+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 192

Thread: Film 17

  1. #61

    Re: Film 17

    Saw Jackie and John Wick 2 his weekend, really enjoyed both.
    Natalie Portman is fantastic in Jackie and the soundtrack is really unsettling, fits the film brilliantly.

    John wick out mentals the first and is just pure gun porn and violence, plus death by pencil.
    Loved it.

  2. #62
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    7,392

    Re: Film 17

    Just come back from watching Hidden Figures, the story of the black women who worked on the American space programme - in the 1960s - and faced racial and sexual discrimination on a scale hard to imagine (or remember) today.

    Excellent film with Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe in the lead roles, supported by Jim Parsons (aka Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), Kirsten Dunst and Kevin Coster (who plays Kevin Coster from any film he's done in the last 20 years).

    John Glenn comes out of it very well too.

  3. #63

    Re: Film 17

    Don't Take Me Home. Hugely enjoyable with some laughs,smiles and tears. Emotional bits included the national anthem in Bordeaux,the demolition of Russia and the homecoming.
    The film starts slowly with the Speed tribute but gradually gathers pace. Bale's on camera chemistry and Coleman's wise words especially about these being the best days of the players live stand out as did Bale's incredible leg muscles.

    Ronaldo's header against us was better than I had previously thought. It was immense. His after the game consolation of Bale is iconic in a similar way to Moore and Pele in Mexico 70.
    My only gripes would be that a bit more time could have been spent on the qualifiers and some of the memorable chants and songs like Zombie Nation,Hal Robson Hal Robson Kanu and Can't take my eyes of you could have had an airing.

    Overall though it was a fitting film evoking some wonderful memories and achievements.

  4. #64
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    7,392

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Watched Lion tonight. What a top film! Anyone else seen it as I have a question
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post


    I watched a really good copy on kodi, but for the best part of an hour at the start they're talking bengal (I think) with no subtitles.

    Now I don't know if that's for effect because the young Sirou is lost and doesn't understand the language in Calcutta, or whether it just missing cos it's a copy. There's not a great deal of dialogue and you manage to follow what's going on so I get the feeling it's the former..just wanted to know if anyone saw it in the cinema and can confirm it!

    We saw it yesterday. Brilliant film - especially the early part in India. Genuine tear-jerker at the end.

    In answer to your question - yes there are subtitles from the start whenever Hindi or Bengali are spoken. So you didn't watch a really good copy. We met a friend on the way out of the cinema whose daughter had watched a 'dodgy' download a few days before, and that was also without subtitles. She wasn't as confident as you that she was following the story properly without them.

  5. #65

    Re: Film 17

    I might have been overly confident! Still, I enjoyed the film, but I'll watch it again with the subtitles. Thanks for getting back to me :thumb up:

  6. #66

    Re: Film 17



    https://play.google.com/store/movies...1zms0&hl=en_GB

    Great entertainment. Watch it!. Not scary though.

  7. #67
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Just come back from watching Hidden Figures, the story of the black women who worked on the American space programme - in the 1960s - and faced racial and sexual discrimination on a scale hard to imagine (or remember) today.

    Excellent film with Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe in the lead roles, supported by Jim Parsons (aka Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), Kirsten Dunst and Kevin Coster (who plays Kevin Coster from any film he's done in the last 20 years).

    John Glenn comes out of it very well too.
    The Mrs dragged me along kicking and screaming to see this on Saturday afternoon. Spent the last half hour busting for a piss but didn't want to miss anything. I absolutely loved it.
    What struck home to me was how such discrimination could be perceived as "normal" in society, even among people who weren't overtly racist e.g it took a rant to make the Kevin Costner character aware of it.

    Truly amazing to see what those ladies eventually went on to achieve and the recognition they received.

  8. #68

    Re: Film 17

    Watched 'Life Animated' last night. Super documentary by Roger Williams about an autistic boy (now 23) who finds how to communicate through Disney movie dialogue and actions. Moving and very funny... while his brother points out the pitfalls of having a brother who only has a view of relationships through Disney movies and suggests 'Disney porn' to help his bro. Funny. respect to Disney for allowing so much footage and their employees to be used in the documentary

  9. #69

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The Mrs dragged me along kicking and screaming to see this on Saturday afternoon. Spent the last half hour busting for a piss but didn't want to miss anything. I absolutely loved it.
    What struck home to me was how such discrimination could be perceived as "normal" in society, even among people who weren't overtly racist e.g it took a rant to make the Kevin Costner character aware of it.

    Truly amazing to see what those ladies eventually went on to achieve and the recognition they received.
    Good shout out... looking forward to seeing it.

  10. #70

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    Four Lions > any other film about lions

    Saw The Founder over the weekend, really interesting account of how McDonalds came about. Gonna see Moonlight this week, looking forward to it...
    Liked the Founder. Very interesting and honestly I had never given a thoughts as to how McDonalds started.

  11. #71

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Saw this last weekend. Really enjoyed it
    Not my usual genre of movie but thought the girl who played the girl with all the gifts was brilliant. Enjoyed it.

  12. #72

    Re: Film 17

    one of my favorite films of the last few years and one of the funniest scenes...

    "Would that it were so simple"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rDw2YBUz6A

  13. #73

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    one of my favorite films of the last few years and one of the funniest scenes...

