+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A corbyn government would impose a limit to what you can earn

A corbyn government would impose a limit to what you can earn

This myth that the rich do not pay their "fair share" will always win some votes, but this sort of punishment of financial success will never win in the modern world, I don't think.

We are allowed to earn what ever father jeremy tells us we can....

When you think he is building momentum he throws a spanner in the works and you realise why electing him would be a huge risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

This is what Jeremy Corbyn said about a law putting a cap on earnings. John Humphrys asked if he would like to limit how much fat cats can earn. Corbyn replied.

I would like there to be some kind of high earnings cap, quite honestly.

When asked at what level the cap should be set, he replied:

I can’t put a figure on it and I don’t want to at the moment ...

The point I’m trying to make is that we have the worst levels of income disparity of most of the OECD countries in this country. It is getting worse. And corporate taxation is a part of it. If we want to live in a more egalitarian society, and fund our public services, we cannot go on creating worse levels of inequality.

Then Humphrys asked him if he was really talking about a law to limit income. At first Corbyn appeared to row back a little bit.

I think let’s look at it ... I’ve got a view on it ... I’m not wedded to a figure on it.

But, when pressed again, Corbyn, was unequivocal.

I would like to see a maximum earnings limit, quite honestly, because I think that would be a fairer thing to do. Because we cannot set ourselves up as being a grossly unequal, bargain basement economy on the shores of Europe. We have to be something that is more egalitarian, gives real opportunities to everybody and properly funds our public services. Look at the crisis in the NHS as an example.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-01-17 at 08:52.

Re: A corbyn government would impose a limit to what you can earn

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    This myth that the rich do not pay their "fair share" will always win some votes, but this sort of punishment of financial success will never win in the modern world, I don't think.

We are allowed to earn what ever father jeremy tells us we can....

When you think he is building momentum he throws a spanner in the works and you realise why electing him would be a huge risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

This is what Jeremy Corbyn said about a law putting a cap on earnings. John Humphrys asked if he would like to limit how much fat cats can earn. Corbyn replied.

I would like there to be some kind of high earnings cap, quite honestly.

When asked at what level the cap should be set, he replied:

I can’t put a figure on it and I don’t want to at the moment ...

The point I’m trying to make is that we have the worst levels of income disparity of most of the OECD countries in this country. It is getting worse. And corporate taxation is a part of it. If we want to live in a more egalitarian society, and fund our public services, we cannot go on creating worse levels of inequality.

Then Humphrys asked him if he was really talking about a law to limit income. At first Corbyn appeared to row back a little bit.

I think let’s look at it ... I’ve got a view on it ... I’m not wedded to a figure on it.

But, when pressed again, Corbyn, was unequivocal.

I would like to see a maximum earnings limit, quite honestly, because I think that would be a fairer thing to do. Because we cannot set ourselves up as being a grossly unequal, bargain basement economy on the shores of Europe. We have to be something that is more egalitarian, gives real opportunities to everybody and properly funds our public services. Look at the crisis in the NHS as an example.
    I'm always saying that people should not try to pass off their own opinions as facts, but it's very tempting to say that what you call a myth is actually a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm always saying that people should not try to pass off their own opinions as facts, but it's very tempting to say that what you call a myth is actually a fact.
    Where do I claim it is fact.

Name me a rich person then tell me how much tax they pay.

Bear in mind normal people class anyone earning over 50k as rich.

I'm a normal person and I don't class anyone earning over 50k as rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'm a normal person and I don't class anyone earning over 50k as rich.
    That may have been an exaggeration.

When business owners get ripped into and they employ. Paying far more tax than their employees will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The whole EU plan seems to be based on the foundation of cheap labour and companies / the super rich have made great capital out of it - whilst the stereotypical working class man - has seen their wages kept down (the minimum wage was the worst of all ideas - a glass ceiling that means every employer uses that as an excuse to keep all wages down.
    The EU is run by the IMF according to Yanis Varoufakis, who attended meetings of the all powerful yet informal Eurogroup.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Anyone else remember the Labour Govt back in the 1970's, the top rate of income tax rose to 83 per cent and reached 98 per cent when an investment income surcharge was included. Corbyn should have said that you can earn as much as you want - and Labour will tax as much as they want.

Corbyn is an idealist - full of grandiose Utopian plans - which never actually work. Im no fan of the likes of Phillip Green either.

The whole EU plan seems to be based on the foundation of cheap labour and companies / the super rich have made great capital out of it - whilst the stereotypical working class man - has seen their wages kept down (the minimum wage was the worst of all ideas - a glass ceiling that means every employer uses that as an excuse to keep all wages down.

