+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 145

Thread: Film 17

  1. #41
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,958
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Sorry guys I'm a movie nerd and assume folks know geeky stuff. The Arrival Director - Denis Villeneuve - is doing a Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford and Ryan Goslng
    Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

    Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .
    "One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship." -- George Orwell

  2. #42

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

    Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

    So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    Not sure if its the best version though.

  3. #43

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Ah I see what you mean now, not sure why I never got around to watching the first one.

    Also watched 'The Shallows' , if you like shark films you might like it but it's no Jaws .
    I'll sink my teeth into that. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

    So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    Not sure if its the best version though.
    I think I like the final cut the best. It feels way less muddled. Some of the earlier cuts made no sense. Think our Ridley was made to use Kubrick's left over footage from the Shining. Not sure sloppy seconds can work with filmmaking.

  4. #44

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    It was painful wasn't it? Up there with Argo in terms of being so obvious

    Hope the director doesn't do this to Blade Runner
    I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

    Argo was shite mind

  5. #45

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    I didn't think it was that pointed - it's easy to see how you could come to that conclusion but it could be argued to be quite the opposite. I thought this was a good film overall, really enjoyed it.

    Argo was shite mind
    Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

    I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.

  6. #46
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,958
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Loved the Shallows, introduced my 12 y/o to Bladerunner last week and it really stands up.

    So many different versions though, I think we watched the final cut version as I had seen the others in the cinema.
    Not sure if its the best version though.
    It was ok but I've never watched a shark film that beats Jaws, without John Williams doing the soundtrack I doubt I ever will tbh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Argo was shite I agree, but that's the kind of standard you get when the CIA try and make films I guess .

    I'm not saying that The Arrival was bad at all. Actually found it quite interesting. But Mrs R was making the point that it was blatant agitprop which I thought it was too.
    I did too, I've always been interested in how they translate ancient languages and stuff like that so I thought it was a good idea for a film but by the end I was googling 'the tower of babel'

    Not a film but we watched the first two episodes of 'Sneaky Pete' last night, great cast and story, can tell already that we are going to love it.
    "One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship." -- George Orwell

  7. #47

    Re: Film 17

    The Girl with all the gifts.

    The Girl with All the Gifts is a 2016 British post-apocalyptic zombie horror drama film directed by Colm McCarthy and written by M.R. Carey adapted from his novel of the same name. Starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, Glenn Close, and Sennia Nanua, the plot depicts a dystopian future following a breakdown of society after most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection and focuses upon the struggle of a scientist, a teacher and two soldiers who embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.[3]


    Excellent zombie film in the mould of 28 days later. Not bad film apart from last 10 minutes but then a twist at the end
    Last edited by uncle bob; 07-02-17 at 05:37.

  8. #48

    Re: Film 17

    Trainspotting 2 is excellent

  9. #49

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    The Girl with all the gifts.


    The Girl with All the Gifts is a 2016 British post-apocalyptic zombie horror drama film directed by Colm McCarthy and written by M.R. Carey adapted from his novel of the same name. Starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, Glenn Close, and Sennia Nanua, the plot depicts a dystopian future following a breakdown of society after most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection and focuses upon the struggle of a scientist, a teacher and two soldiers who embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.[3]


    Excellent zombie film in the mould of 28 days later. Not bad film apart from last 10 minutes but then a twist at the end
    https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FnflAo9xAVo

  10. #50

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Saw a film on Netflix last night called "Unbroken" about Olympian Louis Zamperini's struggle for survival after a plane crash into the Pacific in World War 2, 47 days adrift in a raft followed by 2 years in brutal Japanese prisoner of war camps.

    Written by the Coen Brothers and directed by Angelina Jolie. After the film I was amazed about how much this guy went through I looked into how true this story was and found that it is pretty much a 100% depiction of his experiences.

    Well worth a watch.
    Agreed.Just watched this. It was an uneven start but a strong second half of the film. Well worth a watch.

  11. #51

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Trainspotting 2 is excellent
    Yes went to see it this week, very good film.

  12. #52

    Re: Film 17

    Ex Machina on Netflix. If you like Black Mirror you will like this.A bit too much dialogue for me but it kept me interested. All the better for seeing the delightful Alicia Vikander naked #I need to grow up.

  13. #53

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    The Girl with all the gifts.

