+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If you want to challenge get me the players to have a go

If you want to challenge get me the players to have a go

Warnock wants backing from Tan to go for promotion next season

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has challenged owner Vincent Tan to fund a promotion bid in 2017-18.

The Bluebirds boss is keen for a record eighth career promotion and wants to use the rest of the season to convince Tan to give him financial backing.

Cardiff are 18th in the table and 20 points adrift of the 50 Warnock believes will guarantee survival. 

"I said to Vincent we need three or four quality players, if you want to challenge that is," he said.

"If you don't want to challenge, obviously you can get somebody else in and you can go with what you want to go with. It's one of those things."

Warnock met Tan for the first time in his reign following the win at Bristol City.

He said: "I have to show Vincent I am the one he should support to have a go [for promotion].

"That is what my job is between now and the end of the season to try and convince him he will not have a better chance. Then it is up to him and the board to decide."

He added: "It was not about definitive answers it was about having a chat really about the way he felt about the club. 

"I would not want to be anywhere and pick my money up if I have not got a chance of promotion, not at my age now. 

"About 20 years ago I probably would have loved to have been anywhere for two or three years. But not now.

"I want to have a go next year and Vincent knows that. 

"We have had a friendly chat. I am not going to throw money away now in January when I think it would be silly to get people in place now when you might not want to put them in place in the summer."

Scotland goalkeeper Alan McGregor, signed on loan from Hull City, will make his debut as Cardiff take on visitors Burton Albion on Saturday, a club Warnock managed in the early 1980s.

Cardiff are still keen on Aberdeen winger Jonny Hayes while Warnock said former England striker Ricky Lambert would not go out on loan and Rhys Healey, recently returned from a loan at Newport County, would also be staying at Cardiff.

BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38688105

Last edited by Michael Morris; 20-01-17 at 14:36.

Re: If you want to challenge get me the players to have a go

Warnock making total sense as usual. I think he'll keep us in the Championship this season and I hope Tan is able to back him in the summer.

I agree that our Neil talks sense. But, he's such a bullshitter and has been for years that it's impossible to know whether anything he says is sincere or not.

I agree with a lot of that, and hopefully he can gain enough confidence from tan to push the boat out a bit more, but realistically how much can we spend without falling foul of ffp?
    Clubs have been spending £20 m plus and still coming up short, 4-5 players might give us a possibility of promotion but it will still be an outside chance.

Banned

Warnock came to the club with the reputation of turning any club/players into world beaters without shelling out a shed load of cash.

Looks like another manager who wants to spend Tan's millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnock came to the club with the reputation of turning any club/players into world beaters without shelling out a shed load of cash.

Are you intentionally trying to be a wind up merchant or not?

No manager alive could turn our players into world beaters. That's been evident for a number of seasons where there have been failings on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I agree that our Neil talks sense. But, he's such a bullshitter and has been for years that it's impossible to know whether anything he says is sincere or not.
    He says what people want to hear. With a hint of honesty.

It'll be interesting to see how this one develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how this one develops.

There will Definitely be a promotion push next season. Trouble is it may be from
    League 1.

I think we can challenge for the play-offs next year with Warnock in charge and Tan loosening up the purse strings a little. However, if it's going to be like DJ's last season where one attempt at promotion without building for the season next we're going to be repeating mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post

How you choose to interpret things does give an interesting insight into how your mind works.

Warnock has only stated the obvious.Trouble is the anti Tan crew will jump on this and blow it up.None of us know what Tan is thinking he may pay us back for all the insults or even sell out to a rich buyer(chinese possibly).The fact he has not been seen at the club for such a longtime concerns me.

"We have had a friendly chat. I am not going to throw money away now in January when I think it would be silly to get people in place now when you might not want to put them in place in the summer."

Would someone explain the logic behind this? Warnock must have identified the positions he wanted to strengthen - why not bring one or two in now if they are available?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Would someone explain the logic behind this? Warnock must have identified the positions he wanted to strengthen - why not bring one or two in now if they are available?
    Maybe he is hoping to put together a Warnock squad for next season, and the individuals he has his eye on are not available now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

If Tan wants a push for promotion then Warnock will put in place suitable players he'd want for next year. If Tan won't back Warnock this summer then Warnock will do a holding job to keep us up and then leave at the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    How you choose to interpret things does give an interesting insight into how your mind works.
    Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Maybe he is hoping to put together a Warnock squad for next season, and the individuals he has his eye on are not available now?

It should make for an interesting summer (for once). Warnock has stated his desire to create the record for most promotions and sees us as a vehicle for that. Being stuck with a mid table side is hardly going to interest him at his age.

If he's still in place in August then I'm expecting a decent season. If he isn't, then the club will have sent out an even more definite message to its fans.