+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA LA LAND Award after award But dont be taken in.

LA LA LAND Award after award But dont be taken in.

OK , I know it was my own fault . Always liked Ryan Gosling movies, usually plays the moody part bad guy part good guy.
    So when I see he has a movie out that is mopping up all the awards, what is there to check out , it mentions musical in the reviews, cant be a musical musical because its Ryan bad boy Gosling.

Last weekend, myself and my partner duly toddles of the the odeon ,gets comfy and so it began .

Opening scene , people in a traffic jam on the freeway. Gosling gets out his car and bursts into song , everyone else gets out their car and bursts into song , at this point my girlfriend looks at me as if to say WTF. Dont worry I think its Ryan Gosling , any minute now he will be involved in some serious acting that will be thought provoking , sad and happy all rolled into one.
    After an hour of watching him sing and dance his way through the film (and ****ing tap dance FFS) we had to evacuate the building.
    Its a musical like the sound of music , no its worse than the sound of music . Its terrible.
    If you like musicals fill yer boots. I hated it.

Re: LA LA LAND Award after award But dont be taken in.

What an unusual way to come out of the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    OK , I know it was my own fault . Always liked Ryan Gosling movies, usually plays the moody part bad guy part good guy.
    So when I see he has a movie out that is mopping up all the awards, what is there to check out , it mentions musical in the reviews, cant be a musical musical because its Ryan bad boy Gosling.

Last weekend, myself and my partner duly toddles of the the odeon ,gets comfy and so it began .

Opening scene , people in a traffic jam on the freeway. Gosling gets out his car and bursts into song , everyone else gets out their car and bursts into song , at this point my girlfriend looks at me as if to say WTF. Dont worry I think its Ryan Gosling , any minute now he will be involved in some serious acting that will be thought provoking , sad and happy all rolled into one.
    After an hour of watching him sing and dance his way through the film (and ****ing tap dance FFS) we had to evacuate the building.
    Its a musical like the sound of music , no its worse than the sound of music . Its terrible.
    If you like musicals fill yer boots. I hated it.
    So in summary you went to watch a musical, and hated it because it was a musical.

I've heard this complaint a lot. My impression is that because of all the rave reviews many people expected this movie to somehow transcend the musical genre.

I have not seen it myself. But I intend to.

I cant stand musicals so for that reason I'm out (not in that way colonel)

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    So in summary you went to watch a musical, and hated it because it was a musical.
    Yes, I've seen the film , very average, being generous 6/10, but no way deserves to be Oscar winning.
    To put into context, Grease is a far better film, and LaLaLand doesn't start to compare with Saturday Night Fever.

Blue in the Face

Writer-Director or Whiplash, which is one of my favourate modern movies. Reckon I'll love La La Land.

So there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Yes, I've seen the film , very average, being generous 6/10, but no way deserves to be Oscar winning.
    To put into context, Grease is a far better film, and LaLaLand doesn't start to compare with Saturday Night Fever.
    Its different though, and when you are an oscar critic watching the same big budget films over and over again, that bit of difference will get it nominations.

If you are a middle aged football fan, that's doesn't like musicals then its most probably not your thing. That's precisely why im not going to bother watching it, its not like its a secret that it's a musical

Yep , well summarised.

Its different though, and when you are an oscar critic watching the same big budget films over and over again, that bit of difference will get it nominations.

If you are a middle aged football fan, that's doesn't like musicals then its most probably not your thing. That's precisely why im not going to bother watching it, its not like its a secret that it's a musical
    Being a football fan doesn't preclude me from anything. Recently went to see Carmen the opera and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    If the people on here had done their job properly I would have been pre warned that this musical actually was a musical .
    I have done my bit for the board. No one else will have to suffer the same fate I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    What an unusual way to come out of the closet.
    Bit harsh Colonel.

Saturday Night Fever isn't a musical. It's just a film with a popular music soundtrack.

Mrs wants to see it.
    Best she goes with friends I think.

Emperors clothes by the sound of it with the poncey critics

Other than at a screening of Rob Roy or Braveheart where he's stood on his seat every five minutes cheering the deaths of English soldiers, I find it very hard to imagine Jimmy sat in a cinema.

I believe someone's guessed his password and is taking the Arthur Bliss.

The clips from it which are being shown on every " plug " show at the moment are just like cheap pop videos in terms of production values and quality.
    Not for me and like Mama Mia if the wife wants to see it she can go with others or buy the DVD when it has been reduced to £4.95.

Try 'Springtime For Hitler'
    https://youtu.be/kHmYIo7bcUw

When I heard it was a Hollywood musical set in Hollywood about how much Hollywood loves Hollywood musicals I knew it wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When I heard it was a Hollywood musical set in Hollywood about how much Hollywood loves Hollywood musicals I knew it wasn't for me.
    Good point.

As for comparisons with Sound of Music, made above -
    the critics panned SoM, and also panned Les Miserables (when it opened in the 80s)

So them swooning over this one makes me suspect that it is pants.

Lets be honest the majority of Oscar winning films are poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    Lets be honest the majority of Oscar winning films are poop!
    I refer you to my comment above.
    Critics rarely agree with the public on what makes a "good" film.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Try 'Springtime For Hitler'
    https://youtu.be/kHmYIo7bcUw
    "Don't be silly be a smarty come and join the nazi party"

That's a bit patronising. Try to get to the cinema,most weeks.Enjoy all sorts of stuff and am completely opened minded beforehand. Lalaland was just watchable. Did not walk out like we did week before during the awful Assassins creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Other than at a screening of Rob Roy or Braveheart where he's stood on his seat every five minutes cheering the deaths of English soldiers, I find it very hard to imagine Jimmy sat in a cinema.

I believe someone's guessed his password and is taking the Arthur Bliss.
    As I struggle to envisage your good self at the actual football Mr Organ.

"I say old chap that was a jolly decent goal"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Not seen it yet but I will, but this is probably the reason its been nominated so highly, Hollywood loves celebrating Hollywood.
    I may hate it as not a huge fan of musicals but, Emma Stone..