+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terribly sad news. Mark Watkins RIP

Re: Terribly sad news. Mark Watkins RIP

Dear God, just got in after a two week holiday and saw this post, me and the wife saw Mark & Irene in Sainsburys the day before we went.......absolutely stunned, shared many an away trip with them both and featured in many of both our photos in France. Unbelievable, my heart goes out Irene and his family.

Gutted to hear this news.

I got to know Mark a few years ago through our involvement with KCB. He was a lovely, warm human being.

Heartfelt thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP

Blog Entries

Very sad news, RIP Mark x

Awful news.

Completely stunned by this news when I saw it on FB a couple of hours ago.

Always seemed to cross paths at various things and the first thing you'd notice was he was always smiling.

A true gentleman and committed City and Wales fan.

Very sad news indeed. RIP Mark.

I've only known him through his posting on here but I do remember him for that. Thoughts are with his family.

RIP

RIP Mark.

R.I.P Mark.
    Thoughts and condolences go to his family and close friends.
    I was totally in shock when I saw this !!
    Such sad news .

Didn't know Mark personally but had seen and heard him at City games and through phone in's and this messageboard.
    Sincere condolences to his wife and family.

Dreadful news , sits 2 rows in front of me at CCS.
    He and his wife Irene always seemed to be happy and smiling
    a lovely couple.
    A great pair of City and Wales fans and a reminder to Carpe diem or
    " seize the day " as you never know what life has in store for you

RIP Mark.

I can't remember the last time I posted on here, but I want to add my condolances; I only knew Mark to say hi to on away coaches in the early-mid 90s and always found him to be a great help, aswell as very friendly. RIP and my thoughts go out to his family, he was a fantastic servant to the supporters club.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    So very sorry to write this but I know most of you will know him, but Mark Watkins (Dr Pop) sadly passed away yesterday. I've just read a post from Irene on Facebook. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. A top, top bloke and an absolute Gentleman.

Sincere condolences to Irene & family.

Attachment 1206
    So sad to hear of this. I first met Mark twenty years ago, through DJing circles, not through our shared loved of CCFC, surprisingly

I last saw him on NYE at Penarth Soul Club, dancing the night away

He always turned up when the All Nighters played the Globe. Was surprised not to see him there on Saturday night.

Now I know why.

R.I.P. Mark, sincere condolences and my thoughts go out to his wife and family

A fitting celebration for Mark on Saturday. From Vince Alm on Facebook

Mark Watkins Celebration;
    The following events have been agreed in conjunction with Cardiff City Football Club to celebrate the life of Mark Watkins who suddenly died on Saturday 14th January 2017.
    1. There will be a book of condolences set up in the supporters shop next to gate 3 for those who wish to write messages and contribute in remembrance of Mark. The book will be open for a few of the up and coming home games

2. There will be a eulogy in the matchday programme and photograph

3. On the 27th minute there will be a minute’s applause with a picture of Mark on the screens

4. Half time the eulogy will be read out with a picture on the screen.

Also GTFM will be dedicating an hours tribute to Mark this Friday 20th speaking to many of his friends please listen and contribute by phoning in.
    I would like to thank Cardiff City Football club for their help and everyone who is contributing to putting this celebration of Marks life.

South Wales echo are also planning a tribute in their paper.

So many memories of Mark growing up - going home and away during the 80s with him and a couple of other mates - just remember having a good laugh either on Ader glas buses, the train or when he or Paul "taffy" Thomas drove. Just good mates generally going to concerts, pub etc. hanging out in pontcanna or llandaff fields

So many memories but one that makes me smile still was when he knocked me up early morning once on my birthday and treated me to an away game on a Tuesday up north Tranmere is in my mind but he would know - he drove we lost and it was such a good laugh!!!!!

Went to Ibiza with Mark on both our first foreign holiday - he never could get a tan ironically!!!!

Lost contact a bit when I moved away and got married but caught up in the last couple of years again on away trips - especially remember chatting about the old days on the way back from the carling cup final with him and my boy lapping it up

Mark will never get the chance to write the book on the ashurst promotion season - I know he had the scrapbooks still and his comments on each game but at he least he got his book on ninian as his legacy

Just a top top bloke who loved the city loved music and loved life

Mark will be sorely missed and my prayers are with Irene and I am so glad that the club are doing their bit to remember a proper bluebird

RIP mate

RIP Mark

R.I.P BLOOOOBIRD

I knew Mark at Radyr Comp, we were both in the 1976 intake, when City fans were pretty thin on the ground. We became friends due to a shared love of Cardiff City, though there was never any doubt that he was by far the most dedicated supporter among us all. More than anything he was just a friendly, warmhearted lad, I remember him having us in stitches with his description of the Man City fans he'd seen on an away trip, grown men with perms trying to act hard as the City support mercilessly took the mick! We lost touch after leaving school, definitely my loss as shown by the many tributes paid to him on this board and beyond. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and those close to him. RIP Wocko

Big day for Irene and Mark's family tomorrow at CCS.

