+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Selling Gunnarson (hypothetical)

Blue in the Face

Selling Gunnarson (hypothetical)

Gunnar has been our best player over the last ten games or so for me and I'm sure that's a popular view. After the Euros it wouldn't have been surprising for us to have gotten a tempting cash offer for him. Perhaps the reason why we didn't is because his club form has been off for a couple of seasons. But now he's back to showing his ability and that the Euros wasn't a flash in the pan...

If we were to sell Gunnar in this window for a fair fee, it's crossed my mind that this could work out well for us. I don't think we would have to go out and spend money on a replacement as O'Keefe has shown he's good at this level if given a run of games. And Huws has never been given a sequence of games at all for Cardiff.

Should Cardiff sell Gunnar if a bid came in? What fee would be acceptable? Would we need to bring in another centre mid? Or is the money best spent on another position?

Re: Selling Gunnarson (hypothetical)

I think he is more important to us than the fee we would get.

He is a defensive midfielder that brings very, very little going forward. He is one of the scapegoats where I sit in the ground. Watching the game v Fulham made me wish for him back!.

I'd have made him captain a while ago. But I am not in the changing rooms so maybe there's a reason. You need more than 1 leader on the field.

We could probably get £2m for him.

Hope he doesn't go,as already been said has had a great run of games

Not sure when his contract is up (Summer 2018?), but. given his form since Warnock came here and how he played for his country in the summer, I wouldn't even consider bids of less than £4 million for Gunnar in today's market. If we did sell him, I think O'Keefe is a good enough replacement if we are happy to potter along in lower mid table, but we'd have to pay more than £4 million to get someone with Gunnar's CV at the same age as him, so I'd only sell if someone was willing to pay silly money for him.