Thread: Reminiscing

Reminiscing

The good old days.
    How I miss them ......

hqdefault.jpg

Re: Reminiscing

"... doot dooooooo doot dooooo ..."

I have never quite understood the past their use by date politician international speech circuit, what twat pays 50k to listen to Osborne or Blair?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I have never quite understood the past their use by date politician international speech circuit, what twat pays 50k to listen to Osborne or Blair?
    Croesy?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Did the Tories put in more money than the previous Govt into the NHS ? , I was under the impression that both the Tories and the Lib Dems pledged to give the NHS an extra 8 billion a year up to 2020. And also that the NHS budget in England has been ring fenced where as in Wales it has been cut.

I understand though that there are services (both in England and Wales) that have been affected and that those services feed into the NHS.

I think we expect the NHS to do too much either that or it is so badly managed it is unworkable.

The NHS employs 1.5 million people - the joint 4th largest employer in the world. US Army, Chinese Army, Indian State Railway are 1,2 &3 - the NHS and Walmart are the 4th.

So with 1.5 million employees and a 60 odd million population - if there are problems then it is either to do with bad management and process or we are expecting too much. How do other countries manage then ?
    I think you need to apply some context to the numbers. How many people are employed in the healthcare industry in other similar countries. I think the simple answer is that we pay too little or expect too much.

I think you need to apply some context to the numbers. How many people are employed in the healthcare industry in other similar countries. I think the simple answer is that we pay too little or expect too much.
    Pay too little, most western countries spend 25-30% more per capita on healthcare, and some 200 or 300% more.
    Imagine the difference you could make if there were 25% more nurses and doctors?
    The NHS actually does comparably with some better funded systems, if it was funded properly I have no doubt it would be world beating.

The trick is to pay people after they have left office, as it would look a bit suspect if they were getting loads of cash thrown at them while still in the job

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Pay too little, most western countries spend 25-30% more per capita on healthcare, and some 200 or 300% more.
    Imagine the difference you could make if there were 25% more nurses and doctors?
    The NHS actually does comparably with some better funded systems, if it was funded properly I have no doubt it would be world beating.
    I had a little look at the German system. From my crappy calculations it seemed like someone earning ~50k would pay double in Germany towards healthcare.