Re: All our corners and free kicks were poor yesterday. Send for:------

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Whitts plz
    🙄

Whitts plz
    Agree with this.
    Thought he might have brought him on 3rd sub yesterday, though as it turned out, just as well he didn't.

Something definitely lacking in yesterday's performance and it wasn't simply down to the poor refereeing.

Whitts is obviously being saved for the Seagulls match.

I thought yesterday would have been the perfect game for whitts, was not very physical, plenty of time on the ball and we were desperate for his set pieces

What we're seeing at the moment is safety first taken to extremes. Morrison has always been poor in his distribution from defence but sunk to a new low yesterday. However, he's doing what Warnock wants which is getting the ball away from our danger area.

In a game like yesterday we should have had the confidence to play a little more football but almost every pass that tried to get someone free in attack was overhit or cut out. This is what Whitts brings to the game to make up for his lack of mobility.

I agree with wanting someone more mobile than Whitts in midfield provided they also bring some quality in their passing. I am sadly coming to the conclusion that Ralls does not have this in his game - and we know Gunnarsson doesn't.

This means we end up with two midfield players who can harry (Ralls is also too lightweight here) but not create. So we're dependent on our wingers to make the breaks happen and Harris just doesn't seem to know how to beat a man in open play on a regular basis. Hoilett has a bit more to his game but can be anonymous too often. Pilkington also seems lost at the moment - leaving Zohore or whoever to try and make things happen out of nothing.

Out insistence on playing the high ball to Zohore (Ben had him in his pocket all game) and Hoilett was frustrating when it was clear it wasn't working.

I still think our best team at present involves Whitts - and I'd play him as a 10 where his ability to hit a tiny area can be harnessed to his ability to hit a shot. It would also mean he did not need to do as much work in midfield.

It will be interesting to see what team we put out on Tuesday. I think the only change will be Pilkington dropped for a different number 10

We've failed to score in 6 of the 12 home games that Whitts has started this season (he missed the Villa and Burton games).

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    We've failed to score in 6 of the 12 home games that Whitts has started this season (he missed the Villa and Burton games).
    Not sure what that has to do with Whitts if he's not being asked to play further forward? Says more about our strikers I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with Whitts if he's not being asked to play further forward? Says more about our strikers I think.
    I expect there will be a few changes to Saturdays starting line up, Bennett at LB if fit and Peltier at RB
    Gunner and O'keefe as CM with Harris and Kennedy on the flanks leaving Whitts to have a free role behind Zohore is what I'd go with, there again Neils lost one in the last eight (F******G Lambert) so who knows

One things for sure I wouldn't have fancied our chances against Brighton without Warnock, their flying and massive favourites to win, just the sort of game he'll relish!

Agree with Penarth Blues about Morrison he needs to be dropped and Connolly cant play full back. lets go back to the Villa game with Bamba sitting in front of the back 4 with Connolly and Manga centre backs, Pettier at RB and Bennett/Halford at LB. Gunnerson and Witts CM leaving Zohore, Hoilett and Harris up front. Not sure if Pilks fit after saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Agree with Penarth Blues about Morrison he needs to be dropped and Connolly cant play full back. lets go back to the Villa game with Bamba sitting in front of the back 4 with Connolly and Manga centre backs, Pettier at RB and Bennett/Halford at LB. Gunnerson and Witts CM leaving Zohore, Hoilett and Harris up front. Not sure if Pilks fit after saturday.
    Manga's not back yet. No news on Pilks but I think he'll be on the bench at best

if Manga not back then Pettier in the middle and Halford at Right Back!!!! Dont rate Richards after Fulham game

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Just a stat. More a response to the OP and this article

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk...field-maestro/.

It's hard to argue with your suggestion because it's hypothetical until it happens. It would be interesting to see if Whitts could link up with our pacy forwards from a more advanced position. He never seems to want to get forward these days though, even when the opportunity is there, and if he's just going to drift back into centre-mid then it could leave Zohore & the wide men even more isolated but we won't know until it happens.

I agree with your safety-first assessment of Saturday, even though we got the result in the end. Personally, I'm ok with two combative central-midfielders if that's allowing the full backs to push on and maybe a ball-playing centre-back to spray some passes and jump into midfield now and again but we don't seem any closer to that kind of thing than we were under Slade for now. Warnock does seem more willing to experiment though, hopefully we'll see some new ideas next time we come up against a resilient team like Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Just a stat. More a response to the OP and this article

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk...field-maestro/.

It's hard to argue with your suggestion because it's hypothetical until it happens. It would be interesting to see if Whitts could link up with our pacy forwards from a more advanced position. He never seems to want to get forward these days though, even when the opportunity is there, and if he's just going to drift back into centre-mid then it could leave Zohore & the wide men even more isolated but we won't know until it happens.

I agree with your safety-first assessment of Saturday, even though we got the result in the end. Personally, I'm ok with two combative central-midfielders if that's allowing the full backs to push on and maybe a ball-playing centre-back to spray some passes and jump into midfield now and again but we don't seem any closer to that kind of thing than we were under Slade for now. Warnock does seem more willing to experiment though, hopefully we'll see some new ideas next time we come up against a resilient team like Burton.
    Our problem is that we haven't got that many good footballers in the squad. Plenty of graft and team spirit, but not much guile or craft. It's been like that for a number of years.

Over the last decade or so, the number of playmakers or passing midfielders that we've brought in can be counted on a lobster claw. Trollope tried to turn us into a passing side but didn't have the players to do it, or work for the system he wanted. Solskjaer tried but failed.

Whitts plz
    Absolutely. Missed his quality crosses, corners & free kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    Absolutely. Missed his quality crosses, corners & free kicks.
    Yes we have,for some years now