Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
Didn't he admit to sending three of the offensive texts when he made his public apology?
Yes he did, but he's right that we were linked with all five of the players he mentioned, with bids put in for at least two of them and. according to Wikipedia, Watford signed Deeney for a maximum of £500,000 - what a bargain that turned out to be.

Going back to those texts and e-mails, the writer of the article is wrong when they say

"An unsavoury scandal over allegedly racist and homophobic text messages sent by Mackay to his player recruitment chief, Iain Moody, left Tan with no option but it is clear that there was bad blood before the text message scandal put an end to Mackay’s time at Cardiff."

because they were only discovered after Mackay had been sacked by the club - not that it excuses Mackay at all, but there is no admission either that the huge majority of the offensive messages were sent by Moody.

My attitude towards Mackay changed after those messages came out, but in a day and age when the man running for the job of American President can make offensive tweets and speeches about people from other nations and cultures and still get elected and many, including quite a few on here, constantly rail against "political correctness gone mad", should those three messages Mackay sent out of what I believe were hundreds of thousands really mean that he should be penalised as much as he has been when it comes to his career since leaving Cardiff?

If Mackay and the others are guilty of the financial irregularities Tan claims they were alleges, then they deserve to have the book thrown at them, but, until then, my judgment of where he ranks among City managers will remain the same - he made mistakes (e.g. Cornelius), but, in football terms, he's right up there with the best City bosses I've seen.