+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for UK holiday suggestions?

Looking for UK holiday suggestions?

Afternoon chaps,

Not had a holiday in awhile and well overdue, but thinking about staying in the UK this summer. Never been to Cornwall, but wondering if anyone can suggest anywhere around Pembrokeshire/Tenby?

Don't need too much by way of entertainment (travelling solo), as long as there's a nice beach and a decent boozer I'm set. Sure I'd find somewhere through AirBNB and cater for myself.

Just to add I don't have a car/drive, so will be relying on trains
    Last edited by Alex!; 18-01-17 at 12:18.

Re: Looking for UK holiday suggestions?

Cornwall especially around St Ives there's 5 beaches within walking distance of the town counting Carbis bay
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 18-01-17 at 12:18.

As Llanedeyrnblue says St Ives is stunning. Plenty of things to do in the town including excellent pubs.
    There's a train station there, but think there are a few train changes required to get there.
    Not sure about the transport network down that part of Cornwall.
    Around Looe and Polperro is another area I can strongly recommend, stunning pubs especially in Polperro.
    Tenby is easy to get to by train or coach.
    Tenby and most parts of Pembrokeshire have a very decent bus system taking in most of the popular locations.
    Tenby has many excellent beaches and pubs.
    I'm sure you will enjoy any of those places. All the best

Banned

Tenby.
    If you travel on a weekday you can get to anglesey airport from cardiff for 40 - 50 quid. In a hour too.

I'd agree with nugent, Anglesey is awesome. Llyn peninsula is also up there on places to see.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Tenby.
    If you travel on a weekday you can get to anglesey airport from cardiff for 40 - 50 quid. In a hour too.
    I assume these are two different ideas and you're not suggesting getting to Tenby via Anglesey?

No 1 for me would have to be St Ives , loads of pubs, great eateries lovely quaint wee town. Tenby is also lovely and plenty to do and see.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I assume these are two different ideas and you're not suggesting getting to Tenby via Anglesey?
    He likes travelling on the bus (and plane). Takes about 6 hours from Anglessey to Tenby. (via Cardiff)

I can recommend St Ives for the new year too, been there twice over Xmas and the new year. Had a brilliant time rented a 10 berth flat overlooking Portmear beach,for our family.

Everyone and I mean everyone wears costume on New Year's Eve, plenty of stuff on Google etc

Cheers for the suggestions chaps, will check out St Ives.

Not too bothered about 5/6 hour trains if I'm honest, for once I can't be bothered with flying, checking in, baggage, transport from airports etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    He likes travelling on the bus (and plane). Takes about 6 hours from Anglessey to Tenby. (via Cardiff)
    Pmsl

Cornwall is a beautiful part of the world and echo what everyone is saying about St Ives.
    Padstow is a lovely little town as well.
    Personally I enjoy Perranporth, a huge, stunning beach and a couple of nice little boozers.

I've lived on the Somerset/Devon border for decades but have only seen a tiny sliver of Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Cornwall is a beautiful part of the world and echo what everyone is saying about St Ives.
    Padstow is a lovely little town as well.
    Personally I enjoy Perranporth, a huge, stunning beach and a couple of nice little boozers.
    I like Perranporth too been there many times, stayed in the hotel right on the beach one half term in October, the waves were smashing into the carpark in front of the hotel

Whitby.

Fish and chips. Goths. Vampires. Coastal walks. Abbey. Reasonable places to eat - though harder to find a good pub. Good weekend but probably not much longer. Move north after that and have a few days in Newcastle then hit Northumbria.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Whitby.

Fish and chips. Goths. Vampires. Coastal walks. Abbey. Reasonable places to eat - though harder to find a good pub. Good weekend but probably not much longer. Move north after that and have a few days in Newcastle then hit Northumbria.

Fantastic chip shops there I agree and well worth a visit as is Northumbria as you say. Some nice beaches too,as well as castles and Holy island to have a look at. On top of that there's Hadrians wall,Vindolanda, a massive Roman fort and Beamish.

I recommend Falmouth. Lovely place. About hours on train from Cardiff if you go via Taunton and Truro.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I recommend Falmouth. Lovely place. About ? hours on train from Cardiff if you go via Taunton and Truro.
    Spedger
    How many about 5?

Barmouth

If you guys had 3 days to do a mini tour of Welsh historical landmarks (travelling in a car) what would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    If you guys had 3 days to do a mini tour of Welsh historical landmarks (travelling in a car) what would you suggest?
    http://www.beddgelerttourism.com/gelert/

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    How many about 5?
    Yes 5 mate. Typing trouble my end.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Ah weird, I'm just in the middle of reading Sioned Davies' translation of The Mabinogion and the story of Gelert the dog is in that. I was also wanting to one day go up to Beddgelert to visit nearby Dinas Emrys which is also featured in the book as the origins of Merlin and our red dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    As Llanedeyrnblue says St Ives is stunning. Plenty of things to do in the town including excellent pubs.
    There's a train station there, but think there are a few train changes required to get there.
    Not sure about the transport network down that part of Cornwall.
    Around Looe and Polperro is another area I can strongly recommend, stunning pubs especially in Polperro.
    Tenby is easy to get to by train or coach.
    Tenby and most parts of Pembrokeshire have a very decent bus system taking in most of the popular locations.
    Tenby has many excellent beaches and pubs.
    I'm sure you will enjoy any of those places. All the best
    Great advice there IMO

Pembs has a network of little shuttle busses - all are timetabled and you can get timetables online or at a tourist info centres.
    The services are increased during the season and they can get you all over the place for a reasonable cost.
    They work out great for anyone looking to plan their days for a bit of exploring or coast path walking or just mooching / beaching.

St Ives, - my word it is a lovely place but I have to say that 'in season' it was waaaay too rammed for my tastes, and I have never known such aggressive Gulls!

have fun

the popular Cornish places in the summer school holidays are just too busy for me, same as the Croyde area