+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil wake up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Neil wake up

Warnock has basically admitted to feeling the same way as the majority of our fans, when it comes to the FA cup.
    The magic of it has gone, and will never come back.
    Greed and impatience has taken over, as it has in all walks of life. Our defeat, and the manner of it at Macclesfield a few seasons ago taught me that lesson.
    If your a "football romantic" like me, then the game is well and truly up!
    I would rather see the FA cup done away with,than see a champions league place up for grabs. We have all been carried away on a wave of false euphoria.
    Did I go yesterday? No. Why? Because I knew more or less what team NW would pick, and what the outcome would be.

I remember a time, when the FA Cup would be shown live on BBC AND ITV, with coverage on both channels usually beginning at about 10.30am in the morning. Cameras outside the teams' hotels and in-depth analysis of each player in the respective squads. I even used to ask myself which I would prefer ... the City getting promoted to the top-flight or winning the FA Cup?

How times have changed, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I remember a time, when the FA Cup would be shown live on BBC AND ITV, with coverage on both channels usually beginning at about 10.30am in the morning. Cameras outside the teams' hotels and in-depth analysis of each player in the respective squads. I even used to ask myself which I would prefer ... the City getting promoted to the top-flight or winning the FA Cup?

How times have changed, eh!
    I used to think the same thing. Long time ago mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I used to think the same thing. Long time ago mind.
    Is the FA cup final a big deal in the U S A

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Is the FA cup final a big deal in the U S A
    Not really. The respective fans of the two teams playing might be interested but I don't think the casual fan would be.

But look what they get anyway. Empty stadiums or reserve teams. Not really that interesting to the armchair fan. Although, the main game or the 3pm GMT game at least was Sutton v AFC Wimbledon. Not sure how that went down. It was a pretty low quality affair but I enjoyed it. Then again, I'm a man in his 50s that used to follow a team all over the UK to watch 4th Division games.

Is the FA Cup a big deal to younger fans?

How about giving 1 bonus league point for a win in the FA cup if you win the game? Like a bonus points system that's added for progression to the next round?
    That would make teams take it more serious

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    How about giving 1 bonus league point for a win in the FA cup if you win the game? Like a bonus points system that's added for progression to the next round?
    That would make teams take it more serious
    Probably because you could have a situation where Man Utd get to the final of the cup and win the league, despite having a worse record than Chelsea who got knocked out in round three?

Something does need to be done but ultimately football has become all about money.

The only solution is to offer greater financial reward - either through a champions league place or bigger prize money.