+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

HOW A MALAYSIAN TYCOON TACKLES THE STRANGE BUSINESS OF BRITISH FOOTBALL

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/person...SocialNewsfeed

From the moment he took control of Cardiff City Football Club in 2010, it was clear that Malaysian tycoon Vincent Tan wanted to do things his way.

As the man who way back when introduced the McDonald’s Big Mac to Malaysia, and built a multibillion-dollar business empire on the back of it, he must have known a fair bit about culture clashes and how to sell an alien idea to customers hooked on a certain way of doing things.

But this was a Welsh team playing in England, a passionate and proud capital city club playing in the professional league of another nation which until relatively recently considered soccer not so much a business but a community project.

For better or worse, tradition is not so much stamped on the DNA of British soccer, it is the DNA of British soccer.

It is also an area of operation where the bulk of the people who pay at the gate definitely do not consider themselves “customers”, but fans. If a customer doesn’t like what a shop is selling or the price tag, they take their custom elsewhere. A fan doesn’t, a fan is for life.

So when Tan changed the club’s badge and colours not long after he took over, the negative response was hardly a shock. Likewise, it didn’t come as much of a surprise when he was forced to change them both back again after a sustained campaign of opposition.

Then Tan sacked Malky Mackay, the Scottish manager who had earned almost legendary status among the club’s fans by taking Cardiff into the footballing nirvana that is the English Premier League, and a cup final to boot.

An unsavoury scandal over allegedly racist and homophobic text messages sent by Mackay to his player recruitment chief, Iain Moody, left Tan with no option but it is clear that there was bad blood before the text message scandal put an end to Mackay’s time at Cardiff.

Such a turbulent entry into British soccer might have put many a man or woman off, but now Tan – with close ties to former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad – is making it quite clear that he is not a man to back down in a fight.

Tan and Cardiff City are pursuing a claim for £10 million (HK$95.7 million) damages in the High Court in London against Mackay, Moody, and three other men accused of a dishonest conspiracy centred on player transfers.

And not just any other men. Three of the most powerful soccer agents in the European game – David Manasseh, Rob Segal and John Inglis – are named in High Court documents.

The case focuses upon two transfers in particular, involving England defender Steven Caulker’s £8.5m switch to Cardiff from Tottenham Hotspur in July 2013 and Peter Odemwingie’s £2.5m move from West Brom to the Welsh capital in September that year.

Cardiff claim that all five men conspired to defraud the club over the transfers. Mackay and Moody, the club alleges, were in charge of transfers, but their action is against the five men, who all deny any wrongdoing.

Cardiff City want the damages case heard in public at the High Court, but there is a move from some of the defendants for it to be dealt with by the UK’s Football Association at an arbitration – which would involve a hearing behind closed doors.

It all comes – purely coincidentally – at an awkward time for Mackay, who has just been given the job of reinventing and reinvigorating soccer in struggling Scotland as that nation’s FA perfomance director. It is his first big job since the text scandal.

Tan is one of several foreign club owners accused by supporters of all stripes – plus a growing number of social commentators and politicians – of cultural vandalism.

A similar situation has developed at another English club, Hull City, when owner Assem Allam wanted to change the club’s name.

Then there was Hongkonger Carson Yeung Ka-sing’s controversial rule of Birmingham City, which finally had the owners admitting football was “a business different in kind” from others, because “the aspirations of supporters have to be taken into consideration”.

Yeung, a former Kowloon hairdresser, is now in prison in Hong Kong after his appeal against a conviction for money-laundering failed.

This Week in Asia made several attempts to contact and put questions to Tan, Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman, the club’s chief executive Ken Choo, and lawyers representing the club for this story, but received no response.

Re: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Cardiff City want the damages case heard in public at the High Court, but there is a move from some of the defendants for it to be dealt with by the UK’s Football Association at an arbitration – which would involve a hearing behind closed doors.

Whats to hide Malky?

Re: Vincent Tan's £10m legal battle with Malky, Moody & three agents. A view from the Asian media

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

Whats to hide Malky?
    We and they know the FA court has a zero power and execution of the law , that only a UK court of law could administer true justice either way , so yes " Whats to hide Malky?"

. Its a pity the public have no umbrella organisation to hide behind, just imagine the uproar on the message board ,if this was a politician seeking to be dealt with in a different way that avoid UK law .

The problem from Malkays point of view imo is that due to Tans ongoing smear campaign against the best manager we've ever had, certain people have swallowed in full the unsubstantiated BS they've been fed by VTs PR machine.
    All this time on and still nothing proved whatsoever. Our owner is a pathetic little man

I think it's unlikely that we ever know the full ins and outs of what happened. All we can say for certain is that it was a very nasty time for this club and I'm very glad it's Warnock talking about football in the press now rather than Lim, Malky, Tan, Dalman etc talking about almost everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    The problem from Malkays point of view imo is that due to Tans ongoing smear campaign against the best manager we've ever had, certain people have swallowed in full the unsubstantiated BS they've been fed by VTs PR machine.
    All this time on and still nothing proved whatsoever. Our owner is a pathetic little man

Well Let's have it all out in the public and then we can see who's really telling the truth. That way we will all be able to see who's telling the truth once and for all.

Blog Entries

I think you might be surprised.

Cheers *****. Is Carl doing an update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    So do I.
    This behind close doors stuff makes you wonder whats going to come out.Not taking sides but it does make you really wonder what the reason for it is.As to smear ,if I felt wronged i would push it as far as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Cheers *****. Is Carl doing an update soon
    There won't be much of an update from Cockroach no2 as he's known as by some at the club

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post

Whats to hide Malky?
    Who says it's Malky? More likely the agents trying to keep the mechanics of their business model quiet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the high court decides there's a case to hear, there's little anyone can do to prevent it unless a settlement is reached between both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    If anything was proved then my mind would change instantly but looking from the outside in, the source of it all appears to be a clueless Asian businessman not understanding that his employee could get one transfer so badly wrong and that he was the fans darling and not the owner himself.

Cornelius was clearly an error of judgement and one that VT went very public on but what manager doesn't buy a dud now and again.

Here's some of Malkys other targets during his time here:

Jamie Vardy
    Virgil van dijk
    Jay Rodriguez
    Victor wanyama
    Kurt Zouma

He also signed Troy Deeney for peanuts for Watford.

That's well over £100 million worth of talent there. Maybe Tan should have backed him more?

You may have heard rumours as have I but if there was anything more substantial to these I'm sure Malkay would have been dragged through the courts before now. As it stands he's guilty of receiving a few texts from a friend and I suspect nothing else will be found too but let's see.

There is no point pre judging this case. But the fact Tan wants the case heard in an open Court and the fact the other side doesn't suggests there is possibly something to hide. There have always been long held suspicions that transfer dealings involving agents reside in a very murky World. When the facts are revealed is the time to judge whether the case has merit, not now.

If anything was proved then my mind would change instantly but looking from the outside in, the source of it all appears to be a clueless Asian businessman not understanding that his employee could get one transfer so badly wrong and that he was the fans darling and not the owner himself.

Cornelius was clearly an error of judgement and one that VT went very public on but what manager doesn't buy a dud now and again.

Jamie Vardy
    Virgil van dijk
    Jay Rodriguez
    Victor wanyama
    Kurt Zouma

That's well over £100 million worth of talent there. Maybe Tan should have backed him more?

You may have heard rumours as have I but if there was anything more substantial to these I'm sure Malkay would have been dragged through the courts before now. As it stands he's guilty of receiving a few texts from a friend and I suspect nothing else will be found too but let's see.
    Didn't he admit to sending three of the offensive texts when he made his public apology?

Who, exactly, wants a private hearing?
    Is it Malky and or some or all of the 5?

Or, indeed, could it be the FA - the whole system might be in jeopardy.

