+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Warnock: Cardiff City boss seeks Vincent Tan funding for promotion bid

Blue in the Face

Neil Warnock: Cardiff City boss seeks Vincent Tan funding for promotion bid

Cause for concern on our Neil? Is he putting himself in the shop window? Is there anything the board can actually do (FFP) to give the manager the War chest he wants?

BBC article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38688105

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock has hinted he does not want to stay at the club next season unless his summer transfer plans are matched by owner Vincent Tan.

Warnock is keen for an eighth career promotion and hopes to convince Tan to give him funds in the summer.

The Bluebirds are 18th in the Championship and 20 points off the 50 Warnock says will guarantee survival.

"I said to Vincent we need three or four quality players, if you want to challenge that is," he said.

"If you don't want to challenge, obviously you can get somebody else in and you can go with what you want to go with. It's one of those things."

Warnock met Tan for the first time in his reign following the win at Bristol City.

He said: "I have to show Vincent I am the one he should support to have a go [for promotion].

"That is what my job is between now and the end of the season to try and convince him he will not have a better chance. Then it is up to him and the board to decide."

He added: "It was not about definitive answers it was about having a chat really about the way he felt about the club.

"I would not want to be anywhere and pick my money up if I have not got a chance of promotion, not at my age now.

"About 20 years ago I probably would have loved to have been anywhere for two or three years. But not now.

"I want to have a go next year and Vincent knows that.

"We have had a friendly chat. I am not going to throw money away now in January when I think it would be silly to get people in place now when you might not want to put them in place in the summer."

Scotland goalkeeper Alan McGregor, signed on loan from Hull City, will make his debut as Cardiff take on visitors Burton Albion on Saturday, a club Warnock managed in the early 1980s.

Cardiff are still keen on Aberdeen winger Jonny Hayes while Warnock said former England striker Ricky Lambert would not go out on loan and Rhys Healey, recently returned from a loan at Newport County, would also be staying at Cardiff.

"Basically, show me the money or fook off"

Re: Neil Warnock: Cardiff City boss seeks Vincent Tan funding for promotion bid

In the shop window?

You think he's looking for another job? I think he wants this to be his last job and he wants to succeed at it.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    In the shop window?

You think he's looking for another job? I think he wants this to be his last job and he wants to succeed at it.
    I really have no idea, which is a little strange given that you're not likely to find a more "speak your mind" manager than our Neil. I'm just responding to the interview.

If economics is a deciding factor as NW alludes to in the interview, then perhaps he might not stay on as long as most would like him to? I don't know the finances that well, but I'm under the impression than Vinny has always spent up to the limits for which he is allowed to. I don't see where the extra money will come from in order for us to spend like other Championship clubs have over the past few years.

Warnock knows his stuff i reckon he's said to Tan something like i need a player or two in this window that won't break the bank but will help us to a safe position. But we will need four or five in the summer for a crack at promotion.
    Tan probably agreed and him and Warnock have arranged to meet at the end of the season..
    Warnock is not going to come from the Tan meeting blabbing that Tan has agreed to splash the cash in the summer.

We were only going in one direction when Trollope was here and that was down! Since Neil Warnock took charge i think he's worked wonders just to get the squad where they are today. I would be very surprised if Vincent Tann didn't support him next year. Would be a sad day for this club if he dicided to quit because of lack of ambition..

I don't think he'll be here that long. i think he thought that with Tan as a benefactor he couldn't spend and build a decent team. So far he's brought in Bamba and Hoilett who are both OK, and this window , another goalkeeper and Greg Halford. I don't think Tan will let him spend anything until the wage bill goes down further, which will mean unload Manga and one or two others. So we may have to wait until the summer. for anything to develop.

We currently are relying on Zohore, Harris and Healey. who months ago wouldn't have got a look in, but are doing well and we've one three on the trot in the League!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Cause for concern on our Neil? Is he putting himself in the shop window? Is there anything the board can actually do (FFP) to give the manager the War chest he wants?
    I think it's simply a case that, at his age, with his experience, he's not going to be interested in being manager of a team that has no ambition and is happy with a safe (ish) mid table finish.

When he came to the club he talked of winning his 9th promotion, where the longer term aims were bound to have been discussed beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if a few assurances were made to guarantee his appointment, hence his bullish talk of winning promotion again.