Just my 2p worth - but Corbyn is on a hiding to nothing - someone who has rebelled all his political life now expets loyalty
    You're wrong about the EU, they do plenty to maintain living standards and ways of life for ordinary citizens.
    The political classes in this country are FAR more likely to sell us out to the highest bidder.

Look at things like the common agricultural policy, that was designed to allow traditional farming methods and small scale farms to survive.
    The UK is the home of the industrialised mega farms with UN skilled dirt cheap labour and cheap tasteless produce.
    In France you get nice locally produced produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You're wrong about the EU, they do plenty to maintain living standards and ways of life for ordinary citizens.
    The political classes in this country are FAR more likely to sell us out to the highest bidder.

Look at things like the common agricultural policy, that was designed to allow traditional farming methods and small scale farms to survive.
    The UK is the home of the industrialised mega farms with UN skilled dirt cheap labour and cheap tasteless produce.
    In France you get nice locally produced produce.
    The common agricultural policy is by far the biggest liability to the EU budget and it is widely criticised.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...ions-subsidies

Only EU officials and land owners like it:

A freedom of information request by the NS to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs found that claimants last year included the Duke of Westminster (net worth: £7.4bn), who was paid £748,716 for his ownership of Grosvenor Farms, the Duke of Buccleuch (£180m), who received £260,273, the Duke of Devonshire (£700m), who received £251,729, and the Duke of Atholl, who was paid £231,188 for his 145,000 acre Blair Castle Estate.

Farcical.

People have this idea that the EU is totally left wing. It is anything but.

The EU aids eastern European countries. Corruption reduction etc. It is overstated how much the EU helps us with everyday life.

The EU are all for TTIP, are they not?. So this idea that they protect small suppliers and producers is not the case and it never has been.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-01-17 at 12:28.

The common agricultural policy is by far the biggest liability to the EU budget and it is widely criticised.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...ions-subsidies

Only EU officials and land owners like it:

A freedom of information request by the NS to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs found that claimants last year included the Duke of Westminster (net worth: £7.4bn), who was paid £748,716 for his ownership of Grosvenor Farms, the Duke of Buccleuch (£180m), who received £260,273, the Duke of Devonshire (£700m), who received £251,729, and the Duke of Atholl, who was paid £231,188 for his 145,000 acre Blair Castle Estate.

Farcical.

People have this idea that the EU is totally left wing. It is anything but.

The EU aids eastern European countries. Corruption reduction etc. It is overstated how much the EU helps us with everyday life.

The EU are all for TTIP, are they not?. So this idea that they protect small suppliers and producers is not the case and it never has been.
    There is the reality and the illusion, that's how it works. Say one thing and do another.

I said that, in my.opinion, it's a fact that the rich do not pay their "fair share", not a myth.

I said that, in my.opinion, it's a fact that the rich do not pay their "fair share", not a myth.
    What is that "opinion" based on?.

The "fact" that they pay more than you or me?.

When would you be happy with the amount they pay?.

Just age old hatred of the financially successful.

Instead of asking why they are financially successful - they employ people like you or me. Or they work in jobs that pay well..

It goes beyond just what they pay in tax. Employment of others is much more of a contribution to society than you or I will ever make.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-01-17 at 13:12.

What is that "opinion" based on?.

The "fact" that they pay more than you or me?.

When would you be happy with the amount they pay?.

Just age old hatred of the financially successful.

Instead of asking why they are financially successful - they employ people like you or me. Or they work in jobs that pay well..

It goes beyond just what they pay in tax. Employment of others is much more of a contribution to society than you or I will ever make.
    Blimey.

Can you teach me how to bow properly?

Blimey.

You don't think he's one of the one per cent do you?

Blimey.

The generalisations annoy me.

Some will never be happy as long as there are winners in society.

People hate far more than the 1%.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-01-17 at 13:58.

You don't think he's one of the one per cent do you?
    I am not rich at all but I am unsure how you can claim all rich people don't contribute what they should, with no examples. You don't know what people pay.

Try paying a years corporation tax

You haven't answered my questions.

I don't think people begrudge the genuine winners, perhaps they have a dislike for those who take advantage of a rigged system?

I am not rich at all but I am unsure how you can claim all rich people don't contribute what they should, with no examples. You don't know what people pay.

I'm not going to either, why should I?

Why so touchy and defensive about someone saying that they don't think the rich pay their "fair share" (a view I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in holding) if you are "not rich at all"? That's all I've said in this thread, the rich don't pay their fair share, I've not said I hate them and as I live in a completely different world to them (like Eric Cartman, I don't class people who have £50k as being rich) and always will do, it's a bit pointless me envying them, so I don't get why you're so worked up about things.

