+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Prawn Sandwich Brigades

Prawn Sandwich Brigades

Went to see Barca at home against Las Palmas on Saturday. Amazing stadium but what a disappointment regarding the atmosphere. Singing seems to have been subcontracted to a small band of fans behind one goal whilst the rest of the crowd was deathly quiet. Barca goals were met with polite applause and the very small group of away fans are hermetically sealed in a section so far away from the pitch and way up in the gods that they can hardly see anything through the plexi-glass and netting.
    Apart from the football on show, including that of Las Palmas (and which Man U v Liverpool like a schoolboy game) the experience was quite a disappointment.

Re: Prawn Sandwich Brigades

Is Spain similar (but not as bad) as Scotland - a league of make-up-the-numbers apart from one big game?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Is Spain similar (but not as bad) as Scotland - a league of make-up-the-numbers apart from one big game?
    Its worse in scotland. The jags dont even give celtic a game anymore

Even when they play big teams it doesn't get much better.

As per Scotland ref, no way is the league as bad as that. Seville have won the UEFA cup in the previous 3 years and they've had 5 different league winners since 2000, 1 fewer than the Premier League. If you go back to the start of the Premier League Spain has had 7 different winners, the Premiership 6.

Attending a match at the Nou or San Siro has always been hanging about on the peripheries of my bucket list, but TBG's description doesn't sound anything other than a 'unsurprisingly disappointing' experience (poor grammar and contradiction intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Attending a match at the Nou or San Siro has always been hanging about on the peripheries of my bucket list, but TBG's description doesn't sound anything other than a 'unsurprisingly disappointing' experience (poor grammar and contradiction intended).
    I've been to both. My Nou Camp experience was much like TBG's, a quiet Barca match, but San Siro was incredible. But this was Inter v AC, with a last minute winner, I couldn't have hoped for more. I think it's more about the match you pick as much as the stadium.

Given that the OP is a stickler for correct grammar I'm disappointed that he makes reference to "Prawn Sandwich" rather than "Bocadillo de Gambas"

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Given that the OP is a stickler for correct grammar I'm disappointed that he makes reference to "Prawn Sandwich" rather than "Bocadillo de Gambas"
    He'd probably correct your translation of sandwich to emparedado first. A bocadillo is a Spanish style baguette.

Thats nought. I have read and re read this, even tried google translate.
    Makes no sense to me at all.

"Apart from the football on show, including that of Las Palmas (and which Man U v Liverpool like a schoolboy game)"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Thats nought. I have read and re read this, even tried google translate.
    Makes no sense to me at all.

"Apart from the football on show, including that of Las Palmas (and which Man U v Liverpool like a schoolboy game)"
    Lo siento. I omitted the word 'made'. By the way of forgiveness I shall say a few a Hail Mary's in the Sagrada Familia this afternoon

Glad I went to Ashton Gate , which is quite a lot closer to Taunton than Barca.

Probably Germany & Netherlands is better for match atmospheres.

Shame to hear, although i am not surprised, La Liga atmospheres sound non existent on TV

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    He'd probably correct your translation of sandwich to emparedado first. A bocadillo is a Spanish style baguette.
    I don't think you'd find any Spanish person using that word, our version of a sandwich would be called "sandwich".

I don't think you'd find any Spanish person using that word, our version of a sandwich would be called "sandwich".
    You know how to google too then. (Though I did know that bocadillo wasn't a sarnie!)

You know how to google too then. (Though I did know that bocadillo wasn't a sarnie!)
    I do, but I used to live in Spain and was a fluent Spanish speaker - I say "was" because that was about 30 years ago, but I can still get by

I do, but I used to live in Spain and was a fluent Spanish speaker - I say "was" because that was about 30 years ago, but I can still get by
    I'd better shut up then.... :coat:

If you are in Barcelona, the correct word would be Entrepà. Just saying like!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    If you are in Barcelona, the correct word would be Entrepà. Just saying like!
    Ah well, if you're going for Catalan, I'm buggered, only spent a couple of months in Barcelona, most of the time I was in San Sebastián and madrid

Ah well, if you're going for Catalan, I'm buggered, only spent a couple of months in Barcelona, most of the time I was in San Sebastián and madrid
    What's Basque for sandwich?

Ogitarteko , apparently.

edit: I'd better find out for sure as myself and the Missus plan to walk the Camino de Santiago next year. Might get hungry somewhere along the way .. (haven't gone all religious - just want to do it)
    Last edited by Vimana.; 16-01-17 at 15:37.

How much are the prossies in the dark quarter next to the Ramblas these days TBG ?

Now that, I would have to google - the most bizarre language I've ever heard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    How much are the prossies in the dark quarter next to the Ramblas these days TBG ?
    How much were they when you went?