+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Men against girls

Men against girls

I saw this comment yesterday on Twitter, I thought it might come back to bite him on the ass

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-star-12421944

Former Wales international Rob Page has issued an apology for saying his Northampton team's 5-0 thrashing at Bristol Rovers was like "men against girls".

Page, capped 41 times by Wales and an ex-Cardiff City defender, had locked his squad in the away dressing room for more than 45 minutes as his Cobblers side slumped to an eighth defeat in their last ten League One matches.

When he then spoke to the local media, Page said: "People are knocking on my door, saying they deserve a chance and when you do, do your talking out there.

"Actions speak louder than words. It was men against girls. That was embarrassing. My staff and players feel like we've let the football club and the supporters down."

However, Page's comments led to a welter of criticism on social media and he was forced to apologise, accepting his choice of words was "totally unacceptable."

In a statement on the club's official website, Page said: "Saturday was a very difficult afternoon for everyone.

"After the match I made a comment, when speaking to our local media, about the game being a case of 'men against girls'.

"I immediately realised that this comment was totally unacceptable. No offence was meant by it and I apologise if any was caused.

"This was an error of judgement I made in the heat of the moment shortly after a very difficult defeat, but that is no excuse, I accept that."

Re: Men against girls

Storm in a D cup

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Storm in a D cup

they should man up

And that's at the CCS today. Men against girls is too kind a statement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

they should man up
    Sexist jokes aren't funny. Period.

Seriously, totally unacceptable? people offended by that need to go back to playschool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

Seriously, totally unacceptable? people offended by that need to go back to playschool.
    Dicriminating against children?? Are children lesser people in your eyes??

I find this thoroughly disgraceful and I will be writing a stern letter of complaint to someone about it.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    bloody wimin

It's just a variation on men v boys. Which is probably what he meant to say. It's not like he said men v women. You would expect a team of grown men to beat a team of girls wouldn't you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Dicriminating against children?? Are children lesser people in your eyes??

I find this thoroughly disgraceful and I will be writing a stern letter of complaint to someone about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    bloody wimin

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's just a variation on men v boys. Which is probably what he meant to say. It's not like he said men v women. You would expect a team of grown men to beat a team of girls wouldn't you?
    Depends if you are talking about our team?

Men against peanuts today

And an insult to girls.

International

Anyone who assumes that men against girls or women are expected to win have obviously never played rugby against women/girls, or even worse hockey!!
    Don't go there - trust me - don't even think about it!! Far too dangerous!

Robert Page was sacked today by Northampton

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    In the interests of equality, I hope we can expect his replacement to be a girl.

Preferably a brown one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Unfortunate timing, but clearly Page and Northampton have been under-performing and also Page showing some strain.
    Guess that his sacking relates entirely to that and not too much silly emphasis on pol. correctness having gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    In the interests of equality, I hope we can expect his replacement to be a girl.

Preferably a brown one.
    In a wheelchair

There was an interesting comment made regarding his sacking earlier on BBC live text which suggested there was inflated expectations at Northampton. In part this was due to their wonderful season last year and in part due to the the run they went on at the start of this season under Page but it also suggested that it was a club who expected to be much bigger than they currently are.

Regarding his comments, it was silly and he was right to apologise. Hopefully that is enough to move on.

Regarding Mrs R's comment, I thought "storm in a D cup" was quite good

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

Preferably a brown one.

In a ring

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    In a wheelchair
    who is also Jewish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    There was an interesting comment made regarding his sacking earlier on BBC live text which suggested there was inflated expectations at Northampton. In part this was due to their wonderful season last year and in part due to the the run they went on at the start of this season under Page but it also suggested that it was a club who expected to be much bigger than they currently are.

Regarding his comments, it was silly and he was right to apologise. Hopefully that is enough to move on.

Regarding Mrs R's comment, I thought "storm in a D cup" was quite good
    Thanks but Pearcey3 said that

To put this in perspective, the Australian women's football team - the Matildas - lost 7-0 to the Newcastle Jets U-15 boys team last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...s-warm-up.html

So Mr Page was entirely correct in his use of this metaphor: in footballing terms men>boys>women>girls, and when trying to describe such a heavy loss it is appropriate to say "it was men against girls".

What would have happened if he'd said "it was men against babies"? Would the baby lobby have been up in arms?