+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bluff or reality check from Warnock?

A bluff or reality check from Warnock?

From the BBC website: "Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock doubts he will sign a new striker before the transfer window closes on 31 January.

Warnock says it would be "nice" to add up to two new players to his squad, but recruiting a striker is unlikely. Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock doubts he will sign a new striker before the transfer window closes on 31 January. In the meantime, Warnock says he is "quite happy with what we've got".

He added: "I think the club's got to look more for quality strikers, quality signings in the summer, really."

Warnock has hinted he may not stay beyond the end of the season unless owner Vincent Tan backs his recruitment plans for a promotion challenge next season."

More toothless displays in the offing, then? Are there really no better strikers around that would come here on loan? Or is he trying to muddy the waters? Guess we'll know for sure at the end of the current transfer window.

That Warnock isn't throwing his toys out of the pram after meeting Tan suggests he knew what the score was when he came to City.

Re: A bluff or reality check from Warnock?

Who knows, it's all ifs and buts, however it does 'sound' as if Warnock has been given no funds and no assurances.
    It is hard to picture that he knew that from the outset and was completely happy with it, but who knows right now.

I still get the feeling that VT is of a mind to honour his promises, and make sure he doesn't have a 'failed' business in his portfolio, but money for promotion? Money to meet the dreams of the fans?
    I suspect he has a number of reasons to believe he already did that, on his terms and was generally given the cold shoulder, or supposedly seen off.

I'd love to be wrong on that. Which is why I was so pleased to see Warnock roll up. I thought, surely that he could not be a man interested in coming here to scrape the barrel at this stage in his career. Therefore this must indicate that the Club hierarchy still have ambition.

Not so sure how that is working out.

Still. All that said, things feel a lot more competitive, fans are enjoying following City. It feels vastly improved while Warnock is here.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 25-01-17 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    From the BBC website: "Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock doubts he will sign a new striker before the transfer window closes on 31 January.

Warnock says it would be "nice" to add up to two new players to his squad, but recruiting a striker is unlikely. Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock doubts he will sign a new striker before the transfer window closes on 31 January. In the meantime, Warnock says he is "quite happy with what we've got".

He added: "I think the club's got to look more for quality strikers, quality signings in the summer, really."

Warnock has hinted he may not stay beyond the end of the season unless owner Vincent Tan backs his recruitment plans for a promotion challenge next season."

More toothless displays in the offing, then? Are there really no better strikers around that would come here on loan? Or is he trying to muddy the waters? Guess we'll know for sure at the end of the current transfer window.

That Warnock isn't throwing his toys out of the pram after meeting Tan suggests he knew what the score was when he came to City.
    Maybe, just maybe we're really close to FFP this year, that if we spend any money in January, we won't be able to buy in the summer? That's one thought anyway and that if we are clever in the summer, we might be able to get through FFP next winter too? Who knows!

I think the opposite. When he came he was instantly talking of promotion next season. Now he's hinting that he won't be here next season if funds aren't available. I think that's a bit of a climb down. I wouldn't mind guessing that a few unofficial assurances were made with regard bringing in players - there was enough talk from Warnock of us signing a few in this transfer window, albeit that we'd have to shift a few as well. Now there seems to be nothing but frustration from our manager with regard the situation.

It could be possibilities that moving the players on are harder than the manager expected, and this has been the case for all our managers since OGS.

What I would imagine is the situation is the manager is given a budget for the year, this includes wages, so if you ship a big earner out, then you can bring in a lower earner and a fee.

I would think that if you took a look at our budget it is still high by championship standards, but within that we have too many people taking wages but not contributing to the first team.

Warnock may want the owner to release new funds, whilst the owner wants to see savings being made, these saving will be made when players contracts expire, however the manager wants to see more action in the short term and that is the game being played now.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It could be possibilities that moving the players on are harder than the manager expected, and this has been the case for all our managers since OGS.

What I would imagine is the situation is the manager is given a budget for the year, this includes wages, so if you ship a big earner out, then you can bring in a lower earner and a fee.

