+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Film 17

Re: Film 17

Get Out - saw it in the cinema a last week. Great film! Comedy horror - but don't let the comedy side of it put you off. It's not really slapstick and although a couple of 'funny' moments, it builds the tension quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yep, watched it over the weekend.
    Fantastic film, brilliantly done and seriously creepy in all the right places. Quite funny at times as well.
    Yep. About 2/3's the way through I thought it was going to have a pretty run of the mill ending.

It pulls the rug from under your feet.

The horror dawns on you

I saw this last night:

Free State Of Jones.jpg

A fascinating but brutal story of Confederate deserters, runaway slaves and poor white farmers creating their own state in part of Mississippi towards the end of the civil war in opposition to the Confederacy. It is based on a true story, and the DVD documentary extras tell it brilliantly. The end of the civil war was just the start of their fight against the KKK and racist state laws. Well worth watching - though I don't know how it got away with a 15 cert.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I saw this last night:

Free State Of Jones.jpg

A fascinating but brutal story of Confederate deserters, runaway slaves and poor white farmers creating their own state in part of Mississippi towards the end of the civil war in opposition to the Confederacy. It is based on a true story, and the DVD documentary extras tell it brilliantly. The end of the civil war was just the start of their fight against the KKK and racist state laws. Well worth watching - though I don't know how it got away with a 15 cert.
    You are actually Joe Bennett and I claim my five pounds..

Judt finished watching The Wailing. After half an hour I thought Lord K had gone soft. The film seemed really stilted. It then starts getting darker and darker and more foreboding. It really keeps you guessing and is very entertaining. It ends up being a cracking chiller/horror.
    Great recommendation Lord K. Well worth watching.

Copenhagen on Netflix. A gem of a film. I really liked both leads and Copenhagen offers a great backdrop. Some nice funny moments within the unease of a relationship between a 28 year old American tourist and 14 local girl. Surprisingly uplifting.

Watched Raw today - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4954522/

Well worth a look if you like Cronenberg's body horror stuff and don't mind subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Watched Raw today - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4954522/

Well worth a look if you like Cronenberg's body horror stuff and don't mind subtitles.
    Looking forward to this myself, big fan of early Cronenberg.
    Saw Get Out over the weekend which I really enjoyed, also saw The Void http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4255304/ which I was a bit disappointed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Judt finished watching The Wailing. After half an hour I thought Lord K had gone soft. The film seemed really stilted. It then starts getting darker and darker and more foreboding. It really keeps you guessing and is very entertaining. It ends up being a cracking chiller/horror.
    Great recommendation Lord K. Well worth watching.
    Yep that is how I was as well.

"This is pretty run of the mill stuff" I thought. The main bad guy isn't even scary.

Then it takes a turn!. And afterwards I don't think I've thought about a film more. It all falls into place.

Spoilers

Alien Covenant

I don't mind deep films that make you think but this went too far. It begins with a discussion on humans finding their creator and the fact humans are the gods of machines. I was looking for closure on the big question involved and of course that isn't possible.

I thought before going to watch this it'd be back to just entertainment, guns and aliens. "Aliens" covenant - Got to be like the old Aliens surely?. Turns out this is Prometheus no.2. Some are going to be massively unimpressed with this.

It ambles along, I looked at my watch at it was close to finishing. A few shocks but no real scares. Then they cram in some Alien action near the end. It felt forced.

I think Mark Kermode sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE

It is worth watching but just don't get your hopes up.

Surely in the next one it'll be back to being after Alien 1. Because in Covenant you discover how the first Alien is created.

Hopefully...
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 15-05-17 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cćrdiffi View Post
    Yeah that's it. 2001 Nicole Kidman was an Uber-babe.
    She drove a taxi in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    This looks really good, hell of a cast.

Warning, hardcore swearing from the beginning so NSFW.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cćrdiffi View Post
    That looks like something I want to watch

Any idea when it's out?
    This has now got a U.S release in Oct but not until Jan in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Spoilers

Alien Covenant

I don't mind deep films that make you think but this went too far. It begins with a discussion on humans finding their creator and the fact humans are the gods of machines. I was looking for closure on the big question involved and of course that isn't possible.

I thought before going to watch this it'd be back to just entertainment, guns and aliens. "Aliens" covenant - Got to be like the old Aliens surely?. Turns out this is Prometheus no.2. Some are going to be massively unimpressed with this.

It ambles along, I looked at my watch at it was close to finishing. A few shocks but no real scares. Then they cram in some Alien action near the end. It felt forced.

I think Mark Kermode sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE

It is worth watching but just don't get your hopes up.

Surely in the next one it'll be back to being after Alien 1. Because in Covenant you discover how the first Alien is created.

Hopefully...
    Was a good story in it but executed poorly , hated how the aliens were CGI ,looked better in the originals

Watched Birdman on Netflix last night. I thought it overly American to start with and didn't want to like it but the film won me over. It was funny, a bit daft but heartwarming. I really enjoyed it

Last night I watched a film from 2008 call "A raisin in the sun."
    It's about a black family in America during the 1950s. I wouldn't say its a classic, but well worth a watch. 8-10

Just watched Tom Hanks new film "The Circle". In the same vein as Black Mirror but nowhere near as good. Not his best film by some way, 6.5/10 at best

I've been mostly seeing summer blockbusters with the kids.

Wonder Woman was excellent.
    Pirates, utter shite really boring.
    King Arthur, bloody ridiculous but a lot more fun than most reviews made out.
    The Mummy, not a good start for the Dark Universe, would have been better without Tom Cruise being peak Tom Cruise.
    Belko Experiment, not with the kids, good gory fun.

Instant classic I think.

Kind of like a musical but with a different spin on it.

The main guy listens to his ipod to drown out tinnitus. So the film is continually set to whatever music he listens to.

And most of it is great.

John Hamm is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Instant classic I think.

Kind of like a musical but with a different spin on it.

The main guy listens to his ipod to drown out tinnitus. So the film is continually set to whatever music he listens to.

And most of it is great.

John Hamm is hilarious.
    Absolutely brilliant film, as you say instant cult classic.

Far better musical than fekin La La Land.

Fantastic cast,brilliantly put together, need to see it again and cant wait for a home release or a decent leak.

Looking fwd to "sourcing" a copy of Baby Driver in the near future. Watched Ghost in the Shell last night. I realise fans of the original are highly critical of this remake. Personally I just thought it was very disappointing. Visually stunning but the story was dullness itself. Not for me.

Based on recommendations from here I finally got round to watching The Big Short. Thoroughly enjoyable and educational regarding the financial crisis, some great performances in there as well

I also watched another Christian Bale film recently in American Hustle, another good film which somehow made me feel sympathy for a corrupt politician

I also saw War Dogs which was really good but the ending felt a bit rushed, it also showcased Jonah Hill's expanding acting range

We saw this earlier in the week:

a man called ove.jpg

A fantastic film! I was laughing and crying at the same time coming out of the cinema. If you get the chance, watch it.

(The lead is Rolf Lassgard who played Wallander in the Swedish film adaptations - not the later TV series).

Went to see it comes at night last night. Really good psychological thriller/horror - well worth watching.

Watched Jawbone, British film about a boxer. Ray Winstone has a small part. Soundtrack by Paul Weller. Solid 7.5/10.

Available on the usual internet sources

Just seen "Churchill", starring Brian Cox and Miranda Richardson.

GIVE THIS A MISS!

It is boring, and little more than a character assassination on the great man, making him out to be a senile, bumbling oaf, who tried to STOP the Normandy landings!! (He had pressed for this operation for two years)

Awful.