+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Campbell on Dave Jones

Re: Andy Campbell on Dave Jones

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm sure you're talking about the one in the 0-0 draw with Leeds in 2005. Campbell's career was in a steep decline by then and Dave Jones didn't arrive at City for another eight months or so - there may be another reason why he has such a low opinion of the surly scouser, but he's deluding himself if he thinks he was harshly treated by him.

That said, there's no way his Play Off Final goal was a mishit cross - it was probably as good a finish as he ever produced in a City shirt.
    As bad as it was, at least he took the responsibility. We were in a bad run at the time and everyone else scarpered.

Maybe he doesn't delude himself about being released but there are ways and means of going about it. Campbell (whilst on loan) came across as quite arrogant but later this appeared to be a front and was perhaps an attempt to compensate for a basic lack of confidence. I imagine there are plenty of blokes working in football who have little sympathy for such a mentality, and wouldn't be surprised if DJ was one of them.

We don't know what happened at all; he could be speaking about something that could horrify us or make us shrug and not really understand why he's got so upset so many years after leaving DJ's company. That he's a bit far away from the top striker thread doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    not disputing that fact

not sure he had found his level with us, he was not upto the job on a regular basis
    It was his lack of effort that I most remember. He used to shrug rather than run for a ball that wasn't passed to his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Take it you never saw Don Murrey's non-effort

The balls still in orbit.
    And that was a bloody shoot-out decider in a ECWC game!

dave jones is a surly ****

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    Yes it was against Leeds Bob, Cambell was very low on confidence at the time and when he stepped up to take it I think the whole crowd gasped and I think he sensed it. Must admit I felt sorry for him that day, he just never connected with the ball. As for Dave Jones, met him just the once when he was promoting his book in Southampton, lets just say he wasn't very communicative? lol. Done a good job with us but just couldn't take us over the line
    My distinct memory was that a lot of the crowd were audibly groaning that AC was even taking the penalty. And a fair few noisily barracking. Good start!
    The pen was in front of the Family stand and the groaning was audible from where i stood in the Grange (which was subdued - for the Grange)

It was as if everyone knew what was going to happen .. which probably contributed to it happening. As everybody then, of course, knew that it would.
    Campbell then ran past the goal and kicked the hoarding in frustration.

I don't even recall seeing him in a league game after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    As bad as it was, at least he took the responsibility. We were in a bad run at the time and everyone else scarpered.

Maybe he doesn't delude himself about being released but there are ways and means of going about it. Campbell (whilst on loan) came across as quite arrogant but later this appeared to be a front and was perhaps an attempt to compensate for a basic lack of confidence. I imagine there are plenty of blokes working in football who have little sympathy for such a mentality, and wouldn't be surprised if DJ was one of them.
    I would be more inclined to believe that if he had not achieved what he did at Middlesbrough early in his career when he looked at home in the Premier League. It turned out that he was not quite good enough to build a career there in the top division, but my reaction on hearing that he was joining us on loan as a League One club was "Why? He's too good for us."

I've more sympathy for him with that penalty though - the impression I got was the same one as a few on this thread, he looked like he didn't want to take it, so, if that were true, why didn't one of the other players take the responsisbility - think Kav was suspended for that game.

Yes thats about right.

I've more sympathy for him with that penalty though - the impression I got was the same one as a few on this thread, he looked like he didn't want to take it, so, if that were true, why didn't one of the other players take the responsisbility - think Kav was suspended for that game.
    wasnt the whole team on a bit of a slump at the time

When Andy Campbell signed for us on loan, at that time I had never seen pace like it. He could give the defenders a few yards and simply breeze past them. He had a decent finish to boot and after that loan spell we had to sign him.

After he signed he just wasn’t the same player. By the time Jones came here his Cardiff Career was finished. Campbell had to sit on his big contract (he pretty much went non-league after us), Jones wanted rid to bring in players using the part of the budget Campbell was taking up.

In this situation its easy to see why they didn’t like each other, one is looking at a player free loading, taking the easy option, and the other is not liking his life being made hard for him.

Either way there is no real shock or story in this.

I would be more inclined to believe that if he had not achieved what he did at Middlesbrough early in his career when he looked at home in the Premier League. It turned out that he was not quite good enough to build a career there in the top division, but my reaction on hearing that he was joining us on loan as a League One club was "Why? He's too good for us."
    Saying that, we've had a few Premier League youngsters over the years that we thought we were lucky to have, then they turned out to be utter gash with us before fizzling away in the lower divisions or even out of the league. A recent Wales Online quiz reminded me of Kerrea Gilbert - an ex Arsenal full back with Champions League experience, who got rave reviews for us. He's still only 28 has certainly not had the career predicted of him having moved to Slovakia to continue a career that had nosedived to non-league status rather rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Saying that, we've had a few Premier League youngsters over the years that we thought we were lucky to have, then they turned out to be utter gash with us before fizzling away in the lower divisions or even out of the league. A recent Wales Online quiz reminded me of Kerrea Gilbert - an ex Arsenal full back with Champions League experience, who got rave reviews for us. He's still only 28 has certainly not had the career predicted of him having moved to Slovakia to continue a career that had nosedived to non-league status rather rapidly.
    Gilbert looked outstanding at first, and then after "PM Dudders" he dropped out of the side and his career nose-dived. Not too dissimilar to our season, 3 points clear in November and ended up finishing 13th with 1 point from our last 8 games, and one win in our last 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Gilbert looked outstanding at first, and then after "PM Dudders" he dropped out of the side and his career nose-dived. Not too dissimilar to our season, 3 points clear in November and ended up finishing 13th with 1 point from our last 8 games, and one win in our last 11.
    I think that I'm the only one here who DIDN'T manage to find out the content of 'PM Dudders'

Bollocks to all this

Did Campbell ever thank Andy Legg for the superb assist.
    The best assist in our clubs history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that I'm the only one here who DIDN'T manage to find out the content of 'PM Dudders'

PM Dudders

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    PM Dudders
    Some very happy memories on here tonite. Used to be some real fun, interesting posts. Made this MB special.Would be nice to have some of that again.
    ps i did pm Dudders and I know the answer to the conundrum.