+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Campbell on Dave Jones

Andy Campbell on Dave Jones

Tweeted last night after DJs appointment as Hartlepool manager -

Biggest wanker in football. Some of the things he said to me were awful and I'll take them with me for life.

Guess they didn't get on then.

Re: Andy Campbell on Dave Jones

Probably bollocked him for scoring 5 goals in about 60 matches. Must be hard being a manager and trying to keep players happy even when you don't play them. Bothroyd and Chopra loved playing for him

Same with Malky some players loved him and players like Parkin and Gerrard hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Probably bollocked him for scoring 5 goals in about 60 matches. Must be hard being a manager and trying to keep players happy even when you don't play them. Bothroyd and Chopra loved playing for him

Same with Malky some players loved him and players like Parkin and Gerrard hated him.
    Campbell also wasn't DJ'S signing so would have had to prove himself again (again?!) and he wouldn't get as many chances as he did under Lennie.

Sour grapes from AC which is understandable as nobody likes to be left on the scrapheap.
    There are of course 2 sides to every story but like him or not, I suspect Dave Jones has a bit more class than to call people names on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Campbell also wasn't DJ'S signing so would have had to prove himself again (again?!) and he wouldn't get as many chances as he did under Lennie.

Sour grapes from AC which is understandable as nobody likes to be left on the scrapheap.
    There are of course 2 sides to every story but like him or not, I suspect Dave Jones has a bit more class than to call people names on twitter.
    Plus if anyone was a wanker then Campbell would be high on the list.
    I know he scored the goal in the play off final (still think it may have been a mis hit cross) but apart from that he had nothing about him and I remember regularly saying I cannot understand how he became a professional footballer

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I know he scored the goal in the play off final (still think it may have been a mis hit cross) but apart from that he had nothing about him and I remember regularly saying I cannot understand how he became a professional footballer
    Really?

His goals when he was on loan got us into the play-offs.

Earnie was second choice behind him for a while, often coming on as sub.
    Then Earnie became rather good at getting the odd goal or ten, and AC was forever in Earnie's shadow.
    Another example of a player good on loan, then shite once he got a permanent contract?
    AC never regained his scoring touch, and the missed pelanty vs Leeds was diabolical.

He made his name at Middlesbro, scoring against (the then very strong) Man Utd in the cup when they knocked them out. Despite that, I remember the Boro fans being delighted that he was coming to us.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Then Earnie became rather good at getting the odd goal or ten, and AC was forever in Earnie's shadow.
    Another example of a player good on loan, then shite once he got a permanent contract?
    AC never regained his scoring touch, and the missed pelanty vs Leeds was diabolical.
    The worst penalty I have ever seen a City player take, sadly

To who? It was clearly a shot, it comes right off the laces for starters.

He's a nice bloke though and says what DJ said to him went well beyond what was acceptable, which I can believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    To who? It was clearly a shot, it comes right off the laces for starters.

He's a nice bloke though and says what DJ said to him went well beyond what was acceptable, which I can believe.
    Doesnt detract from the fact he was a lazy good for nothing "footballer"
    I remember him whining in the echo that he was being shut out. He got played and showed no interest what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post

Take it you never saw Don Murrey's non-effort

The balls still in orbit.

Spoke to Andy a few times, A nice bloke and just wanted to play football

If he says DJ was horrid to him, my guess is that he was, lets be honest, Jones man-management ideas where terrible

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Spoke to Andy a few times, A nice bloke and just wanted to play football

If he says DJ was horrid to him, my guess is that he was, lets be honest, Jones man-management ideas where terrible
    Campbell was a disgrace. Couldn't be bothered most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm sure you're talking about the one in the 0-0 draw with Leeds in 2005. Campbell's career was in a steep decline by then and Dave Jones didn't arrive at City for another eight months or so - there may be another reason why he has such a low opinion of the surly scouser, but he's deluding himself if he thinks he was harshly treated by him.

That said, there's no way his Play Off Final goal was a mishit cross - it was probably as good a finish as he ever produced in a City shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Campbell was a disgrace. Couldn't be bothered most of the time.
    not disputing that fact

not sure he had found his level with us, he was not upto the job on a regular basis

Wtf???

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

This is true - he was great when he was on loan (did he score 8 goals in 9 games or something?) and then suddenly became rubbish when we signed him for nearly £1m I think which is/was a lot of money.

It is sad that he feels it necessary to publically slate Jones like that and makes me wonder what WAS said between the two?

The other thing that I noted from his Twitter account is the photo of him in the England U21 team that included:

Rio
    Gerrard
    Barry
    Heskey
    Lampard
    Dyer
    Carragher (I think)

I'd be bitter too......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Doesnt detract from the fact he was a lazy good for nothing "footballer"
    I remember him whining in the echo that he was being shut out. He got played and showed no interest what so ever.
    Campbell still cares enough about the club to mention us regularly, and without him we possibly wouldn't have gone up. Regardless of how he played he scored a vitally important goal for the club. Also, that might have been his playing style, and the fact he wasn't up to much.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Take it you never saw Don Murrey's non-effort

The balls still in orbit.
    Ahhh, wasn't at that game. It was a school night, and I was too young to be taken down the City

I did chat to Don about that infamous penalty about three years back, at a Cardiff City exhibition, and ex City player question and answer session, at the old library on the Hayes. Quite frankly, I think he is still embarrassed about it all these years later. A top bloke is Don

Nobody going to mention his small head?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm sure you're talking about the one in the 0-0 draw with Leeds in 2005. Campbell's career was in a steep decline by then and Dave Jones didn't arrive at City for another eight months or so - there may be another reason why he has such a low opinion of the surly scouser, but he's deluding himself if he thinks he was harshly treated by him.

That said, there's no way his Play Off Final goal was a mishit cross - it was probably as good a finish as he ever produced in a City shirt.
    I read all of the tweets last night from Campbell, he claims DJ said something "disgusting" to him that went "beyond football", and describes their relationship as "hate-hate". Campbell's loan spell (and that finish) were the bright sparks in his career, he just wasn't very good. Who knows what would have happened without his finish in the Play Off Final though, so he was worth his fee off the back of that alone.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4711992]I'm sure you're talking about the one in the 0-0 draw with Leeds in 2005. Campbell's career was in a steep decline by then and Dave Jones didn't arrive at City for another eight months or so - there may be another reason why he has such a low opinion of the surly scouser, but he's deluding himself if he thinks he was harshly treated by him.

Yes, that's the penalty I am on about (I think). Taken at the Canton End. Campbell's body language as he picked the ball up and readied himself to take it, spoke volumes to me. He looked and acted like he rather be anywhere else, and in any other position than having to take that penalty. To all intents and purposes it looked like he had lost all confidence in himself. I just new he was not going to score, and thus it proved, with such a damp squib of a kick. I've never seen a City player so NOT want to a penalty kick.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Yes it was against Leeds Bob, Cambell was very low on confidence at the time and when he stepped up to take it I think the whole crowd gasped and I think he sensed it. Must admit I felt sorry for him that day, he just never connected with the ball. As for Dave Jones, met him just the once when he was promoting his book in Southampton, lets just say he wasn't very communicative? lol. Done a good job with us but just couldn't take us over the line

A miss-hit cross? Who to? There was no one in front of him bar the goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    A miss-hit cross? Who to? There was no one in front of him bar the goalie.
    Yup, all our players were still in our own half.