I would think that if you took a look at our budget it is still high by championship standards, but within that we have too many people taking wages but not contributing to the first team.

Warnock may want the owner to release new funds, whilst the owner wants to see savings being made, these saving will be made when players contracts expire, however the manager wants to see more action in the short term and that is the game being played now.
    I think this may be nearer the truth.
    I am sure we have been open to offers for many of our players but interest has been extremely slow. Manga comes to mind.
    NW has already stated that he does not want to make "knee jerk" signings that may not be part of his plans next year. I think that makes sense so the fans will have to get used to Zohore and Lambert alternating up front.
    Midfield is my main worry as none of them would warrant a place in a top 6 side. Unfortunately this is all too obvious when you witness our football, which has been much more gritty and hoofball.
    When you witness teams like Fulham (who are 9th in the table) you see the gulf in class and ability.
    Even at his age and with lack of pace I fail to understand why Whittingham is not in the starting 11,
    He is light years ahead of Ralls, who has shown virtually nothing during his complete time at City.

A significant portion of this season's budget was wasted by Trollope. Lambert, Amos, Huws, Immers, Fred and Richards have been failures. Add that to the dross both Slade and Ole purchased plus the sale of Marshall and Fabio and it's not surprising we were in the bottom three before Colin arrived.

He will be off unless Tan supports him. Unfortunately we keep giving long contracts to average players and has beens.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I think this may be nearer the truth.
    I am sure we have been open to offers for many of our players but interest has been extremely slow. Manga comes to mind.
    NW has already stated that he does not want to make "knee jerk" signings that may not be part of his plans next year. I think that makes sense so the fans will have to get used to Zohore and Lambert alternating up front.
    Midfield is my main worry as none of them would warrant a place in a top 6 side. Unfortunately this is all too obvious when you witness our football, which has been much more gritty and hoofball.
    When you witness teams like Fulham (who are 9th in the table) you see the gulf in class and ability.
    Even at his age and with lack of pace I fail to understand why Whittingham is not in the starting 11,
    He is light years ahead of Ralls, who has shown virtually nothing during his complete time at City.
    There are games going on throughout the club. These may be.

Leaving Whitts out until he signs a new contract on lower terms, its been mentioned in the press that NW wants to keep him but the new contract needs to reflect his age.

Noone looks like he is one who want to be off loaded again i think there is a wage issue with him, both at the club and with teams wanting to take him on.

Manga is another who the club would be happy to leave, he is on a big wage and his contract is up in the summer. So we will see players coming in to cover that wage, but that will be something for next year.

At the moment i think any player is available to move on, so what we are seeing is the manager telling the players he wants them out, and whether they want to take the monetary hit at the moment.

Sounds like he's made his mind up and he's off.

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    A significant portion of this season's budget was wasted by Trollope. Lambert, Amos, Huws, Immers, Fred and Richards have been failures. Add that to the dross both Slade and Ole purchased plus the sale of Marshall and Fabio and it's not surprising we were in the bottom three before Colin arrived.

He will be off unless Tan supports him. Unfortunately we keep giving long contracts to average players and has beens.

I agree with the above, although Jazz Richards probably has a part to play , as back up or instead of Bennett at left back.

Perhaps Warnock could stop moaning so much, especially after blowing the wages of a player that could have been used in the outfield on McGregor. We now have 4 goalkeepers, and Amos is rumoured to be on silly money, so no wonder Tan won't spend anymore. He's already bought in 4 in McGregor, Halford, Bamba and Hoillet, and as yet no senior players have departed. Manga especially is one that would help the wages bill if he went.

Sorry forgot about Immers leaving, but as stated above Amos, Huws, Gounongbe and up to yesterday Richards were not featuring with Warnock preferring Kennedy and Healy on the bench!

