+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Two years later, a City mystery man is identified!

Two years later, a City mystery man is identified!

I doubt it if anyone can remember this now, but two years ago I posted a blog story which I put on here as well asking for help in identifying some City players from a picture of the 75/76 promotion winning squad who I couldn't identify. After much toing and froing, those who replied to me and I thought we had cracked it, but it appears we hadn't because this afternoon David Harries has got in touch and provided two photos which shows that the player concerned was someone with a name that I remember vaguely, but would never have been able to identify in a month of Sundays.

Here's a link to the, updated, piece and if anyone fancies trying to identify all of the players in the two photos David provided, I'm going to pass thanks!

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/can-anyone-help/

Thanks once again David if you get to read this.

Re: Two years later, a City mystery man is identified!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I doubt it if anyone can remember this now, but two years ago I posted a blog story which I put on here as well asking for help in identifying some City players from a picture of the 75/76 promotion winning squad who I couldn't identify. After much toing and froing, those who replied to me and I thought we had cracked it, but it appears we hadn't because this afternoon David Harries has got in touch and provided two photos which shows that the player concerned was someone with a name that I remember vaguely, but would never have been able to identify in a month of Sundays.

Here's a link to the, updated, piece and if anyone fancies trying to identify all of the players in the two photos David provided, I'm going to pass thanks!

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/can-anyone-help/

Thanks once again David if you get to read this.
    Cheers Paul. I will take a look when I get back from game tonight. I think it was me that initially asked for your advice on the photo. Fingers x for at least a point tonight mate.
    Spedger

Gerry Byrne is next to Sayer.

If you're talking about the player one from the left in the front row, that's Gilbert Reece a local Grangetown boy made good. Gilbert and several brothers began with C&D Grange side, St Pats who I also played for for many years. Gilbert went to Newport County and was performing well as a winger when I joined County's Welsh League side for a couple of seasons 1964/5/6. Gilbert of course was sold to Sheffield United for good money and also became a Welsh International gaining a good number of caps in the ensuing years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    If you're talking about the player one from the left in the front row, that's Gilbert Reece a local Grangetown boy made good. Gilbert and several brothers began with C&D Grange side, St Pats who I also played for for many years. Gilbert went to Newport County and was performing well as a winger when I joined County's Welsh League side for a couple of seasons 1964/5/6. Gilbert of course was sold to Sheffield United for good money and also became a Welsh International gaining a good number of caps in the ensuing years.
    Sorry mate, I was talking about the Oct 1975 picture, where Gerry is far left in the front.

I also played a few times with Robert, Peter and Giil for the Pats when I was a youngster!, and with Gerry later at The Quins.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Sorry mate, I was talking about the Oct 1975 picture, where Gerry is far left in the front.

I also played a few times with Robert, Peter and Giil for the Pats when I was a youngster!, and with Gerry later at The Quins.
    Wow! We must know each other, then! I'm Glen Williams, a Llanrumney boy who somehow became involved with St Pats at the age of 15 (1961) and played right through until my early 30's when I went off with some other mates to play with Taffs Well in the SW Amateur League. As I mentioned, I also missed a few years with the Pats whilst with County where I played two full seasons without getting near a first team place (no subs in those days, mind).

I must have 50 or so trophies (little silver things) from playing with St Pats over those years as the club was so successful winning C&D Prem League every year plus a multitude of Cardiff parks and S Wales cup competitions. Biggest rivals through those years were St Mary's (Canton), St Albans, EOE and Quins in later years. The lads in those St Pats years included in addition to the Reece brothers, (excuse anyone not mentioned) Steve and Stan the Canning, Mike Fitzgerald, Bobby Williams, Ken Skinner, Mike Murphy, Alan Smith, Gerard Howells, Bobby Day and more whose names escape me now. Great days and wonderful memories.

Did you play with or probably against me during that time?

I Thnk if was me who originally suggested Tony Villars in the front row of the first picture next to Giles, although he does look bigger than I remember. I think I also suggested Martin Morgan as he played once for City, in a Welsh Cup tie against Sully in January (I think) 1976. I do however remember the name of Steve Wilson who was hotly tipped to make the first team but never did.

I just checked my Rothmans annuals and Martin Morgan from Neath is listed as a player for City for the 75/6 season, Steve Wilson doesn't feature until the 77/8 edition so it's probably not him. Having said that I just checked the programmes for the season and the reserves reports refer to Steve Wilson, Gary Harris and Mark Chorley playing in the South Wales and Wessex League, but they must have been very young at the time. Gerry Byrne, Leighton Williams, Phil Leach, Paul Millar and host of others are all named but would probably be too young.

I saw Morgan play in that game v Sully too.

The last photo is 71/2 as it's got Roger Hoy and Ken Jons in it. But Pontin is there too I think?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I Thnk if was me who originally suggested Tony Villars in the front row of the first picture next to Giles, although he does look bigger than I remember. I think I also suggested Martin Morgan as he played once for City, in a Welsh Cup tie against Sully in January (I think) 1976. I do however remember the name of Steve Wilson who was hotly tipped to make the first team but never did.

I just checked my Rothmans annuals and Martin Morgan from Neath is listed as a player for City for the 75/6 season, Steve Wilson doesn't feature until the 77/8 edition so it's probably not him. Having said that I just checked the programmes for the season and the reserves reports refer to Steve Wilson, Gary Harris and Mark Chorley playing in the South Wales and Wessex League, but they must have been very young at the time. Gerry Byrne, Leighton Williams, Phil Leach, Paul Millar and host of others are all named but would probably be too young.

I saw Morgan play in that game v Sully too.
    Worked with Stevie Wilson (wally),he came on as a sub against Birmingham, Jerry Francis and all in a friendly.

Gil Reece is sitting in between Tony Evans and Jimmy Andrews.
    One from the left in the front row is Peter Sayer.

Can't help sorry, but thanks for that, my favourite squad ever, just edging '93,as it was my first, as a young 9 year old. I wrote into Roy of the Rovers for a pic of Tony Evans, they never did it for me. Bastards lol.

Wow! We must know each other, then! I'm Glen Williams, a Llanrumney boy who somehow became involved with St Pats at the age of 15 (1961) and played right through until my early 30's when I went off with some other mates to play with Taffs Well in the SW Amateur League. As I mentioned, I also missed a few years with the Pats whilst with County where I played two full seasons without getting near a first team place (no subs in those days, mind).

I must have 50 or so trophies (little silver things) from playing with St Pats over those years as the club was so successful winning C&D Prem League every year plus a multitude of Cardiff parks and S Wales cup competitions. Biggest rivals through those years were St Mary's (Canton), St Albans, EOE and Quins in later years. The lads in those St Pats years included in addition to the Reece brothers, (excuse anyone not mentioned) Steve and Stan the Canning, Mike Fitzgerald, Bobby Williams, Ken Skinner, Mike Murphy, Alan Smith, Gerard Howells, Bobby Day and more whose names escape me now. Great days and wonderful memories.

Did you play with or probably against me during that time?
    Sorry, I just read this!

Looking at the dates it seems I must have played after you had finished, and I wouldn't have played with you. But I also remember Fitto, Mike Murphy, and Kenny Skinner(!) The latter being one of the nicest guys off the pitch, but once he put a kit on!! I played in the 2nd team with most of them, and played baseball too.

The Cardiff and District league was a very high standard then, with the 3 Grangetown Clubs, Bridgend Street, Doyle Albion (Ely), all very strong.