Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
So basically, most of the managers in your time of supporting City, have been in the "pretty dire and very grim" class

Also if I am being 100% honest, part of me won't accept Malky as the best manager in living memory, due to the money he had at his disposal (especially compared to very other manager in my lifetime), the fact that we played in red and had a horse dung of a badge, when promoted. However, I do believe Malky had the nous to keep us in the premier division. If Tan had any nous as a football club owner, he should have waited until the final whistle of our last game of the season, V Chelsea, then sacked him.

Yep it all went downhill from the Bennet / Hemmerman era that I first watched but as mentioned I've been through the Ashurst and Burrows years and I also thought Jones worked miracles in the transfer market and played some great football at times too.

My one negative against Malky was he never stood up against the red despite the fact he knew how wrong it was but I'm judging on what I know and witnessed not mere rumours.

On results alone it's impossible to deny he was up there with the best. Not the greatest team to watch admittedly but we were a team and effective. Like you, I have little doubt that without the fall out with the owner, Malky's side would have "dug out" enough points to survive that first season.

His era was probably the first time that I felt we had real direction as a club on the pitch and he was incredibly popular right to the end too as was witnessed with the support he was getting in the days running up to his sacking. Of course, now, people "never liked the guy from the start"

The moment something is proved against Malky my mind will change but for now with the facts in front of me, he's been very harshly treated