+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting stat regarding David Marshall's time at Hull

Interesting stat regarding David Marshall's time at Hull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38684434

Opta allegedly have a database of quarter of a million shots which, supposedly, can predict whether a goal should be scored or not. According to this database, Marshall should have conceded 26 goals there, yet conceded 37. In other words, he conceded 11 more than he was expected to - the worst of any PL keeper who has faced more than 100 shots.

Re: Interesting stat regarding David Marshall's time at Hull

Shit defence, not keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38684434

Opta allegedly have a database of quarter of a million shots which, supposedly, can predict whether a goal should be scored or not. According to this database, Marshall should have conceded 26 goals there, yet conceded 37. In other words, he conceded 11 more than he was expected to - the worst of any PL keeper who has faced more than 100 shots.

Scotland's Scotland's number ????

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Shit defence, not keeper.
    This takes that into account (by all account). It's about shots he would be expected to save, but didn't.

I like that set of stats, Tom Heaton the best keeper in the Premiership, David Marshall the worst.

Thought Tom was the better keeper whilst he was here and still think it. Top keeper, top bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I like that set of stats, Tom Heaton the best keeper in the Premiership, David Marshall the worst.

Thought Tom was the better keeper whilst he was here and still think it. Top keeper, top bloke.
    I remember his performance at Arsenal in the FA cup where we could have conceded 10. From what I call he wasn't first choice at the time.

I remember his performance at Arsenal in the FA cup where we could have conceded 10. From what I call he wasn't first choice at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post

no comment

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    no comment
    Lost for words

Can't say I'm signed up to the David Marshall love-in. A good 'keeper for us for many years, but in his last two seasons I didn't think he was that great. Frequently beaten from outside the box, and prone to a few gaffes...

Best keeper in the Championship without doubt
    If we have any real ambition next year Tan needs to pull out all the stops to get him back here

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Best keeper in the Championship without doubt
    If we have any real ambition next year Tan needs to pull out all the stops to get him back here
    And looking at your previous posts probably give Whittingham a 5-year contract........?

Not really, Whitts is class and has been a great servant and still has lots to offer, but age will catch up with him as it does with us all
    I'd certainly give him a years contract at see where we go from there, maybe then look to offer a contract that has involvement with training/coaching the youngsters

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Can't say I'm signed up to the David Marshall love-in. A good 'keeper for us for many years, but in his last two seasons I didn't think he was that great. Frequently beaten from outside the box, and prone to a few gaffes...
    He's been a keeper that, for all his fantastic saves, has moments when you think "he should have saved that".

Apart from the sending off what were the marshall gaffs ?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Orlandi's corner in the derby for one. His handling of crosses was never his strength.

Orlandi's corner in the derby for one. His handling of crosses was never his strength.
    I think the fact that you can only pinpoint a few occasions where Marshall made a mistake over approximately 7 years that he was with us demonstrates what a fantastic Keeper he has been
    In all my years following the City I can't think of a better keeper that I have seen week in week out

My top 5 would be

Marshall
    Heaton
    Healy
    Dibble
    Alexander

in that order

I think the fact that you can only pinpoint a few occasions where Marshall made a mistake over approximately 7 years that he was with us demonstrates what a fantastic Keeper he has been
    In all my years following the City I can't think of a better keeper that I have seen week in week out

My top 5 would be

Marshall
    Heaton
    Healy
    Dibble
    Alexander

in that order
    No John hallworth?

He'd be in my top ten along with Bill Irwin
    But out of all the keepers I've seen in 46 years of following the City Marshall was my first choice and the best, but obviously others will differ

But out of all the keepers I've seen in 46 years of following the City Marshall was my first choice and the best, but obviously others will differ
    you forgot Frank Parsons

Agreed - best keeper I've seen at the club and I think the fact that there's only been one goal mentioned when the question was asked about what naming bad ones he let in while he was here was very telling. Regarding that Swansea match when Orlandi scored, Marshall also made a brilliant save late on to ensure we got the three points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9YVAsXoAI

The worst howler I can remember from Marshall's came five years ago to this very day when he dropped an innocuous cross and Futacs of Portsmouth scored - it sticks in my mind because there were so few errors which cost goals from him.

That's why I question those stats - Marshall's record at Hull is dreadful in terms of the number of goals he's conceded, but there's absolutely no way that he's been at fault with getting on for a third of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Last season especially. As another posters commented, there have been a fair few times when shots from outside the box had beaten him. Bearing in mind, along with thousands of others, I've been watching his performances for the best part of 7 years. I've grown used to 'expecting' him to make those saves.

I'm not saying he became a poor keeper, just that he wasn't putting in the faultless performances we used to see..