Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Banned

Sherlock

This series was utter poo.

Re: Sherlock

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    It was awful. Huge, lavish production[s] with ludicrous story lines, last night's being the most ridiculous yet. As each series progressed, it came away from an interesting detective-based thriller, to self indulgent clap trap..

Couldn't understand what was going on last night,was she his sister or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Couldn't understand what was going on last night,was she his sister or what?
    Yep, he also had a best friend, but not a dog. Seems he'd forgotten/imagined all three...

That show disappeared up its own arse quite a while ago. Watched the first episode of this series and realised I wasn't interested in watching the rest.

Apparently it's too much to ask for a show about a clever detective and his faithful partner solving crimes, which is what it started out as, instead we get some oblique shitshow that jumps around like a 90's Tarantino movie while trying to simultaneously be gritty, flashy, broad and weirdly politically correct in that way BBC drama tends to be.

Better to give the Ridley Scott/Tom Hardy vehicle "Taboo" a watch, the first two episodes have been a good watch although, what with it being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent female Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with karate.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    .. being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent person of indeterminate gender, Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with a leg caliper.
    BBC'd yp

I like to be liberal minded, but when the offerings continually become too contrived, it starts to get a bit insulting IMO
    Last edited by Vimana.; 16-01-17 at 09:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    BBC'd yp

I like to be liberal minded, but when the offerings continually become too contrived, it starts to get a bit insulting IMO
    Yes, how insensitive of me.

Yes, how insensitive of me.
    I meant the BBC's contrived offerings btw - not vous ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I meant the BBC's contrived offerings btw - not vous ;)
    Yeah I know, don't get all BBC on me now...

It was very silly. I quite like some of the gimmicks but it has turned into Bond v's Crystal Maze with some Adam West Batman thrown in. Lost the plot and certainly lost me.

That show disappeared up its own arse quite a while ago. Watched the first episode of this series and realised I wasn't interested in watching the rest.

Apparently it's too much to ask for a show about a clever detective and his faithful partner solving crimes, which is what it started out as, instead we get some oblique shitshow that jumps around like a 90's Tarantino movie while trying to simultaneously be gritty, flashy, broad and weirdly politically correct in that way BBC drama tends to be.

Better to give the Ridley Scott/Tom Hardy vehicle "Taboo" a watch, the first two episodes have been a good watch although, what with it being a BBC show, episode 3 will probably see the introduction of a new character, a sassy and super-intelligent female Asian twenty-something that can inexplicably beat up 10 men at once with karate.
    I couldn't agree more. Moffat has ruined Doctor Who and with this series pretty well done for Sherlock too. How many writers can claim to have killed two superheroes ?

I also agree with you about Taboo too.

It owed a lot more to Dr Who than it did to Conan Doyle.

I hadn't watched the previous series of Sherlock but decided to watch this three parter. It was disjointed and incomprehensible and I had no interest in any of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I hadn't watched the previous series of Sherlock but decided to watch this three parter. It was disjointed and incomprehensible and I had no interest in any of the characters.
    and you still watched all 3 parts?

Blog Entries

Don't get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Not everyone says "This looks shit" during the opening credits like you.

Think this series could be summed up in one of my friend's stating that Moffatt is obsessed with everyone being related, I'm a little surprised Moriaty wasn't a second cousin in the end, and my mum asking where the high functioning sociopath had gone.

The ongoing drama coming from Mary's past seemed to dominate the last 3 years (a downside of them being so spread apart) and I'm a little disappointed that she had the final monologue. Was it part of Martin Freeman's contract that she had to stick around? I did manage to enjoy the second and third episodes, though not as much as previous series.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    I' m a patient man Mr SR . Engaging in posts with your goodself is also disjointed and incomprehensible but I am still prepared to do so "for the good of the country"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I' m a patient man Mr SR . Engaging in posts with your goodself is also disjointed and incomprehensible but I am still prepared to do so "for the good of the country"
    Quick edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Quick edit.
    Well deduced Mrs Holmes.😁

Got it on catch up. It's about to get deleted due to the comments which I kind of thought it might be. I watched Silent Witness on catch up the other day, the one with the Syrian girls, it came across as very BBC biased in some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yep, he also had a best friend, but not a dog. Seems he'd forgotten/imagined all three...
    Sister was more a repressed memory. I'm not sure what the term would be for altering his memory of his friend but he wasn't forgotten and the dog wasn't imagined.

If you haven't watched any of it yet and wondering if you should I would highly recommend the first two series.

Confused the crap out of me tbh.

My recommendation - get some Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes DVD's

I enjoyed it.

Totally mad, but enjoyable.

More going on in 5 minutes of Sherlock than in an hour of many other dramas.

Forget any Conan Doyle influence - there's nothing much left but the names and the substance abuse.