+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sherlock

Re: Sherlock

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I enjoyed it.

Totally mad, but enjoyable.

More going on in 5 minutes of Sherlock than in an hour of many other dramas.

Forget any Conan Doyle influence - there's nothing much left but the names and the substance abuse.
    Exactly why I gave up on it a long time back.

I've recorded the three episodes and was going to watch them all in one go - I'll start watching them and see what happens, but, based on the episode from last year, reviews I've read and what's being said on here, I can't see me lasting long. Just like the early Moffatt episodes on Doctor Who, Sherlock was a marvelous watch when it started, but there should be a verb to Moffatt, because I'm afraid, with me at least, he ends up making you not care about brilliant characters that had been created by someone else.

The thing is that as far as I'm concerned, if you do a programme about Sherlock Holmes and the Conan Doyle books become incidental in it, then what is the point? It just seems so self indulgent to me.

Now wait for me to come on here in a week's time raving about all three episodes .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It was awful. Huge, lavish production[s] with ludicrous story lines, last night's being the most ridiculous yet. As each series progressed, it came away from an interesting detective-based thriller, to self indulgent clap trap..
    Call me an old fashioned git, but the idea of Sherlock in the modern day played by Cumberbatch, is almost unwatchable.
    Give me Jeremy Brett and the period Sherlock anytime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Call me an old fashioned git, but the idea of Sherlock in the modern day played by Cumberbatch, is almost unwatchable.
    Give me Jeremy Brett and the period Sherlock anytime.
    As many will agree. The first 2 series were great. If you haven't seen them then I totally recommended them

And can I add that Moriarty is the least scary villain I've ever seen on the big or small screen. I enjoyed the earlier series a lot - except for the episode where they were back in Victorian times (Dr Who again?). Hopefully with this series being poorly received and the last episode being almost universally panned, they'll either get their act together or put it out of its misery.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I enjoyed it.

Totally mad, but enjoyable.

More going on in 5 minutes of Sherlock than in an hour of many other dramas.

Forget any Conan Doyle influence - there's nothing much left but the names and the substance abuse.
    I enjoyed it as well.
    Mad, confusing but utterly watchable. Nothing else like it.
    Moffat has said that Holmes and Watson are now at the end of chapter one of their story and are now in a place to become the characters that we knew previously.
    All depends on the two leads if it will continue, hope so but considering they are both now recurring characters in Marvel movies chances are low.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

My recommendation - get some Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes DVD's
    I second this.
    Rathbone and Nigel Bruce have never been bettered

I watched all of three of them over the past three days and my attitude to them was very mixed.

Enjoyed the first one more than I expected, the second one (which was, very loosely, based on one of my favourite Holmes stories) literally sent me to sleep and the final one, while being a bit silly, appealed to me in the way Jon talked about - interesting, but, as he said, you have to forget the Conan-Doyle influence.

What happened to his pipe, and when did he evolve into a super hero, smack head.

They were fanstastic and the only logical way to tie off the series. Once Holmes was established as one of the worlds gretest minds the series always had to be ramped up to the ending that occurred.

There was no point him solving the hum drum within minutes (by this series) as it wold have become tiresome pretty quickly. The stakes had risen so much that the way it ended was pretty much the only way it could whilst challenging Holmes.