    The Girl with All the Gifts is a 2016 British post-apocalyptic zombie horror drama film directed by Colm McCarthy and written by M.R. Carey adapted from his novel of the same name. Starring Gemma Arterton, Paddy Considine, Glenn Close, and Sennia Nanua, the plot depicts a dystopian future following a breakdown of society after most of humanity is wiped out by a fungal infection and focuses upon the struggle of a scientist, a teacher and two soldiers who embark on a journey of survival with a special young girl named Melanie.[3]


    Excellent zombie film in the mould of 28 days later. Not bad film apart from last 10 minutes but then a twist at the end
    Saw this last weekend. Really enjoyed it

  14. #54

    Re: Film 17

    Just watched The Theory of Everything.What a brilliant performance by Eddie Redmayne

  15. #55

    Re: Film 17

    Re-watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World recently. It may have flopped slightly at the box office, but Edgar Wright's style really shines through, some of the transitions are brilliant

  16. #56
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,433

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Trainspotting 2 is excellent
    It is.
    there are fascists pretending to be humanitarians like cannibals on a healthkick eating only vegetarians (Roger McGough)

  17. #57

    Re: Film 17

    Watched Lion tonight. What a top film! Anyone else seen it as I have a question

  18. #58
    International Colonel Cærdiffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Land of North
    Posts
    26,681
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Watched Lion tonight. What a top film! Anyone else seen it as I have a question
    I know what you're going to ask and no, sea-lions are not actually lions.

    Hope this helps.

  19. #59

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I know what you're going to ask and no, sea-lions are not actually lions.

    Hope this helps.


    I watched a really good copy on kodi, but for the best part of an hour at the start they're talking bengal (I think) with no subtitles.

    Now I don't know if that's for effect because the young Sirou is lost and doesn't understand the language in Calcutta, or whether it just missing cos it's a copy. There's not a great deal of dialogue and you manage to follow what's going on so I get the feeling it's the former..just wanted to know if anyone saw it in the cinema and can confirm it!

  20. #60

    Re: Film 17

    Four Lions > any other film about lions

    Saw The Founder over the weekend, really interesting account of how McDonalds came about. Gonna see Moonlight this week, looking forward to it...

  21. #61

    Re: Film 17

    Saw Jackie and John Wick 2 his weekend, really enjoyed both.
    Natalie Portman is fantastic in Jackie and the soundtrack is really unsettling, fits the film brilliantly.

    John wick out mentals the first and is just pure gun porn and violence, plus death by pencil.
    Loved it.

  22. #62
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,433

    Re: Film 17

    Just come back from watching Hidden Figures, the story of the black women who worked on the American space programme - in the 1960s - and faced racial and sexual discrimination on a scale hard to imagine (or remember) today.

    Excellent film with Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe in the lead roles, supported by Jim Parsons (aka Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), Kirsten Dunst and Kevin Coster (who plays Kevin Coster from any film he's done in the last 20 years).

    John Glenn comes out of it very well too.
    there are fascists pretending to be humanitarians like cannibals on a healthkick eating only vegetarians (Roger McGough)

  23. #63

    Re: Film 17

    Don't Take Me Home. Hugely enjoyable with some laughs,smiles and tears. Emotional bits included the national anthem in Bordeaux,the demolition of Russia and the homecoming.
    The film starts slowly with the Speed tribute but gradually gathers pace. Bale's on camera chemistry and Coleman's wise words especially about these being the best days of the players live stand out as did Bale's incredible leg muscles.

    Ronaldo's header against us was better than I had previously thought. It was immense. His after the game consolation of Bale is iconic in a similar way to Moore and Pele in Mexico 70.
    My only gripes would be that a bit more time could have been spent on the qualifiers and some of the memorable chants and songs like Zombie Nation,Hal Robson Hal Robson Kanu and Can't take my eyes of you could have had an airing.

    Overall though it was a fitting film evoking some wonderful memories and achievements.

  24. #64
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,433

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Watched Lion tonight. What a top film! Anyone else seen it as I have a question
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post


    I watched a really good copy on kodi, but for the best part of an hour at the start they're talking bengal (I think) with no subtitles.

    Now I don't know if that's for effect because the young Sirou is lost and doesn't understand the language in Calcutta, or whether it just missing cos it's a copy. There's not a great deal of dialogue and you manage to follow what's going on so I get the feeling it's the former..just wanted to know if anyone saw it in the cinema and can confirm it!

    We saw it yesterday. Brilliant film - especially the early part in India. Genuine tear-jerker at the end.

