+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OLD CARDIFF CINEMAS' ! Is your favorite here (The County)

Re: OLD CARDIFF CINEMAS' ! Is your favorite here (The County)

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Barry Boys eh! If you could get past the manager of the Theatre Royal you knew you could get past anyone.

Mr Williams.

Got my first sticky fingers in the Monico , still remember the whiff , pilchards and piss .

Memories came flooding back of the Saturday morning kids matinee, cheers Genie. Seems a lifetime ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Got my first sticky fingers in the Monico , still remember the whiff , pilchards and piss .
    Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    Memories came flooding back of the Saturday morning kids matinee
    Whoops!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I used to go to the Saturday morning kids matinee in Splott Cinema at the top of Pearl Street when I was still in junior school. It was 6d (old pence) down the front of the cinema and 9d at the back.

Same here.

Don't miss next weeks thrilling instalment of (just fill in the blanks

Yes for us Llanrumney boys it was heaven saw Clockwork Orange there ,went home over the wreck "singing in the rain " boot, down past the top shops and Countsabury Avenue and home, nostalgia just kicked in .

Remember my old man taking me to the Plaza to watch the first ever Rocky film.
    The Regent in Ely holds some great memories as well. Remember seeing the Italian Job, and 10,000 yrs BC in there. The place erupted when Raquel Welsh got her tits out!
    Saturday mornings were the best though. Me and my younger sister used to go every week with our little bags of sweets, to watch the cartoons and Flash Gordon.
    Now I've been to many football matches and music gigs, where it's been so crowded it's been a bit scary, but nothing has ever compared to leaving the Regent on a Saturday morning. As soon as the final curtain came down, there would be a stampede for the doors, and down the famous steps, where you would literally take your life in your own hands if you were to trip up. Lol!
    On a side note. Me and my sister used to rush home to tell my dad all about the latest episode of Flash Gordon, but he always mysteriously knew what had happened before we could tell him.
    Wasn't till yrs later, he told me that his mate used to be the projectioinist there and he used to call over for a quick cuppa with him every Saturday morning 😂

Plaza

And the Rialto.

The Gaiety. And what was the one on the junction of Wellfield Road and Albany Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The Gaiety. And what was the one on the junction of Wellfield Road and Albany Road.
    Globe, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Globe, I think.
    Aye, The Globe, cheapest cinema in Cardiff. Me and my brother were watching a film in there when a rat ran across our feet. There used to be an old rowing boat and piles of rubbish under the screen, the place was a health hazard but I loved going there.

I think the least known of the cinemas mentioned was the Rialto in Old Church Road Whitchurch. My favourite cinema of all was the Gaumont which later became the Top Rank. Has the Odeon in Queen St survived the ravages of redevelopment? As my visits to Cardiff don't go beyond the CCS I haven't a clue what does and doesn't exist in the City Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think the least known of the cinemas mentioned was the Rialto in Old Church Road Whitchurch. My favourite cinema of all was the Gaumont which later became the Top Rank. Has the Odeon in Queen St survived the ravages of redevelopment? As my visits to Cardiff don't go beyond the CCS I haven't a clue what does and doesn't exist in the City Centre.
    My first visit to the cinema was the Rialto. It was a bit of a flea pit. If I recall correctly it was a single storey building so there wasn't an upstairs. It was off Old Church Rd so if you didn't know it was there you would miss it. I recall it had a small advertising hoarding on a low wall that was between the Royal Oak pub and Boots next door. When I was young I remember a poster for a film called "Doctor Blood's Coffin" on the hoarding which my mother point blank refused to take me to. Happy days

Another compilation of closed Cardiff cinemas :

I bet nobody remember the Clifton?!

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/...?status=closed

If you will excuse me broadening the thread to include Newport, this was my first cinema experience - my mum took me to see Bambi.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...ears/#gallery0

Yes mine was the County, I know you've been there too Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Another compilation of closed Cardiff cinemas :

I bet nobody remember the Clifton?!

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/...?status=closed
    Really surprised at that one. I went to St German's School just around the corner and lived off Clifton Street but never knew there was was a cinema there previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    It was, indeed, the County Cinema. I recall it very fondly having begun going there for Saturday morning matinees in the late 1950's. A few years later the County was THE meeting place in the area for Rumney / Llanrumney teenagers and it's where I met my first wife. At the time, there was little else to do or find entertainment if you were just too young for the pub. Few on a Saturday evening went to see the film - the object was to walk around in the dark trying to find a female willing to agree to your sitting next to her, begin a conversation and take it where you could.

It would get pretty steamy on occasions and the then manageress - one Doris Stoodley - would be prowling around ready shine her torch on and if necessary eject, any couple seen to be taking things too far. Anyone else old enough to remember Doris? As I say, very happy days with no worries bar where and with who the next encounter would arise.

I imagine all the suburban Cardiff cinemas at the time would have been the same?
    I can remember her and her torch

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Always smelt damp to me. Mr Bull used to own it