+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we going to buy any players?

Are we going to buy any players?

I haven't even seen rumours.

Warnock's going on about the summer window and being backed. So I can't see anything significant happening now.

I am not particularly confident in the current crop and our strength in depth if our form nose dives.

Bristol City were flying at one point now look at them.

Not that I think that'll happen, but who knows.

Re: Are we going to buy any players?

No

cool

We could spend 50million and not go up this season, and we don't look like going down either, so there isn't really a big incentive to splash the cash.

I suppose the other reason to buy players is to get a few more bums on seats, which we could do with

I hope we don't spend another Penny and use for promotion in a year or 2

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird View Post
    I hope we don't spend another Penny and use for promotion in a year or 2
    Oh right!!......... Absolutely no chance

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Oh right!!......... Absolutely no chance
    Warnock is averaging 1.5625 points a game with our current squad, which gets 72 points in a season. That might see us sneak into the playoffs next year on it's own, so if we can get 3/4 good players in, I don't see why we couldn't make a fist of it.

Our top scoring striker has 4, and we've used 4 keepers to replace Marshy,all of whom that are dodgy. A half decent striker, keeper, winger and centre mid and I'd be optimistic. If we're smart, can pick up a few frees and loans, maybe spend the money on a striker, we could have a shot.

I can't understand why Warnock felt the need to go and ge another 'keeper. Murphy was doing OK and Amos would have been alright until end of season. We needed strengthening elsewhere. I expect McGregor is ion big money as is Amos, so why have 2 of them. We're stick with Amos now for the res of season as he's on a season long loan and Bolton won't want him back. Th wages would have been better spent on an outfield player.

Warnock has signed McGregor on loan, Halford who looks not up to it is unfit, Bamba who's been OK, Hoillet who's been OK but gets substituted in almost every game he starts, Chamakh and Richardson both of whom mad no impact. The players out are Immers and a bunch if youngsters. Mind you a lot could happen between now and the deadline, although thus being City I doubt if it will

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Warnock's going on about the summer window and being backed. So I can't see anything significant happening now.

I am not particularly confident in the current crop and our strength in depth if our form nose dives.

I think more and more of us have come to the conclusion that Vinny's one objective is to grudgingly spend as little as possible to maintain Championship status this season and in future. It also appears he prefers to sulk like a kid than attend a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Vinny's one objective is to grudgingly spend as little as possible to maintain Championship status
    Ideally but I don't even think that's essential

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I think more and more of us have come to the conclusion that Vinny's one objective is to grudgingly spend as little as possible to maintain Championship status this season and in future. It also appears he prefers to sulk like a kid than attend a game.
    Spending a load of cash now would be a completely futile exercise. It doesn't mean that tan is not interested, just that he is not stupid.
    If we find ourselves to be competitive with the top clubs any time soon then we will see if tan is indifferent or just being patient

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We could spend 50million and not go up this season, and we don't look like going down either, so there isn't really a big incentive to splash the cash.
    sensible thinking

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    sensible thinking
    It is and I agree it's a waste of time to spend now but I also think it's more likely than not that we won't spend in the summer either.

FFP rules can easily be circumnavigated in the accounts too so I don't buy that's holding Tan back either, he's just not interested imo

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    It is and I agree it's a waste of time to spend now but I also think it's more likely than not that we won't spend in the summer either.

FFP rules can easily be circumnavigated in the accounts too so I don't buy that's holding Tan back either, he's just not interested imo
    Aston Villa have signed at least two players who are looking like they'll be key to a title challenge next year. I imagine there are others out there who could do similar for us.

Tom Lawrence in. Huws and Mark Harris out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Indeed. We circumvented them ourselves when we were under a transfer embargo and KV Kortrijk (proprietor V. Tan Esq.) bought Kenneth Zohore for a million quid then immediately loaned him to us

Blue in the Face

Warnock quote today "I don't envisage running up the touchline to the fax machine during the game. We're not looking for major signings."

Doesn't look as if any are going to be leaving if you believe Warnock. No enquiries for anybody at the Club.

Banned

The club should be trying to finish as close to the top as possible instead of just trying to survive.
    Looks like another nothing season and we have had plenty of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

We don't need to i think we have enough from now to the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    The club should be trying to finish as close to the top as possible instead of just trying to survive.
    Looks like another nothing season and we have had plenty of them.
    Have we?

It feels most similar to Malky's first season (Halford seems like the sort of player Malky, Slade or Warnock would sign and the reaction to his signing would have been a lot different if it was the middle man) and that was when we best combined long-term planning and having a go.