promoted. However, I do believe Malky had the nous to keep us in the premier division. If Tan had any nous as a football club owner, he should have waited until the final whistle of our last game of the season, V Chelsea, then sacked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    So basically, most of the managers in your time of supporting City, have been in the "pretty dire and very grim" class

Also if I am being 100% honest, part of me won't accept Malky as the best manager in living memory, due to the money he had at his disposal (especially compared to very other manager in my lifetime), the fact that we played in red and had a horse dung of a badge, when promoted. However, I do believe Malky had the nous to keep us in the premier division. If Tan had any nous as a football club owner, he should have waited until the final whistle of our last game of the season, V Chelsea, then sacked him.

Yep it all went downhill from the Bennet / Hemmerman era that I first watched but as mentioned I've been through the Ashurst and Burrows years and I also thought Jones worked miracles in the transfer market and played some great football at times too.

My one negative against Malky was he never stood up against the red despite the fact he knew how wrong it was but I'm judging on what I know and witnessed not mere rumours.

On results alone it's impossible to deny he was up there with the best. Not the greatest team to watch admittedly but we were a team and effective. Like you, I have little doubt that without the fall out with the owner, Malky's side would have "dug out" enough points to survive that first season.

His era was probably the first time that I felt we had real direction as a club on the pitch and he was incredibly popular right to the end too as was witnessed with the support he was getting in the days running up to his sacking. Of course, now, people "never liked the guy from the start"

The moment something is proved against Malky my mind will change but for now with the facts in front of me, he's been very harshly treated