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    If I was Tan - I would want to get my money back - even if that takes 10 years, I would also not bother trying for promotion - as he has done that before by spending a lot of money - with no guarantee of either promotion or even staying in the prem. Add on top of that a vocal minority/majority (I dont know which) then constantly criticised him and booed him every time he came to a game....FFS and people think he should invest more so they can see their team in the Prem... I would not be surprised if he keeps the club ticking over not going up or down until he has milked it like Hammam did - and then sell it.

It would be great if Tan give Warnock some funds , personally I think we just need a couple of strikers who can score. Defence is ok, midfield could do with 1 in and 2 or 3 out. Fred and Lambert can go
    You don't get your money back in football, there is no point in Tan even trying to recoup his money at the moment, he knows as well as anybody that, that money has gone.

What the question is now, is whether he can run the club without huge losses, and at this level even that is difficult. The game has changed now and you have clubs in this division investing more and more money at trying to get out of it (Under MM £15m in transfer fees would give you a good chance at promotion, now its nearer £30-40m).

Unfortunately the club still needs to rebalance, partially due to wages carried over from the prem and partly down to some bad decisions. The question is then does Warnock want to hang around in this transitional period (his age suggests he hasn’t the time) or does he leave the club.

I would suggest that the soundings at the moment are trying to force the clubs hand a little, my gut feeling at the moment is that Warnock will be here next season.

I get the impression that as much as "we are his kind of people", the only thing keeping Warnock away from his pipe and slippers is the prospect of mounting a promotion challenge.

For that to happen we either need to spend some money next summer.

Even if he does stay, we have to recognise that he's not a long term solution.

You don't get your money back in football, there is similarpoint in Tan even trying to recoup his money at the moment, he knows as well as anybody that, that money has gone.

What the question is now, is whether he can run the club without huge losses, and at this level even that is difficult. The game has changed now and you have clubs in this division investing more and more money at trying to get out of it (Under MM £15m in transfer fees would give you a good chance at promotion, now its nearer £30-40m).

Unfortunately the club still needs to rebalance, partially due to wages carried over from the prem and partly down to some bad decisions. The question is then does Warnock want to hang around in this transitional period (his age suggests he hasn’t the time) or does he leave the club.

I would suggest that the soundings at the moment are trying to force the clubs hand a little, my gut feeling at the moment is that Warnock will be here next season.
    The likes of Villa spent over £20m on two strikers this season, Newcastle similar amounts on Gayle and Ritchie. We are not in that ballpark. With the exception of Bamba and Gunner the squad is midtable at best.

Malky had a quality backbone of Marshall, Heaton, McNaughton, Hudson and Whitts to start with. Even in the unlikely event of Tan throwing another £30m at it, promotion would still be a lottery and a gamble a successful businessman would not be prepared to take. The guy has already lost a fortune backing us.

The likes of Villa spent over £20m on two strikers this season, Newcastle similar amounts on Gayle and Ritchie. We are not in that ballpark. With the exception of Bamba and Gunner the squad is midtable at best.

Malky had a quality backbone of Marshall, Heaton, McNaughton, Hudson and Whitts to start with. Even in the unlikely event of Tan throwing another £30m at it, promotion would still be a lottery and a gamble a successful businessman would not be prepared to take. The guy has already lost a fortune backing us.
    Exactly.

The club needs a time of steady improvement, there is an alternative way of by shrewd signings and developing youth, and selling on those players at inflated prices to the premier league clubs that are now awash with cash that they want to waste.

Ultimately i don't believe we will throw amount the sums that lead to guaranteed promotion, however we may have a budget to push for a play-off gamble. Its just whether Warnock wants that.

That being said there is definitely a call for keeping him on the football board to ensure we dont just keep repeating the mistakes of the past.

I think you can add Jordan Mutch to that group and didn't Malky get Bellamy while he was still very much a Premiership player ? I know there were lots of complaints from other managers in the league.
    Tan backed him with plenty of money to get to the promise land and then a lot more to survive which was virtually pissed away.
    Hence why Tan is cautious.

Happy with what he's got? No decent striker???

What's the point in bringing in a striker for X wages a month only to cement a mid table space?

Only real benefit would be to bring someone permanently so they have time to gel with the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Happy with what he's got? No decent striker???
    I dont think he is happy with what he have got, however i dont think he will get relegated with what we have.

The decision now is whether we can get the player we want/need at the moment, or whether it will just be a short term signing which we may then have to get rid of in the short term.

The decision may have been made to stick now, and twist in the summer.

Its amazing really. Most people were eulogising about Rickie only 5 months ago. An ex international with a proven track record. Those of us who cauthioned against going OTT about him were shouted down..... Now we dont appear to want him even though hes on a two year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Its amazing really. Most people were eulogising about Rickie only 5 months ago. An ex international with a proven track record. Those of us who cauthioned against going OTT about him were shouted down..... Now we dont appear to want him even though hes on a two year contract?
    Could you kindly provide a link to these "shouted down" posts?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    I assume you're referring to the following exchange between yourself and ccfc casual?

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...hlight=Lambert

You don't get your money back in football, there is no point in Tan even trying to recoup his money at the moment, he knows as well as anybody that, that money has gone.

I agree with this assessment. People are still confusing Football Club with Business. If you read the report on ManUre return to #1 Financially, it specifies 3 revenue streams, Match Day, Broadcast & Commercial. City's position on the first two speaks for itself, the 3rd failed to materialise when we did not become "Malaysia's team", which was one on Tan's prime objectives.

There are a lot of Championship sides currently living on the bubble and could be looking at major implosions in the next couple of years.

I dont think he is happy with what he have got, however i dont think he will get relegated with what we have.

The decision now is whether we can get the player we want/need at the moment, or whether it will just be a short term signing which we may then have to get rid of in the short term.

The decision may have been made to stick now, and twist in the summer.
    I think he's content with the playing staff he currently has because he believes they are good enough to finish outside the relegation places - which is the only thing that concerns him. If I had to guess, he's on £10k a week with a £250k bonus for staying up. Over eight months that would compute to £300k net in his sky rocket... that's far in excess of what Theresa May's purse will bulge with over the same period. It's eye-watering money for someone to manage a gaggle of oh-hum Championship footballers. I also believe he doesn't give a monkey's about what Vinny will provide for a players' budget for next season. His only consideration will be how much he's prepared to pay him.

It's 10 years since Warnock became manager of Crystal Palace to loudly proclaim it would be his last job in football. Cardiff is his his sixth appointment since then. I think he is addicted to football, but loves the filthy lucre even more.

He's suggested due to his age he wouldn't be interested in remaining manager next season without a realistic chance of promotion, yet that's what he took on last October when he was a year younger at 67.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I agree with this assessment. People are still confusing Football Club with Business. If you read the report on ManUre return to #1 Financially, it specifies 3 revenue streams, Match Day, Broadcast & Commercial. City's position on the first two speaks for itself, the 3rd failed to materialise when we did not become "Malaysia's team", which was one on Tan's prime objectives.

There are a lot of Championship sides currently living on the bubble and could be looking at major implosions in the next couple of years.
    Good points. You're definitely right that VT had high hopes on the Malaysian that never took off. So I think we can assume that VT isn't likely to gamble as he did initially as the reward has proven to be small for his ambitions.

The game has changed since MM took us up, and longer term strategies are needed to compete with the bigger fish in the Championship. My major concerns with Warnock since the day he arrived is that I've always thought he has over-recruited players when he has been successful. But one of his major strengths is that he seems to be an outstanding motivator. So with that in mind, I'd like to see Warnock get the best out of players already on our books before discarding them. He's done very well with Zahore. Can he do the same with the likes of Kennedy, Saadi and even Huws?

The point on the implosions of other Championship clubs is the one to watch. Yes this has always been the trend, but it looks like this pattern could be amplified in the seasons ahead. If CCFC can tread water for the next couple of seasons we could become a bigger fish in the pond by default.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 25-01-17 at 16:09.