    "Would that it were so simple"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rDw2YBUz6A
    Great scene! No doubt. Thought the movie was a monumental let down though sadly. Like the history side though

  14. #74

    Re: Film 17

    John Wick 2 is really good , thought it was better than the 1st

  15. #75

    Re: Film 17



    Quite possibly the best superhero film I have seen.

    Not a childs film at all they've gone all out in the swearing and gore department. And it is hilarious.

  16. #76

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post


    Quite possibly the best superhero film I have seen.

    Not a childs film at all they've gone all out in the swearing and gore department. And it is hilarious.
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.

  17. #77
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Film 17

    Just finished watching 'A Street Cat Named Bob' a very heartwarming film based on a true story, really enjoyed it.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606888/

  18. #78

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yep,really is very good.
    Fair play to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, seeing they have played these characters so many times in the past its great to see the levels of performance given here, shows real dedication and respect to the characters and fans of the films and comics.
    And the young girl as x-23 is fekin incredible, this is a serious brutal film.
    Me and the missus went to see this today, top stuff. Worth going to the cinema for.

  19. #79

    Re: Film 17

    Just watched Wild with Reese Witherspoon based upon the 1100 mile hike across the PCT by Cheryl Strayed in 1995. Beautifully filmed and Witherspoon is impressive. Really worth watching.

  20. #80
    First Team El Gwapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Credibility Street
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: Film 17

    Finally got round this week to watching Pans Labrynth. Its a dark fantasy/war drama set in 40's Spain. Wont be everyones cup of team with its mix of fantasy creatures and sometimes quite graphic violence. The subtitles will also put a few off but I thought it was really good. I dont like goblin underworld type stuff usually but the mix with war time fascism real world events is so unusual its gripping.

  21. #81

    Re: Film 17

    Just got around to watching The Nice Guys now its on Netflix. It had mixed reviews when it came out but I thought it was superb, laughed pretty much the whole way through, Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe make a really good double act in the classic buddy cop style.
    Its not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Shane Black also made, and this is similar too in style but then not many films are.
    Well worth a watch.

  22. #82

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Just got around to watching The Nice Guys now its on Netflix. It had mixed reviews when it came out but I thought it was superb, laughed pretty much the whole way through, Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe make a really good double act in the classic buddy cop style.
    Its not as good as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Shane Black also made, and this is similar too in style but then not many films are.
    Well worth a watch.
    It's brilliant isn't it. Really has that retro Shane Black Lethal Weapon flavour. Gosling is great as always, though I couldn't help thinking that Crowe looks too tired for action films now Maybe Black was going for that worn out Danny Glover archetype with that casting.

    "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is better I agree, but I think that's Black's best film and he's unlikely to top it. He's doing "The Predator" next which I'm up for. Surely he'll make it more tongue and cheek like the original film which will be a nice break away from the annoyingly earnest blockbuster films we get in this Nolan era.

  23. #83

    Re: Film 17



    Smuggler - New to Sky Cinema.

    One of the funniest black comedies I've seen. A guy agrees to smuggle drugs from Thailand to the US. He gets caught at security on the American side. The authorities then cannot force him to have an X Ray. They can't force him to take laxatives.

    So they've got to wait for him to take a dump. They have 6 days maximum they can hold him in a hotel room. + He took a load of drugs before leaving Thailand to make him constipated.....

    Not childish humour though. It's great.

  24. #84

    Re: Film 17

    This looks really good, hell of a cast.

    Warning, hardcore swearing from the beginning so NSFW.


  25. #85

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    This looks really good, hell of a cast.

    Warning, hardcore swearing from the beginning so NSFW.
    That looks like something I want to watch

    Any idea when it's out?

  26. #86

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    That looks like something I want to watch

    Any idea when it's out?
    Nope, cant see any release date yet, IMDB say's it in post production but due a release this year.

  27. #87

    Re: Film 17

    Watched "we need to talk about Kevin" the other day.

    **** me, that was a barrel of laughs.

  28. #88

    Re: Film 17

    Watched "Kong- Skull Island" today and really enjoyed it.
    Far better than any of the other Kong films made.
    Deffo worth a watch.

  29. #89

    Re: Film 17

    Watched "Kill the Messenger" (2014) on Netflix last night.

    It stars Jeremy Renner and is based on the true story of Gary Webb, the journalist who exposed the CIA's importing of crack cocaine from South America and flooding many of the poorest parts of the US, in particular the black areas of Los Angeles, ruining communities with the drug in order to use the drug earnings to fund Ronald Reagan's private army, the Contras in the Nicaraguan war at a time when the US government were spending billions on an all-out "war on drugs".

    Mad stuff and well worth a watch. If you do watch it, make sure you catch the details they put on screen at the end.

  30. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Film 17

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post


    Smuggler - New to Sky Cinema.

    One of the funniest black comedies I've seen. A guy agrees to smuggle drugs from Thailand to the US. He gets caught at security on the American side. The authorities then cannot force him to have an X Ray. They can't force him to take laxatives.

    So they've got to wait for him to take a dump. They have 6 days maximum they can hold him in a hotel room. + He took a load of drugs before leaving Thailand to make him constipated.....

    Not childish humour though. It's great.
    It was Australia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •