+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Film 17

Re: Film 17

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Quite possibly the best superhero film I have seen.

Not a childs film at all they've gone all out in the swearing and gore department. And it is hilarious.
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.

Blog Entries

Just finished watching 'A Street Cat Named Bob' a very heartwarming film based on a true story, really enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606888/

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.
    Me and the missus went to see this today, top stuff. Worth going to the cinema for.

Just watched Wild with Reese Witherspoon based upon the 1100 mile hike across the PCT by Cheryl Strayed in 1995. Beautifully filmed and Witherspoon is impressive. Really worth watching.

Finally got round this week to watching Pans Labrynth. Its a dark fantasy/war drama set in 40's Spain. Wont be everyones cup of team with its mix of fantasy creatures and sometimes quite graphic violence. The subtitles will also put a few off but I thought it was really good. I dont like goblin underworld type stuff usually but the mix with war time fascism real world events is so unusual its gripping.

Just got around to watching The Nice Guys now its on Netflix. It had mixed reviews when it came out but I thought it was superb, laughed pretty much the whole way through, Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe make a really good double act in the classic buddy cop style.
    Its not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Shane Black also made, and this is similar too in style but then not many films are.
    Well worth a watch.

Blue in the Face

Just got around to watching The Nice Guys now its on Netflix. It had mixed reviews when it came out but I thought it was superb, laughed pretty much the whole way through, Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe make a really good double act in the classic buddy cop style.
    Its not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Shane Black also made, and this is similar too in style but then not many films are.
    Well worth a watch.
    It's brilliant isn't it. Really has that retro Shane Black Lethal Weapon flavour. Gosling is great as always, though I couldn't help thinking that Crowe looks too tired for action films now Maybe Black was going for that worn out Danny Glover archetype with that casting.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is better I agree, but I think that's Black's best film and he's unlikely to top it. He's doing "The Predator" next which I'm up for. Surely he'll make it more tongue and cheek like the original film which will be a nice break away from the annoyingly earnest blockbuster films we get in this Nolan era.

Smuggler - New to Sky Cinema.

One of the funniest black comedies I've seen. A guy agrees to smuggle drugs from Thailand to the US. He gets caught at security on the American side. The authorities then cannot force him to have an X Ray. They can't force him to take laxatives.

So they've got to wait for him to take a dump. They have 6 days maximum they can hold him in a hotel room. + He took a load of drugs before leaving Thailand to make him constipated.....

Not childish humour though. It's great.

This looks really good, hell of a cast.

Warning, hardcore swearing from the beginning so NSFW.

This looks really good, hell of a cast.

Warning, hardcore swearing from the beginning so NSFW.
    That looks like something I want to watch

Any idea when it's out?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    That looks like something I want to watch

Any idea when it's out?
    Nope, cant see any release date yet, IMDB say's it in post production but due a release this year.

Watched "we need to talk about Kevin" the other day.

**** me, that was a barrel of laughs.

Watched "Kong- Skull Island" today and really enjoyed it.
    Far better than any of the other Kong films made.
    Deffo worth a watch.

Watched "Kill the Messenger" (2014) on Netflix last night.

It stars Jeremy Renner and is based on the true story of Gary Webb, the journalist who exposed the CIA's importing of crack cocaine from South America and flooding many of the poorest parts of the US, in particular the black areas of Los Angeles, ruining communities with the drug in order to use the drug earnings to fund Ronald Reagan's private army, the Contras in the Nicaraguan war at a time when the US government were spending billions on an all-out "war on drugs".

Mad stuff and well worth a watch. If you do watch it, make sure you catch the details they put on screen at the end.

Banned

Smuggler - New to Sky Cinema.

One of the funniest black comedies I've seen. A guy agrees to smuggle drugs from Thailand to the US. He gets caught at security on the American side. The authorities then cannot force him to have an X Ray. They can't force him to take laxatives.

So they've got to wait for him to take a dump. They have 6 days maximum they can hold him in a hotel room. + He took a load of drugs before leaving Thailand to make him constipated.....

Not childish humour though. It's great.
    It was Australia.

Just watched The Nice Guys. Jeez definitely not my type of film.Decent soundtrack and that was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    It was Australia.
    No idea what I was on about they all have strong Aussie accents!.

Loads of people say it is boring but I don't see that at all. One of the best scifi films I have seen. More realistic as to what first contact will be like maybe?. Because why do we think alien species will think like our primitive, war mongering minds. We evolved from apes, the human mind is weak!.

Watched this last night, I was looking forward too it without knowing too much about it, only that its had a lot of buzz at horror festivals.
    Really enjoyed it, Alice Lowe is superb. Didn't expect it to be so funny, some real laugh out loud moments, and didn't realise it was filmed in Cardiff, so surprised to see some familiar places crop up.

Whilst waiting for something to happen in The walking Dead try Train to Busan - a Korean Zombie film thats a lot of fun

More 28 Days later than Romero

One of the films recommended on the Film 16 thread was Incendies. Just watched it. What a brilliant film. Superb choreography,very well acted,highly evocative,great story and a fine soundtrack. Its right up there. A top top film.

Watched it before but it was on again last night. Genuinely the most horrible film I have ever seen. No happiness, at all.

Quality!.Watch it if you get a chance.

Watch this if you get the chance, it's on netflix.

Don't read much about it just know that is the best horror I've ever seen. It's in Korean.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    One of the films recommended on the Film 16 thread was Incendies. Just watched it. What a brilliant film. Superb choreography,very well acted,highly evocative,great story and a fine soundtrack. Its right up there. A top top film.
    That was me mate. Think you said you bought it for your son if I remember right. Same director Denis Villeneuve as 'The Arrival' mentioned above, which I can't say I enjoyed though it was thought provoking. A few other films really great films he made which I like are French Canadian film "Maelstrom", "Enemy" and "Prisoners". Think the last one is on Netflix.

Seeing as you like Incendies, I would recommend an Iranian film called "About Elly" / "Darbareye Elly". But go in blind and don't read up on the story if you can.

Watched it before but it was on again last night. Genuinely the most horrible film I have ever seen. No happiness, at all.

Quality!.Watch it if you get a chance.
    Amazing / nasty film.

Watch this if you get the chance, it's on netflix.

Don't read much about it just know that is the best horror I've ever seen. It's in Korean.
    Yep, watched it over the weekend.
    Fantastic film, brilliantly done and seriously creepy in all the right places. Quite funny at times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    That was me mate. Think you said you bought it for your son if I remember right. Same director Denis Villeneuve as 'The Arrival' mentioned above, which I can't say I enjoyed though it was thought provoking. A few other films really great films he made which I like are French Canadian film "Maelstrom", "Enemy" and "Prisoners". Think the last one is on Netflix.

Seeing as you like Incendies, I would recommend an Iranian film called "About Elly" / "Darbareye Elly". But go in blind and don't read up on the story if you can.

Amazing / nasty film.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I shall look out for Prisoners and Lord K's The Wailing next as I am on hols next week.
    About Elly also noted. If its as good as Incendies it will be defintely worth watching.