+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City v Fulham. Harris [K] v Sessegnon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cardiff City v Fulham. Harris [K] v Sessegnon

I didn't get to the game but like those who stayed away, had a more than adequate view from the comfort of the sofa. To see Fulham players from front to back pass the ball effortlessly between themselves, and then watch as City -to a man- seem incapable of making just one pass of note, highlighted just how our squad has deteriorated and degraded the last 3 seasons.

But for me, the comparison of our own 'rising star' Kadeem Harris, and Fulham's 16yr old Sessegnon, summed up the differences. Harris has been here FOUR years, played 33 games for us, and yet even his greatest admirers will admit he isn't really up to Championship standard. Sessegnon is lightening quick, has excellent close control, and is only 16 yet looks a great prospect.

My point is not so much that we should have a Sessegnon in our side - player like him are rare - but that at any time in our recent history - certainly since 2002 - Kadeem Harris would have been moved on a long time ago. That his entrance onto the pitch as a substitute is met with relative excitement just shows how starved us fans have been of real footballing talent.

Re: Cardiff City v Fulham. Harris [K] v Sessegnon

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I didn't get to the game but like those who stayed away, had a more than adequate view from the comfort of the sofa. To see Fulham players from front to back pass the ball effortlessly between themselves, and then watch as City -to a man- seem incapable of making just one pass of note, highlighted just how our squad has deteriorated and degraded the last 3 seasons.

But for me, the comparison of our own 'rising star' Kadeem Harris, and Fulham's 16yr old Sessegnon, summed up the differences. Harris has been here FOUR years, played 33 games for us, and yet even his greatest admirers will admit he isn't really up to Championship standard. Sessegnon is lightening quick, has excellent close control, and is only 16 yet looks a great prospect.

My point is not so much that we should have a Sessegnon in our side - player like him are rare - but that at any time in our recent history - certainly since 2002 - Kadeem Harris would have been moved on a long time ago. That his entrance onto the pitch as a substitute is met with relative excitement just shows how starved us fans have been of real footballing talent.
    Excellent post, I heartily agree with everything you day here. He wouldn't, for instance, have even been considered good enough for the team that play QPR in the play-off at the Mill Stad back in 2003.

Agree, this is a good point.
    Huffed and puffed did KH credit to him there but got nowhere but Sessegnon gave our defence, particularly Bennett a torrid time.

Two scouts near me, one looking at him and the other at their number 10 who is also a good player, bit lazy tracking back though.

I quipped about them being vultures circling to find the next Ramsey, you can guess the reply I got!

It wasn't so long ago that a lot of posters on here were giving Kadeem Harris very positive reviews and definitely saw him as a player that belongs in the Championship. He may not have impressed against Fulham (who did apart from Sol Bamba) but since the latter part of Slade's tenure he has often been the go-to sub with pace and desire who made things happen when the side were plodding towards a draw or defeat.

Harris may not be a future Cardiff regular, or even a Cardiff player for much longer, but he shouldn't be the victim of short memories and airbrushed history.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that a lot of posters on here were giving Kadeem Harris very positive reviews and definitely saw him as a player that belongs in the Championship. He may not have impressed against Fulham (who did apart from Sol Bamba) but since the latter part of Slade's tenure he has often been the go-to sub with pace and desire who made things happen when the side were plodding towards a draw or defeat.

Harris may not be a future Cardiff regular, or even a Cardiff player for much longer, but he shouldn't be the victim of short memories and airbrushed history.
    Agree with that, he was poor, just like all but one of the outfield players, against Fulham, but I thought Kadeem had his best game in a City shirt against Villa. He may not be a Sessignon, but when it comes to taking on a full back on the outside or inside I think he's as good, if not better than, any of our other wingers - like nearly all players of his type, he's not consistent enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agree with that, he was poor, just like all but one of the outfield players, against Fulham, but I thought Kadeem had his best game in a City shirt against Villa. He may not be a Sessignon, but when it comes to taking on a full back on the outside or inside I think he's as good, if not better than, any of our other wingers - like nearly all players of his type, he's not consistent enough though.
    He's more consistent than Noone, for sure. Pity, because when Noone is firing on all cylinders he takes some stopping. I always feel with him that if he finds it tough going early on, then that's it for the rest of the game..

He's more consistent than Noone, for sure. Pity, because when Noone is firing on all cylinders he takes some stopping. I always feel with him that if he finds it tough going early on, then that's it for the rest of the game..
    ^^This. he seems like a school boy lost at times. His best games for us have been when he has come on for final third or quarter of game, when his pace gives tiring defenders some trouble, however final pass and decision making in final third of pitch let him down more often than not.
    Spedger
    Spedger