Let's give him the send off he deserves.

I didn't know Mark, but reading such heartfelt thoughts from so many, he sounds like a wonderful man. My sincere thoughts go to his family and of course his friends here and elsewhere.

I know from personal experience the City 'family' pull together so much at difficult times like this and I'm sure the send off tomorrow will be very special and well deserved.

RIP Mark

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/lo...-city-12486006

Tributes are planned during Cardiff City’s match against Burton Albion to remember lifelong Bluebirds fan and supporters’ club official Mark Watkins, who has died.

Mark, 51, was a lifelong fan who started following the club in 1973 and was a familiar face around Ninian Park and at the Cardiff City Stadium.

He died suddenly at his home in Caerau last Saturday.

A book of condolences will be opened to fans at the Cardiff City Supporters’ Club shop, and there will be a eulogy to him in the matchday programme.

And fans at the game will take part in a minute’s applause on the 27th minute, with a picture of Mark – who served on the supporters’ club committee from 1987 to 2012 – on the big screens at the Cardiff City Stadium.

In recent years he presented the Cardiff City phone in on GTFM and was DJ at the supporter’s club children’s Christmas party

A keen photographer, he also published a book of his photographs of Ninian Park – Our Ninian Park: Ninian Park in Its Final Year – when the famous old ground closed and the club moved across Sloper Road to the Cardiff City Stadium.

Paying tribute, Vince Alm, of Cardiff City Supporters’ Club, described Mark as “a great bloke”.

He said: “He always had time for you and was one of those people who, even if he was busy or in a bad mood, would never show it. He would always give you the time of day, he would always make you feel special. That’s an attribute that’s very rare.

“He worked so hard for the supporters’ club and was a very talented man. He had a good sense of humour and his knowledge of everything from Cardiff City’s history to pop was incredible. He was articulate in everything he did.

“He put a lot of time and effort into everything, and for Cardiff City football fans he did do a lot of unsung work in that respect.

“He was a well-known and well-loved bloke.”

Paul Corkrey, from the Football Supporters’ Federation Cymru, said: “He was the sort of bloke you would see at every game.

“He worked so hard for the supporters, quietly in the background. He was very helpful, and a doer – but not one to make a fuss over things.

“He will be missed by everybody – he was such a popular chap.”

Mark grew up in Gilestone Road, Pontcanna and lived with his wife Irene in Camrose Road, Caerau. They met through work in 1991 eventually married in June 2006.

His lifelong passion for the Bluebirds began in December 1973, at the age of eight when Mark attended his first match at Ninian Park with his father Tony and saw City hammer FA Cup holders Sunderland 4-1.

He became a Canton Stand regular during the 1975/76 Third Division promotion campaign and remained a fanatical Bluebirds follower for the rest of his life.

Mark served on the Cardiff City Supporters Club committee for 25 seasons and took on a variety of roles during that time, such as membership secretary, treasurer and newsletter editor.

He also often worked behind the counter in the club’s shop, volunteered for stewarding duties on coaches to away games.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Big day for Irene and Mark's family tomorrow at CCS.

Let's give him the send off he deserves.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    So many memories of Mark growing up - going home and away during the 80s with him and a couple of other mates - just remember having a good laugh either on Ader glas buses, the train or when he or Paul "taffy" Thomas drove. Just good mates generally going to concerts, pub etc. hanging out in pontcanna or llandaff fields

So many memories but one that makes me smile still was when he knocked me up early morning once on my birthday and treated me to an away game on a Tuesday up north Tranmere is in my mind but he would know - he drove we lost and it was such a good laug

Went to Ibiza with Mark on both our first foreign holiday - he never could get a tan ironically!!!!

Lost contact a bit when I moved away and got married but caught up in the last couple of years again on away trips - especially remember chatting about the old days on the way back from the carling cup final with him and my boy lapping it up

Mark will never get the chance to write the book on the ashurst promotion season - I know he had the scrapbooks still and his comments on each game but at he least he got his book on ninian as his legacy

Just a top top bloke who loved the city loved music and loved life

Mark will be sorely missed and my prayers are with Irene and I am so glad that the club are doing their bit to remember a proper bluebird

RIP mate
    Hi Jon ,

He will be badly missed , we had some great times back in the day.
    Hopefully catch up at the funeral,although I know it is probably going to be difficult for you to make it.
    Cheers
    Taff