    In answer to your question - yes there are subtitles from the start whenever Hindi or Bengali are spoken. So you didn't watch a really good copy. We met a friend on the way out of the cinema whose daughter had watched a 'dodgy' download a few days before, and that was also without subtitles. She wasn't as confident as you that she was following the story properly without them.
    there are fascists pretending to be humanitarians like cannibals on a healthkick eating only vegetarians (Roger McGough)

  25. #65

    Re: Film 17

    I might have been overly confident! Still, I enjoyed the film, but I'll watch it again with the subtitles. Thanks for getting back to me :thumb up:

  26. #66

    Re: Film 17



    https://play.google.com/store/movies...1zms0&hl=en_GB

    Great entertainment. Watch it!. Not scary though.

  27. #67
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    12,856

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just come back from watching Hidden Figures, the story of the black women who worked on the American space programme - in the 1960s - and faced racial and sexual discrimination on a scale hard to imagine (or remember) today.

    Excellent film with Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe in the lead roles, supported by Jim Parsons (aka Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), Kirsten Dunst and Kevin Coster (who plays Kevin Coster from any film he's done in the last 20 years).

    John Glenn comes out of it very well too.
    The Mrs dragged me along kicking and screaming to see this on Saturday afternoon. Spent the last half hour busting for a piss but didn't want to miss anything. I absolutely loved it.
    What struck home to me was how such discrimination could be perceived as "normal" in society, even among people who weren't overtly racist e.g it took a rant to make the Kevin Costner character aware of it.

    Truly amazing to see what those ladies eventually went on to achieve and the recognition they received.

  28. #68

    Re: Film 17

    Watched 'Life Animated' last night. Super documentary by Roger Williams about an autistic boy (now 23) who finds how to communicate through Disney movie dialogue and actions. Moving and very funny... while his brother points out the pitfalls of having a brother who only has a view of relationships through Disney movies and suggests 'Disney porn' to help his bro. Funny. respect to Disney for allowing so much footage and their employees to be used in the documentary

  29. #69

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The Mrs dragged me along kicking and screaming to see this on Saturday afternoon. Spent the last half hour busting for a piss but didn't want to miss anything. I absolutely loved it.
    What struck home to me was how such discrimination could be perceived as "normal" in society, even among people who weren't overtly racist e.g it took a rant to make the Kevin Costner character aware of it.

    Truly amazing to see what those ladies eventually went on to achieve and the recognition they received.
    Good shout out... looking forward to seeing it.

  30. #70

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    Four Lions > any other film about lions

    Saw The Founder over the weekend, really interesting account of how McDonalds came about. Gonna see Moonlight this week, looking forward to it...
    Liked the Founder. Very interesting and honestly I had never given a thoughts as to how McDonalds started.

  31. #71

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Saw this last weekend. Really enjoyed it
    Not my usual genre of movie but thought the girl who played the girl with all the gifts was brilliant. Enjoyed it.

  32. #72

    Re: Film 17

    one of my favorite films of the last few years and one of the funniest scenes...

    "Would that it were so simple"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rDw2YBUz6A

  33. #73

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    one of my favorite films of the last few years and one of the funniest scenes...

    "Would that it were so simple"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rDw2YBUz6A
    Great scene! No doubt. Thought the movie was a monumental let down though sadly. Like the history side though

  34. #74

    Re: Film 17

    John Wick 2 is really good , thought it was better than the 1st

  35. #75

    Re: Film 17



    Quite possibly the best superhero film I have seen.

    Not a childs film at all they've gone all out in the swearing and gore department. And it is hilarious.

  36. #76

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post


    Quite possibly the best superhero film I have seen.

    Not a childs film at all they've gone all out in the swearing and gore department. And it is hilarious.
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.

  37. #77
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,958
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Film 17

    Just finished watching 'A Street Cat Named Bob' a very heartwarming film based on a true story, really enjoyed it.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606888/
    "One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship." -- George Orwell

  38. #78
    International Colonel Cærdiffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Land of North
    Posts
    26,681
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.
    Me and the missus went to see this today, top stuff. Worth going to the cinema for.

  39. #79

    Re: Film 17

    Just watched Wild with Reese Witherspoon based upon the 1100 mile hike across the PCT by Cheryl Strayed in 1995. Beautifully filmed and Witherspoon is impressive. Really worth watching.

  40. #80
    First Team El Gwapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Credibility Street
    Posts
    1,139

    Re: Film 17

    Finally got round this week to watching Pans Labrynth. Its a dark fantasy/war drama set in 40's Spain. Wont be everyones cup of team with its mix of fantasy creatures and sometimes quite graphic violence. The subtitles will also put a few off but I thought it was really good. I dont like goblin underworld type stuff usually but the mix with war time fascism real world events is so unusual its gripping.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •