+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just got back.......

Just got back.......

We played for a draw and nearly got it.

Everything about the way that we set up and played indicated that this was a game that Colin reckoned that we might get a draw from or even nick a win from a set piece, and at HT the plan was working with some superb defending, and City having created the best two chances despite Brighton having all the possession.

The pattern continued after the break with City clearly slowing the game down and intent on frustrating Brighton, until the goal arrived from a neat turn and powerful shot. I thought that MacGregor could have done better but made up for it a few mins later with a good low stop at his near post.

Colin almost immediately changed formation and tactics and City looked threatening and I was left thinking what might have been had we approached the game in a more positive way.

That said Brighton are a good footballing side, playing the ball on the floor and from what I saw would be worthy of promotion.

The last point to make is that the travel arrangements to and from the ground continue to be a joke whether you drive and/or use the train from Lewes. If they DO go up they will have to get it sorted out as it is an utter shambles. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Re: Just got back.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    We played for a draw and nearly got it.

Everything about the way that we set up and played indicated that this was a game that Colin reckoned that we might get a draw from or even nick a win from a set piece, and at HT the plan was working with some superb defending, and City having created the best two chances despite Brighton having all the possession.

The pattern continued after the break with City clearly slowing the game down and intent on frustrating Brighton, until the goal arrived from a neat turn and powerful shot. I thought that MacGregor could have done better but made up for it a few mins later with a good low stop at his near post.

Colin almost immediately changed formation and tactics and City looked threatening and I was left thinking what might have been had we approached the game in a more positive way.

That said Brighton are a good footballing side, playing the ball on the floor and from what I saw would be worthy of promotion.

The last point to make is that the travel arrangements to and from the ground continue to be a joke whether you drive and/or use the train from Lewes. If they DO go up they will have to get it sorted out as it is an utter shambles. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Sorry, I meant to add that Zohore was rubbish in an albeit thankless role. He looks like the next in a series of hopeless Cardiff City strikers (see Gary Stevens, Derek Showers, Ronnie Moore, Corny). SURELY Lambert is a better bet even for 60 mins?!

Sorry, I meant to add that Zohore was rubbish in an albeit thankless role. He looks like the next in a series of hopeless Cardiff City strikers (see Gary Stevens, Derek Showers, Ronnie Moore, Corny). SURELY Lambert is a better bet even for 60 mins?!
    Thanks for the report. I don't really understand why Lambert has been sidelined. Zohore's continued place in the team shows how desperately we need a striker. The analogy with Showers, Ronnie(I saw him score)Moore made me smile. Christ, we've had sone shit strikers over the years.

Old school just back thread

It occurred to me I hadnt seen a " just back" thread on here in a while after an away game.

Anyway just back from the game at a freezing Amex. They announced there were 451 City fans at the game but it looked half that number to me ( guess some had tickets and didn't bother a second time!).

Brighton fans were complaining at the end about our anti football tactics and they had a point but it nearly saw us getting a point. We gave possession to Brighton, stopped Lewis Dunk bringing the ball out from the back and man marked (and sometimes doubled up) on Knockaert and first half especially this was pretty effective. They were clearly frustrated by our tactics and we created the better chances, a Morrison header tipped over and a good save from a Hoilett shot. Second half we didn't create anything of note, there was one sequence where Halford took 4 consecutive long throws down the touch line resulting in a long throw from Gunnarson into the box, effective to a point but not very pretty! We also took our time over all throw ins and free kicks, understandable but also a sign of our limitations.

Brighton didn't create much but had so much possession you felt they would eventually find a way and it took a good turn and shot to finally break the deadlock.

We then brought on Noone and Healey and actually played some decent football for about 10 minutes but one blocked effort from Noone was all we achieved.

We all know we desperately need a striker, Brighton had their 2 back up strikers playing today and they both looked more threatening in front of goal than anything we have. In fairness to Zohore, like the rest of his teammates ,he worked tirelessly and ran all night. He is strong and pacy and willing to keep running but he simply doesn't look like he will score a goal ( mind he was very isolated this evening).

Halford only seems to be in the side because he is big, can head the ball and throw it some distance but is not "a footballer". Gunnarson covered a huge amount of ground tonight and Bamba was impressive, apart from that one slip that lead to the goal. All of the team worked very hard and stuck to their task but there is little flair in this side.

I expect we'll see more of the same against Reading on Saturday

Ah, obviously hadn't seen your thread before starting mine! ��

Re: Old school just back thread

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It occurred to me I hadnt seen a " just back" thread on here in a while after an away game.

Anyway just back from the game at a freezing Amex. They announced there were 451 City fans at the game but it looked half that number to me ( guess some had tickets and didn't bother a second time!).

Brighton fans were complaining at the end about our anti football tactics and they had a point but it nearly saw us getting a point. We gave possession to Brighton, stopped Lewis Dunk bringing the ball out from the back and man marked (and sometimes doubled up) on Knockaert and first half especially this was pretty effective. They were clearly frustrated by our tactics and we created the better chances, a Morrison header tipped over and a good save from a Hoilett shot. Second half we didn't create anything of note, there was one sequence where Halford took 4 consecutive long throws down the touch line resulting in a long throw from Gunnarson into the box, effective to a point but not very pretty! We also took our time over all throw ins and free kicks, understandable but also a sign of our limitations.

Brighton didn't create much but had so much possession you felt they would eventually find a way and it took a good turn and shot to finally break the deadlock.

We then brought on Noone and Healey and actually played some decent football for about 10 minutes but one blocked effort from Noone was all we achieved.

We all know we desperately need a striker, Brighton had their 2 back up strikers playing today and they both looked more threatening in front of goal than anything we have. In fairness to Zohore, like the rest of his teammates ,he worked tirelessly and ran all night. He is strong and pacy and willing to keep running but he simply doesn't look like he will score a goal ( mind he was very isolated this evening).

Halford only seems to be in the side because he is big, can head the ball and throw it some distance but is not "a footballer". Gunnarson covered a huge amount of ground tonight and Bamba was impressive, apart from that one slip that lead to the goal. All of the team worked very hard and stuck to their task but there is little flair in this side.

I like your comment about Halford. I actually said to my son during the game that he doesn't look like a footballer (like Scott Malone didn't until he scored that goal at QPR!) but as you say, he was clearly selected for a specific job which he did quite well until he was taken off.

Just got in, Brighton were shite, but we were shiter (is there such a word)

"OUR NEIL'S" first mistake.

THEY WERE THERE FOR THE TAKING

Just back myself Bobby and you got most of it spot on.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

It seems everyone tried hard last night although I was a little surprised at the team selection.
    There are clearly 3-4 players who offer very little (apart from battling ) which will no doubt cause NW problems if he does not replace for next year.
    This team is very limited, hence, our league position. It seems that NW does not want to waste money on January signings which will be little more that fighters to get us away from the relegation scrap.
    He may be right but I fear a similar story on Saturday.

Yes almost the perfect away performance was impressed with Brighton they were so comfortable on the ball and played some envious football on times.
    We defended very well but eventually conceded ... it was coming. When we did concede we showed we can go forward with a tweak to the team but by then all too late.
    We played and selected a team for draw it also showed how far behind challenging in this division we are. We have made steady progress and I believe it will continue but with this side it is not going to be champagne football!

Quote Originally Posted by Wokingbluebird View Post
    Yes almost the perfect away performance was impressed with Brighton they were so comfortable on the ball and played some envious football on times.
    We defended very well but eventually conceded ... it was coming. When we did concede we showed we can go forward with a tweak to the team but by then all too late.
    We played and selected a team for draw it also showed how far behind challenging in this division we are. We have made steady progress and I believe it will continue but with this side it is not going to be champagne football!
    Completely agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just got in, Brighton were shite, but we were shiter (is there such a word)

"OUR NEIL'S" first mistake.

THEY WERE THERE FOR THE TAKING
    Er, sorry, I think that we might have been at different games.

Brighton are certainly an accomplished team. We could have given them more of a game if we'd approached the match differently but on the other hand, I suspect that if we'd picked the team that we ended the game with to start with, we'd have conceded more than one goal and have always been chasing the game.

Colin probably saw this as a game that we'd in all likelihood not get anything from.

If our expectations weren't so poor, I think Warnocks want to gain points and scrape past teams would grind with our fans.

Mackay always got criticised for playing crap football even when we dominated the league.

We were scared of being relegated and now we don't care as long as we gain points.

He said after the Burton game he told the players at half time he doesn't care about entertaining in the slightest, just win.

They better hope they put a run together near the end of the year otherwise next years season tickets will be a very hard sell.

Er, sorry, I think that we might have been at different games.

Brighton are certainly an accomplished team. We could have given them more of a game if we'd approached the match differently but on the other hand, I suspect that if we'd picked the team that we ended the game with to start with, we'd have conceded more than one goal and have always been chasing the game.

Colin probably saw this as a game that we'd in all likelihood not get anything from.

If Brighton were so great, how come from the 80th minute on-wards they were the one's trying to see the game out by wasting time.

if we would have gone for the jugular earlier, it is my opinion, we would have got something out of the game.

If Brighton were so great, how come from the 80th minute on-wards they were the one's trying to see the game out by wasting time.

if we would have gone for the jugular earlier, it is my opinion, we would have got something out of the game.
    Yes, of course, it is your opinion.

Interestingly it is the only one like this - every other one is to the contrary.

Just opinions though as you say.

Interestingly it is the only one like this - every other one is to the contrary.

They used the old trick of sending the fella who is going to be substituted, to the far side of the pitch 3 (that's THREE) times, to soak up the minutes.

Their goalie couldn't kick for toffee and we put no pressure at all on their centre halves.

workmanlike display, but we could have got something out of the game if we would have attacked them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    If our expectations weren't so poor, I think Warnocks want to gain points and scrape past teams would grind with our fans.

Mackay always got criticised for playing crap football even when we dominated the league.

We were scared of being relegated and now we don't care as long as we gain points.

He said after the Burton game he told the players at half time he doesn't care about entertaining in the slightest, just win.

They better hope they put a run together near the end of the year otherwise next years season tickets will be a very hard sell.
    No Malky Mackay always got blamed for playing crap football when we were winning the league by some fans. Most of those who say that now came to that party late on because they started saying it either when he was in charge in the Premier League or after he was sacked - I may not agree with you, but I have more respect for those like yourself who were critical of the style we used at a time when we winning most weeks than those who started saying it retrospectively.

I agree that, under different circumstances, Warnock would be getting stick for the way we are playing, but he is still at a stage where he can say that this is a squad he inherited and we do have the precedent of how dreadful we were when we tried to play a more expansive game under Trollope.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 25-01-17 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No Malky Mackay always got blamed for playing crap football when we were winning the league by some fans. Most of those who say that now came to that party late on because they started saying it either when he was in charge in the Premier League or after he was sacked - I may not agree with you, but I have more respect for those like yourself who were critical of the style we used at a time when we winning most weeks than those who started saying it retrospectively.

I agree that, under different circumstances, Warnock would be getting stick for the way we are playing, but he is still at a stage where he can say that this is a squad he inherited and we do have the precedent of how dreadful we were when we tried to play a more expansive game under Trollope.
    Ye I am not complaining at the moment. I prefer winning than losing and going to the Burton game it was the first time in a long time I felt confident.

He has turned us around.

When it does go bad though as you say, retrospectively people will use it against him.

It is strange as prior to the last few games we were very, very good at attacking. We could have scored about 5-6 in each game if our finishing and final balls were better.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Thanks for the report. I don't really understand why Lambert has been sidelined. Zohore's continued place in the team shows how desperately we need a striker. The analogy with Showers, Ronnie(I saw him score)Moore made me smile. Christ, we've had sone shit strikers over the years.
    I saw 'Danny' Showers score a brace in a 2-0 win at the ground with the biggest capacity in the football league - before all-seater stadia. Went up in Frankie's coach (from Barry).

Gary Stevens? I admit that I had to look up his record for us as I seemed to recall that he scored quite a few for us. In about four seasons he scored 44 goal in 150 appearances. He finished top scorer for us in two of those seasons. Now he may not have been an early version of Ibrahimovic, but hardly hopeless!

A very polite way of saying he hasn't got a f ucking clue!