+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe Trump and, if you do, why do you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you believe Trump and, if you do, why do you?

I see Donald Trump has denied claims that Russian intelligence agencies have obtained personally compromising material related to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38579126

In doing so, he is only doing what any politician would do when such claims are unsubstantiated - the way the world is these days, you would expect someone to say much the same sort of thing at such an early stage of the story even if the allegations were true.

It's for this reason that I tend to take the denials of any politician in a situation like this with a pinch of salt - that's not fair, but it's what decades of watching political careers being slowly ruined by denied allegations that simply wouldn't go away has done to me.

So, this is not just me having a go at Trump again, my attitude would be much the same, no matter who the politician was that the allegations were aimed at.

However, there is something different about Trump, people seem to be more forgiving of the numerous examples there are of him being economical with the truth than they are with other politicians.

Maybe, it's the word "politician" which explains this - in my opinion, Trump has benefited an awful lot from the fact that, even now, there are plenty out there who don't think of him as a politician.

Is this why, attitudes are different towards him? Is this why when he says things that aren't true or promises things that do not happen, his supporters say "well, it was only banter, you didn't really expect him to do that did you?" and so many accept this in a way that they would never do with most other politicians?

My thinking on this is that this is a man who is going to be running the country that was, and arguably still is, the most powerful in the world in nine days time, of course he's a politician and so I treat stories like the one I've linked to with the same cynicism as I would if they had been about any other politician.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 11-01-17 at 05:46.

Re: Do you believe Trump and, if you do, why do you?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Donald Trump has denied claims that Russian intelligence agencies have obtained personally compromising material related to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38579126

In doing so, he is only doing what any politician would do when such claims are unsubstantiated - the way the world is these days, you would expect someone to say much the same sort of thing at such an early stage of the story even if the allegations were true.

It's for this reason that I tend to take the denials of any politician in a situation like this with a pinch of salt - that's not fair, but it's what decades of watching political careers being slowly ruined by denied allegations that simply wouldn't go away has done to me.

So, this is not just me having a go at Trump again, my attitude would be much the same, no matter who the politician was that the allegations were aimed at.

However, there is something different about Trump, people seem to be more forgiving of the numerous examples there are of him being economical with the truth than they are with other politicians.

Maybe, it's the word "politician" which explains this - in my opinion, Trump has benefited an awful lot from the fact that, even now, there are plenty out there who don't think of him as a politician.

Is this why, attitudes are different towards him? Is this why when he says things that aren't true or promises things that do not happen, his supporters say "well, it was only banter, you didn't really expect him to do that did you?" and so many accept this in a way that they would never do with most other politicians?

My thinking on this is that this is a man who is going to be running the country that was, and arguably still is, the most powerful in the world in nine days time, of course he's a politician and so I treat stories like the one I've linked to with the same cynicism as I would if they had been about any other politician.

The guy's a bullshitting idiot.

The fact that that he's about to become president tells you all you need to know about the level of people involved in politics.

He won't last long in the hot seat. Once his supporters realise that he's backtracked on all his policies, he'll be dodging bullets from all sides.

#watersportsgate trending on twitter

He's p1$$ed on his chips ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    He's p1$$ed on his chips ..
    Why didn't he save some money and just take a dump on the bed

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Why didn't he save some money and just take a dump on the bed
    Weeeeeellll, imagine 'he' 'did' and then triumphantly gave it a name which would cause terrible, terrible offence if the footage ever got out. Or something.
    Slowly, slowly, see how everyone gets on with this stuff first eh..

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    #watersportsgate trending on twitter
    Is Trump dumb enough to fall for a bog standard Brownstone operation? I would imagine everybody in public life knows that your hotel is going to be bugged, so the last thing you would want to do is phone up a bunch of random hookers and ask them to engage in some watersports ... just because you hated Obama and his wife! The latest strategy is to use a high profile 3rd party to form a close and trusting friendship with the target, and only then try to compromise them in a depraved situation.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 11-01-17 at 09:36.

Is Trump dumb enough to fall for a bog standard Brownstone operation? I would imagine everybody in public life knows that your hotel is going to be bugged, so the last thing you would want to do is phone up a bunch of random hookers and ask them to engage in some watersports ... just because you hated Obama and his wife! The latest strategy is to use a high profile 3rd party to form a close and trusting friendship with the target, and only then try to compromise them in a depraved situation.
    But to put it in context, this 'stuff' is gathering momentum and the person/figurehead implicated is the President Elect of the US.
    As David Vine used to say on AQoS - 'what happens next' ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    But to put it in context, this 'stuff' is gathering momentum and the person/figurehead implicated is the President Elect of the US.
    As David Vine used to say on AQoS - 'what happens next' ?!

When did these rumours start? I ask only because I heard a similar allegation in an American comedy broadcast I heard that was recorded last Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    When did these rumours start? I ask only because I heard a similar allegation in an American comedy broadcast I heard that was recorded last Wednesday.

It's highlighted within Wales-Bales' links posted earlier in the thread.

Started seeping out very early yesterday morning.
    Allegedly/supposedly the US security had been warned about the existence of such material since last October.
    The summary on Trump's misdemeanours which also details the incident carries you refer to carries a date of June 2016, though of course that may very well be more complete bollocks.

Pun intended?

I believe this was reported in the buzzfeed piece that you provided the link to earlier? I'm not sure what your motivation for doing so was.

Do I believe it? Probably not, but nothing much would surprise me about what goes on behind the closed doors of the rich and powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Pun intended?

I believe this was reported in the buzzfeed piece that you provided the link to earlier? I'm not sure what your motivation for doing so was.

Do I believe it? Probably not, but nothing much would surprise me about what goes on behind the closed doors of the rich and powerful.
    No motivation, I just provided the same links that Trump and his attorney were Tweeting, to expand on the original BBC article.

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/818962809841061888

The tweet further down said he failed in his business attempts, so had to settle for prostitutes?

A couple of weeks ago I said:

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Is it his mate, or has Putin just got an extraordinary amount of shit about Trump waiting to be released if he puts a foot wrong? Seems odd that Trump criticises just about every country except the Russians, who he goes out of his way to defend.

so this doesn't surprise me. Things fall into place very quickly with this theory.

A couple of weeks ago I said:

so this doesn't surprise me. Things fall into place very quickly with this theory.
    I've got a feeling this is all a windup, otherwise that ex-spy fella is giving British spies a bad name!

Wow, this stuff is serious, I thought it was some kind of joke

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/10/po...sia/index.html

Just posted

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
    Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me. Are we living in Nazi Germany?

Trump with the non-denial denial:

Russia just said the unverified report paid for by political opponents is "A COMPLETE AND TOTAL FABRICATION, UTTER NONSENSE." Very unfair!

Trump with the non-denial denial:

Russia just said the unverified report paid for by political opponents is "A COMPLETE AND TOTAL FABRICATION, UTTER NONSENSE." Very unfair!
    The BBC's narrative in Bob's original link seems to be softening too. They've even got proper photos of Trump and Putin now instead of those ridiculous clowny face masks. Are they backtracking?

Live press conference starting at 4pm. It should be fun, maybe Trump will be handing out some P45's

Trump again on his phone today. Says he has no deals, no loans, no nothing with Russia. And yet..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7a0_story.html

Trump again on his phone today. Says he has no deals, no loans, no nothing with Russia. And yet..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7a0_story.html
    Well now, what'll it be?! - either the man representing 'President Elect' is a shit liar, or some media establishments are going to be whooped by The Donald. If 'he' ever gets to wield any power.