+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Potential UK USA trade deal

Potential UK USA trade deal

Anyone else get the feeling that any deal conducted between the right of the Tory party and the trump administration, both of whom have strong links to private healthcare is only going to end in the selling off of the NHS and anything else we've got.

Ttip will seem like a fond memory by the time this is all worked out. We will be desparate for any sort of a deal and end up getting shafted.

Re: Potential UK USA trade deal

Any trade deal after Brexit with a major player like the USA will do.
    In relation to the NHS it's simply unfundable , and not sustainable , fees like the dentist charges , should be charged for certain non emergency type aspects of GP and A and E visits.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    In relation to the NHS it's simply unfundable , and not sustainable , fees like the dentist charges , should be charged for certain non emergency type aspects of GP and A and E visits.
    It is sustainable, if it is funded properly. Any alternative to the way it is funded will end up with us paying more.

Any deal with a big player is not automatically worth pursuing. Australia have a trade deal with the us, and it is suggested that they have the raw end of that deal.

Interesting piece here looking at the UKs relationship with the US and how it could affect Europe.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2...ean-order.html

Have you even thought about this?

Any deal? Are you sure about this?
    Do you have any evidence to assert your comment that the NHS is unfundable? Why is it that the NHS always ends up in crisis when the Tories are in power?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I did some work for the LHA - London Health Authority and the implementation of a mental health system that alerted Police, Hospitals and mental health staff when any call they had involved a person with mental health problems or from a known address etc.

The system that we tried to build - was to be blunt - not fit for purpose, so in the end we bought an off the shelf product from an American company - based in America and we configured to suit etc - at a cost of many millions.

The system worked great, the NHS were happy with it and the project was delivered on time. Is that the sort of thing you dont want ?

I would be more focused on NHS wastage and getting rid of any PFI initiatives instead of worrying who built the bloody system. And pay for a decent contract lawyer so the NHS doesnt get screwed over by the UK Govt.
    I frequently work with surgeons in the us and UK healthcare systems.
    We charge the states double what we charge the UK hospitals for the same equipment.
    Additionally many Us surgeons end up having to modify their treatment in line with what the insurance system will pay for rather than what is needed.
    For instance, if you have a bone impingement in one of your joints I've heard of some insurance companies only paying the Dr if they have removed 5mm of bone or more, even if removing 3mm would have sorted the issue.
    Also many of the surgeons I've worked with wouldn't touch anyone over the age of 45 as their recovery is statistically worse so that has an impact on their performance statistics. If you are a higher risk for any reason then the best surgeons aren't available to you.
    The USA system is fantastically well funded, and at the forefront of many things, but if you tried to run it on what we pay for the NHS it would be an unmitigated disaster.
    Likewise if we paid into the NHS what Americans pay for their healthcare it would be the best in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We charge the states double what we charge the UK hospitals for the same equipment.
    Additionally many Us surgeons end up having to modify their treatment in line with what the insurance system will pay for rather than what is needed.
    For instance, if you have a bone impingement in one of your joints I've heard of some insurance companies only paying the Dr if they have removed 5mm of bone or more, even if removing 3mm would have sorted the issue.
    Also many of the surgeons I've worked with wouldn't touch anyone over the age of 45 as their recovery is statistically worse so that has an impact on their performance statistics. If you are a higher risk for any reason then the best surgeons aren't available to you.
    The USA system is fantastically well funded, and at the forefront of many things, but if you tried to run it on what we pay for the NHS it would be an unmitigated disaster.
    Likewise if we paid into the NHS what Americans pay for their healthcare it would be the best in the world.
    Like USA - only for those who can afford to?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

That specific example is understandable though, as removing 3mm of bone might relieve the symptoms, but has a higher risk of recurrence which would then lead to the insurance being liable for any secondary treatment along with a potential law suit for not permanently treating the problem.
    I know as I've had the procedure on my shoulder and I used to work with Orthopaedic Surgeons

Very interesting points you make.