+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Spar Store - Llantrisant Road, Rhydlafer

New Spar Store - Llantrisant Road, Rhydlafer

Looks to have closed already just two months after opening ??

Re: New Spar Store - Llantrisant Road, Rhydlafer

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!What a disaster!!!

Where is Rhydlafer?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!What a disaster!!!

Where is Rhydlafer?
    I was interested if someone knew of a business justification for this, I think I'm safe to assume you can't ?

Sold out of bread & milk when the "THUNDERSNOW" was forecast, so they shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I was interested if someone knew of a business justification for this, I think I'm safe to assume you can't ?
    They are franchise aren't they? A couple of years ago my local newsagent was done out and fitted with all the Spar signage. It was a big improvement. Better stock, well lit, open longer hours and the staff seemed to have gone on some kind of customer care course. But just a few months later all the branding came down and it pretty much reverted back to how it was, poorly stocked and complete with surly staff.
    I always assumed there had been some kind of disagreement between them, presumably not happy about having to be civil to their punters.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    They are franchise aren't they? A couple of years ago my local newsagent was done out and fitted with all the Spar signage. It was a big improvement. Better stock, well lit, open longer hours and the staff seemed to have gone on some kind of customer care course. But just a few months later all the branding came down and it pretty much reverted back to how it was, poorly stocked and complete with surly staff.
    I always assumed there had been some kind of disagreement between them, presumably not happy about having to be civil to their punters.
    Cool story bro.

The company that owned it, plus numerous other spars out west, went into liquidation. He also owned the petrol station a bit further down.

Staff have all lost their jobs but have been told a new owner is being sought. Could take months though

In reply to Barry's post:

That's my thinking too. I've been saying for years it was the idea place for such a store, servicing both Rhydlafar (and probably St Fagans) and the busy stream of work traffic to and from the city.

Franchising is a gamble, but a surprise this one doesn't appear to have worked out....

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    The company that owned it, plus numerous other spars out west, went into liquidation. He also owned the petrol station a bit further down.

Staff have all lost their jobs but have been told a new owner is being sought. Could take months though
    Yeh, I'd noticed the garage had closed too, shame. Especially surprising as the fuel prices were a lot lower than the comedy prices of the previous owner.

The company that went tits up were one of the fifty fastest growing businesses in Wales in 2015 . All show , no dough . Shame , but the units will find buyers .