Why Warnock has gone public with this is, perhaps, an issue. Is he finding funds more difficult to come by than he first anticipated? By going public he puts the club in a position - if they don't back him, he'll be off and the fans will know that the club haven't been interested in making a promotion push. Hardly good for season ticket sales and creating a buzz around the club.

On the other side is that, should Tan back Warnock and it goes wrong, the club are left to foot the bill, Warnock can claim he needed more time and leaves relatively unscathed.

It's all tactics.

On the basis of what we've seen from Warnock so far, I am confident that if he is given the money to spend we will be challengers next season.

But that's a big 'if'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think it's simply a case that, at his age, with his experience, he's not going to be interested in being manager of a team that has no ambition and is happy with a safe (ish) mid table finish.

When he came to the club he talked of winning his 9th promotion, where the longer term aims were bound to have been discussed beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if a few assurances were made to guarantee his appointment, hence his bullish talk of winning promotion again.

Why Warnock has gone public with this is, perhaps, an issue. Is he finding funds more difficult to come by than he first anticipated? By going public he puts the club in a position - if they don't back him, he'll be off and the fans will know that the club haven't been interested in making a promotion push. Hardly good for season ticket sales and creating a buzz around the club.

On the other side is that, should Tan back Warnock and it goes wrong, the club are left to foot the bill, Warnock can claim he needed more time and leaves relatively unscathed.

It's all tactics.
    As i said earlier i believe Warnock knows Tan will support him in the summer but is hardly going to say that is he? Warnock is a shrewd operator when it comes to signing players so wouldn't come out saying Tan will back him to bring in the players he wants thus making his targets possibly go up in price

BBC article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38688105

Cardiff are still keen on Aberdeen winger Jonny Hayes while Warnock said former England striker Ricky Lambert would not go out on loan and Rhys Healey, recently returned from a loan at Newport County, would also be staying at Cardiff.

"Basically, show me the money or fook off"
    Blimey, that last line is typical of our straight-talking Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    As i said earlier i believe Warnock knows Tan will support him in the summer but is hardly going to say that is he? Warnock is a shrewd operator when it comes to signing players so wouldn't come out saying Tan will back him to bring in the players he wants thus making his targets possibly go up in price
    But simply staying on will mean the board are backing him, so when it comes to the time to sign players teams will know we've got a few quid just by Warnock being in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

It's all tactics.
    I agree with you.

If you were to ask me were Warnock's words those of a man who was given assurances that the money would be there for him this summer to put together a squad which, given his record in this division, would be likely promotion challengers in 17/18 or were they the words of someone who was not given the assurances he wanted and expected, my answer would be the latter.

Warnock is bluffing. Only at the end of last season he made it clear that he wanted to remain at Roherham. With respect to that club they will never mount a promotion challenge to the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with you.

If you were to ask me were Warnock's words those of a man who was given assurances that the money would be there for him this summer to put together a squad which, given his record in this division, would be likely promotion challengers in 17/18 or were they the words of someone who was not given the assurances he wanted and expected, my answer would be the latter.
    If so, I'd bet VT is not a man likely to respond well to being railroaded either.
    Let's hope for a positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    If so, I'd bet VT is not a man likely to respond well to being railroaded either.
    Let's hope for a positive outcome.
    The last time a manager did something that Tan didn't like, we all know the outcome (Malky). However, Warnock has nothing to prove to anyone so is in the 'couldn't give a shit who I upset' category. We shall see.

Blue in the Face

Floating an amatuerish theory here - Given that the FFP financial calculations factor in three years of accounts, is it possible to concentrate spending into one particular season and go for broke in regard to promotion? Is Warnock angling for next season to be similar from the board's perspective on spending to Malky's promotion year? With the idea that if he fails to deliver then austerity follows for the following two seasons to make up for it.

Floating an amatuerish theory here - Given that the FFP financial calculations factor in three years of accounts, is it possible to concentrate spending into one particular season and go for broke in regard to promotion? Is Warnock angling for next season to be similar from the board's perspective on spending to Malky's promotion year? With the idea that if he fails to deliver then austerity follows for the following two seasons to make up for it.
    Derby seem to be able to get away with flouting the FFP regs