Jamie Vardy
    Virgil van dijk
    Jay Rodriguez
    Victor wanyama
    Kurt Zouma

What a crock of shit

Jamie Vardy
    Virgil van dijk
    Jay Rodriguez
    Victor wanyama
    Kurt Zouma

Sorry ,not the "best manager we've ever had"" in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sorry ,not the "best manager we've ever had"" in my eyes
    He's way up there though, be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Didn't he admit to sending three of the offensive texts when he made his public apology?
    Yes he did, but he's right that we were linked with all five of the players he mentioned, with bids put in for at least two of them and. according to Wikipedia, Watford signed Deeney for a maximum of £500,000 - what a bargain that turned out to be.

Going back to those texts and e-mails, the writer of the article is wrong when they say

"An unsavoury scandal over allegedly racist and homophobic text messages sent by Mackay to his player recruitment chief, Iain Moody, left Tan with no option but it is clear that there was bad blood before the text message scandal put an end to Mackay’s time at Cardiff."

because they were only discovered after Mackay had been sacked by the club - not that it excuses Mackay at all, but there is no admission either that the huge majority of the offensive messages were sent by Moody.

My attitude towards Mackay changed after those messages came out, but in a day and age when the man running for the job of American President can make offensive tweets and speeches about people from other nations and cultures and still get elected and many, including quite a few on here, constantly rail against "political correctness gone mad", should those three messages Mackay sent out of what I believe were hundreds of thousands really mean that he should be penalised as much as he has been when it comes to his career since leaving Cardiff?

If Mackay and the others are guilty of the financial irregularities Tan claims they were alleges, then they deserve to have the book thrown at them, but, until then, my judgment of where he ranks among City managers will remain the same - he made mistakes (e.g. Cornelius), but, in football terms, he's right up there with the best City bosses I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes he did, but he's right that we were linked with all five of the players he mentioned, with bids put in for at least two of them and. according to Wikipedia, Watford signed Deeney for a maximum of £500,000 - what a bargain that turned out to be.

Going back to those texts and e-mails, the writer of the article is wrong when they say

"An unsavoury scandal over allegedly racist and homophobic text messages sent by Mackay to his player recruitment chief, Iain Moody, left Tan with no option but it is clear that there was bad blood before the text message scandal put an end to Mackay’s time at Cardiff."

because they were only discovered after Mackay had been sacked by the club - not that it excuses Mackay at all, but there is no admission either that the huge majority of the offensive messages were sent by Moody.

My attitude towards Mackay changed after those messages came out, but in a day and age when the man running for the job of American President can make offensive tweets and speeches about people from other nations and cultures and still get elected and many, including quite a few on here, constantly rail against "political correctness gone mad", should those three messages Mackay sent out of what I believe were hundreds of thousands really mean that he should be penalised as much as he has been when it comes to his career since leaving Cardiff?

If Mackay and the others are guilty of the financial irregularities Tan claims they were alleges, then they deserve to have the book thrown at them, but, until then, my judgment of where he ranks among City managers will remain the same - he made mistakes (e.g. Cornelius), but, in football terms, he's right up there with the best City bosses I've seen.
    To be fair. He hasn't got a lot of competition when it comes to rating out past managers has he? A play off possition, a league cup final and promotion as champions, propels him right into the top 5 straight away. If you base your opinions simply on results on the park, then he is right up there.
    Problem for me though, as a lifelong City fan, is i just didn't like the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    To be fair. He hasn't got a lot of competition when it comes to rating out past managers has he? A play off possition, a league cup final and promotion as champions, propels him right into the top 5 straight away. If you base your opinions simply on results on the park, then he is right up there.
    Problem for me though, as a lifelong City fan, is i just didn't like the guy.
    Burrows wins for me. 2 promotions on a shoestring. Ashurst 2nd for his.
    Then May, then Malky, then Lennie

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

He may have been linked Bob but the fact that they were largely unrealistic targets was part of our downfall.

He also went after Oscar Cardozo ffs!

Wanyama or Capoue were never gonna come to us, neither was Zouma.

I will give him Vardy as i believe he even came down to look around the facilities and i believe Malky decided against Van Dijk.

Another conscript to Tans PR machine that everything Malky is bad!

All of the above were very viable targets that Malky was actively pursuing according to reports.

It may seem unrealistic now because of the calibre of players they've gone on to be but they were all very realistic at the time.