+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Film 17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blue in the Face

Re: Film 17

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    We got around to watching 'Arrival' the other night, I thought it was a good idea for a film, it made me think about some things that I hadn't considered before which was good, in the end though I found myself too busy thinking about the agenda rather than watching the film, now I remember why I don't watch many films.
    It was painful wasn't it? Up there with Argo in terms of being so obvious

Hope the director doesn't do this to Blade Runner

Just watched Allied with Brad Pitt, not a classic by any means. A bit slow but a decent way to pass a couple of hours. A solid 7/10

The 33 on Sky Movies.

Really enjoyed it, it's about the Chilean miners with Antonio Banderas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

I haven't seen either of them.

I found Argo very slow and over-rated. Bladerunner was ahead of its time but I haven't seen it since it was released so don't know if it still seems as impressive.

Blue in the Face

Sorry guys I'm a movie nerd and assume folks know geeky stuff. The Arrival Director - Denis Villeneuve - is doing a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford and Ryan Goslng

Blog Entries

Sorry guys I'm a movie nerd and assume folks know geeky stuff. The Arrival Director - Denis Villeneuve - is doing a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford and Ryan Goslng
    Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .

Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    Not sure if its the best version though.

Blue in the Face

I'll sink my teeth into that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    I think I like the final cut the best. It feels way less muddled. Some of the earlier cuts made no sense. Think our Ridley was made to use Kubrick's left over footage from the Shining. Not sure sloppy seconds can work with filmmaking.

I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

Argo was shite mind

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

Argo was shite mind
    Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

It was ok but I've never watched a shark film that beats Jaws, without John Williams doing the soundtrack I doubt I ever will tbh.

Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.
    I did too, I've always been interested in how they translate ancient languages and stuff like that so I thought it was a good idea for a film but by the end I was googling 'the tower of babel'

Not a film but we watched the first two episodes of 'Sneaky Pete' last night, great cast and story, can tell already that we are going to love it.