+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting poll on hard vs soft Brexit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Interesting poll on hard vs soft Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Why would you want it to fail?
    Because I believe that as we stand we're fecked. We depend on Europe for trade - we've screwed that up. We depend on Europe for funding - we've fecked that up too, exchange rates are going to increase the costs of our imports, exacerbated by the inevitable tariffs on European imports, and a summer holiday anywhere other than Barry island this year is going to cost an arm and a leg.

We are therefore left at the mercy of Boris Johnson managing to do a deal with Donald Trump to have any chance of a favourable trade deal with a major trading bloc.

Either that, or the whole European Union falls apart and we go back to where we were before the EU.

Looking on the bright side, most major international banks will end up leaving the U.K. so may be the last we'll see of jursett

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Because I believe that as we stand we're fecked. We depend on Europe for trade - we've screwed that up. We depend on Europe for funding - we've fecked that up too, exchange rates are going to increase the costs of our imports, exacerbated by the inevitable tariffs on European imports, and a summer holiday anywhere other than Barry island this year is going to cost an arm and a leg.

We are therefore left at the mercy of Boris Johnson managing to do a deal with Donald Trump to have any chance of a favourable trade deal with a major trading bloc.

Either that, or the whole European Union falls apart and we go back to where we were before the EU.

Looking on the bright side, most major international banks will end up leaving the U.K. so may be the last we'll see of jursett
    I think we would be in a much worse position if the EU disintegrates. They are and will continue to be our largest market. Turmoil in Europe will not help us.

I think we would be in a much worse position if the EU disintegrates. They are and will continue to be our largest market. Turmoil in Europe will not help us.
    Who said there will be turmoil? Maybe the opposite will occur
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 17-01-17 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Anyone with any sense.

If course, the EU failing would be good news for some.
    Vladimir Putin, the arms industry, large multinational companies so I suppose you're right, it isn't all bad news

Anyone with any sense.

If course, the EU failing would be good news for some.
    Vladimir Putin, the arms industry, large multinational companies so I suppose you're right, it isn't all bad news
    I'm sorry, but I don't follow your logic. The vast majority of countries in the world are not part of the EU, and even if the EU ended tomorrow, do you really think that it's constituent countries would stop trading with each other?

Brexit is about not wanting to be part of a political union. World trade will continue regardless of whether the EU exists or not.

European history suggests that things aren't stable when everyone fends for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    European history suggests that things aren't stable when everyone fends for themselves.
    World history also suggests that we used to go rampaging around the globe, raping and pilliging at every opportunity, but I think we can all agree that we have moved on since those days
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 17-01-17 at 13:32.

World history also suggests that we used to go rampaging around the globe, raping and pilliging at every opportunity, but I think we can all agree that we have moved on since those days
    Are you suggesting we have moved on from international disputes and war?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Are you suggesting we have moved on from international disputes and war?
    Not exactly, but it's a bit more subtle these days