Let's make it clear as well that I'm not supporting Corbyn in his wish for a maximum wage - it's unworkable and one of the reasons for that is that those rich people you are such a fan of would employ even more people to discover loopholes in the legislation which would enable them to ignore it.

Feedback is right, Corbyn has spent his political life going his own sweet way no matter what the policy of his party - now it appears, he's causing yet more embarrassment for Labour by making up policy on the hoof, thereby proving yet again that he is incapable of leading a modern political party with, fast disappearing, hopes of being in Government in the future.

Blog Entries

Constant stories of the rich and large corporations not paying their fair share is just another dialectic, they are selling you the idea of a global system where they can make it all fair again, yipee

Why so touchy and defensive about someone saying that they don't think the rich pay their "fair share" (a view I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in holding) if you are "not rich at all"? That's all I've said in this thread, the rich don't pay their fair share, I've not said I hate them and as I live in a completely different world to them (like Eric Cartman, I don't class people who have £50k as being rich) and always will do, it's a bit pointless me envying them, so I don't get why you're so worked up about things.

Let's make it clear as well that I'm not supporting Corbyn in his wish for a maximum wage - it's unworkable and one of the reasons for that is that those rich people you are such a fan of would employ even more people to discover loopholes in the legislation which would enable them to ignore it.

Feedback is right, Corbyn has spent his political life going his own sweet way no matter what the policy of his party - now it appears, he's causing yet more embarrassment for Labour by making up policy on the hoof, thereby and proving yet again that he is incapable of leading a modern political party with, fast disappearing, hopes of being in Government in the future.

Feedback is right, Corbyn has spent his political life going his own sweet way no matter what the policy of his party - now it appears, he's causing yet more embarrassment for Labour by making up policy on the hoof, thereby and proving yet again that he is incapable of leading a modern political party with, fast disappearing, hopes of being in Government in the future.
    I'm not being touchy. If my comments suggest I really care then I haven't explained well, as I don't.

Define a "rich person" for me, then we'll see who pays what in tax.

It is just so vague, the argument that rich people and business owners don't pay their fair share. They are heavily taxed.

Well off people generalise about poor welfare claimants. The workers claim employers are greedy scumbags. etc, etc. Yet ask any of them to go into the details of their claims then they'll do a runner. As they have no information other than stereotypes.

Most rich people and business owners contribute huge sums to our economy. I'm not sure where you draw a line with punishing financial success.

Maximum wage is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. All that would happen is that payments would be made under the table and even less tax would be received.

You are the one making most of the generalisations and assumptions. Income inequality is racing and all methods to fix it so far have failed. The average renumeration of a ftse100 CEO rises near 10% a year, why? Is that good for society or the economy? Corbyns idea won't fix it but from my point of view this isn't about hating rich people, it is about what is good for the country and 100 people taking all the wealth (sewn up tightly in Panama) is not it.

We went though a period of talking A LOT about Europeans taking money out of the economy...That same scrutiny doesn't appear to be applied to the wealthiest.

You are the one making most of the generalisations and assumptions. Income inequality is racing and all methods to fix it so far have failed. The average renumeration of a ftse100 CEO rises near 10% a year, why? Is that good for society or the economy? Corbyns idea won't fix it but from my point of view this isn't about hating rich people, it is about what is good for the country and 100 people taking all the wealth (sewn up tightly in Panama) is not it.

We went though a period of talking A LOT about Europeans taking money out of the economy...That same scrutiny doesn't appear to be applied to the wealthiest.
    Not really, peoples contribution to society is case by case.

You are talking about CEO's as if I defend them. When have I said I wish the 1% were taxed less?.

I am defending small/medium size businesses and other people who are deemed "rich", when really they are not.

How can you comment when you have 0 idea how much these people pay in tax?.

The 1% is 1%, an extreme minority. Peoples complaints about who pays what goes far beyond the 1%.

"Oh you drive a range rover, afraid you don't contribute enough to society...."

Not really, peoples contribution to society is case by case.

You are talking about CEO's as if I defend them. When have I said I wish the 1% were taxed less?.

I am defending small/medium size businesses and other people who are deemed "rich", when really they are not.

How can you comment when you have 0 idea how much these people pay in tax?.

The 1% is 1%, an extreme minority. Peoples complaints about who pays what goes far beyond the 1%.

"Oh you drive a range rover, afraid you don't contribute enough to society...."
    You do this in every thread - I didn't say any of the things you are linking me to.

Strange I do this "in every thread", as I am simply responding to a question you asked. What do I do anyway?.

And I haven't linked you to anything at all have I? You assumed I am totally against taxing the rich, as you brought up the 1%, CEO's etc. Then I explained my position, that is all.

https://www.ft.com/content/394b82da-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 10-01-17 at 20:39.