+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48 team World Cup?

48 team World Cup?

FIFA vote on it tomorrow. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38547638

Good idea or not? It seems that most of the extra spots would go to Africa and Asia, with only about 3 likely to go to European teams.
    I like the idea of more teams being involved, but not so much the 16 groups of 3 teams. I'd prefer 12 groups of four. It'd be crap to qualify only to potentially play just two games before going home.

Re: 48 team World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    FIFA vote on it tomorrow. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38547638

Good idea or not? It seems that most of the extra spots would go to Africa and Asia, with only about 3 likely to go to European teams.
    I like the idea of more teams being involved, but not so much the 16 groups of 3 teams. I'd prefer 12 groups of four. It'd be crap to qualify only to potentially play just two games before going home.
    Was great they upped the number of teams in the Euros, proved pretty successful and sure it helped us.

Not sure it would bother me that much playing 2 games in the group stages, except maybe there being more chance of fans getting to see at least one game would be increased with 12x4 with the right ticket allocation system?

I think they will vote in favour of making more money

I reckon should just do 64 world cup and make the qualifying campaign more relaxed. Also reckon 32 for euros and do the same

Saw this on twitter

Huw Davies ‏@thehuwdavies 9m
    9 minutes ago

Using FIFA rankings, here's how World Cup 2026 groups could look. Seeds listed first; top 2 go through. Hell of a draw for Wales and England

C1zdVmIWEAAXiCQ.jpg

Probably get edged out on GD by Curacao

Curacao (who?) and China. Would take that.

Do any of those 50-odd games look interesting? Even Argentina v Italy doesn't matter as they both go through. Perhaps Ireland v Mexico, and groups D and N would be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Curacao (who?) and China. Would take that.

Do any of those 50-odd games look interesting? Even Argentina v Italy doesn't matter as they both go through. Perhaps Ireland v Mexico, and groups D and N would be competitive.
    I think Curaçao used to be the Dutch Antilles.

Bacuna (Villa) plays for them

Curacao?? I thought that was a mixer.

For once we can sing "who the f•ckinell are you"? and mean it.

Increasing the number of teams in the Euros made for more boring football and, if it hadn't have been for the fact that we were in it, France 2016 would have been one of the worst Finals tournaments I'd ever seen - the good news is that we are likely to see Wales play in a World Cup Finals tournament, but I'm struggling to see what else is positive about it in terms of the quality of football you'll see in major Finals tournaments from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Increasing the number of teams in the Euros made for more boring football and, if it hadn't have been for the fact that we were in it, France 2016 would have been one of the worst Finals tournaments I'd ever seen - the good news is that we are likely to see Wales play in a World Cup Finals tournament, but I'm struggling to see what else is positive about it in terms of the quality of football you'll see in major Finals tournaments from now on.
    I have more of a problem with the structure than the number of teams. Groups of three with two going through is about the worst option.

The positive is exposure. I've got kids in infants and primary schools and the interest in football has bloomed, we have kids wanting to be Gareth Bale, the next generation of children wanting to play football. The expansion of a major tournament has given Wales a chance to produce the next wave of players, and as such improve the quality.

In mind that is more important than the quality of some of the games in the short term, i tend to find that most major tournament have poor games in them, it is just that over time the mind remembers the better games.

Scotland are pushing for 164 teams to qualify.

Hoping to get in as 4th best losers in their group.

That would light the tournament up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Scotland are pushing for 164 teams to qualify.

Hoping to get in as 4th best losers in their group.

That would light the tournament up.

Basket case of a cup.

The world cup is terrible in the early stages as it is. It will only increase the odds of some dire games by adding more.

Though in saying that we could see some good battles between the increased shit teams. Whilst the top teams thrash everyone.

Isn't there a chance of some contrived results with 2 going through from groups of 3?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn't there a chance of some contrived results with 2 going through from groups of 3?
    Yeah big chance, as they can't kick off at the same timr

USA to be permanent WC hosts?

Not many countries would be able to stage a 48-team tournament.

Imagine it going to the likes of Qatar again!?

With most extra places going to Africa and Asia, the WC will be severely devalued.
    Euros will be the major comp.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    USA to be permanent WC hosts?

Not many countries would be able to stage a 48-team tournament.

Imagine it going to the likes of Qatar again!?
    Perhaps joint hosts are more feasible in a 48 team tournament

Its only an extra 3 places for European teams, don't count your chickens.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    With most extra places going to Africa and Asia, the WC will be severely devalued.
    Euros will be the major comp.
    If you ever wanted confirmation that international football is beyond rescue then this is it.
    The only reason this format is being pushed through has nothing to do with improving the game but all about ensuring that the current FIFA hierarchy have enough votes to remain on the gravy train.
    I sure that it will be marketed and sold impressively and that's the problem an elite sporting event has been turned into a business enterprise.

The Panini World Cup 2016 Official Sticker Book.

panini.jpg